Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructional DVD

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hiya

can anyone supply links to instructional dvs's.

amazon helpfully shows me bikini ski club but not much else (i think i'll order it tho Toofy Grin )

slush and rubble has 4 warren smith film but they refer to them as "solutions" which is just too American for me (to quote my american uberboss "i dont want anything leaving the barn halfbaked" and "we literally [insert metaphor]")

also which one do i want lesson 1 is "Lesson 1 gives solutions for carving, steeps, moguls and freeskiing (powder/off-piste). DVD extras include ‘ski biomechanics’, ‘off-piste safety’, ‘ski physiology’ and ‘ski maintenance’."

Lesson 2 gives intermediate skiers some essential solutions for carving, steeps, moguls and freeskiing. DVD extras include ‘core strength training’, ‘mountain bike training’, ‘ski biomechanics continued’ and ‘the script’.

so they're both the same then...

help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no they are slightly different. DVD 2 being more advanced.

Very helpful DVDs with plenty of things to go out and try.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shelob, maybe get both, view one now and leave the other wrapped up for later?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hobbiteater, Warren Smith is a Brit & runs his own academy in Verbier. Whilst his instructional DVD's (& the companion books) are all based around the same 4 headings, ie carving, steeps, moguls and freeskiing, they are a progression in learning with each DVD/book detailing more advanced instruction & exercises. I can recommend them. BTW, he's got 3 DVD's with a 4th out soon.

Many snowHeads also recommend the Phil Smith DVD's although I haven't seen them myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.avalancheawareness.co.uk/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Adrian, I hope you can recommend that DVD as I've just ordered one Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
Many snowHeads also recommend the Phil Smith DVD's although I haven't seen them myself.

I've just got the Phil Smith's Ultimate Control DVD. It's the first (only!) instructional DVD I've watched and I think it's quite good. I can't tell the difference between toppling and rolling yet though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon - Mine has just arrived but have not yet had an opportunity to view it. Perhaps we can compare notes in a few days time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomsk wrote:
I can't tell the difference between toppling and rolling yet though.

'Toppling' moves the center of mass, 'rolling' refers to the skis relative to the center of mass?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
Tomsk wrote:
I can't tell the difference between toppling and rolling yet though.

'Toppling' moves the center of mass, 'rolling' refers to the skis relative to the center of mass?

Yes, Phil explains it very well in the DVD. I just can't see the difference when he demonstrates. However I can do the motions, on the lounge carpet that is. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tomsk wrote:

Yes, Phil explains it very well in the DVD. I just can't see the difference when he demonstrates. However I can do the motions, on the lounge carpet that is. Smile

Toppling should be visible either at the hips (if angulated) or at the shoulders (if banked).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tomsk, I thought much the same, when you look closely you can see to start with for toppling he quite obviously lifts his foot off the ground then topples, as he skis down, this becomes less pronounced, but you can see the action still happening.

Makes a note to self - to watch it again...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Phil's ultimate control and all terrain DVD's are very good and he demonstrates the techniques very clearly on the DVD's. I think they are useful to watch, and then take one or two things to the slope to try out each session. Phil is a very good teacher and this comes over in the DVD. I'd recommend both of them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recently bought "Ultimate Control" (Phil Smith) for my wife (intermediate) and she found it very easy and logical to follow. Even as an experienced skier myself, I found it pretty useful. It explained a lot of things I do subconsciously without even realising. Toppling is basically removing support from the inside ski (sometimes even lifting it slightly) and allowing yourself to literally topple onto the edges. Rolling is simply rolling both skis onto their edges without moving your overall weight. I think in reality most people combine both to various extents. I know I do.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone seen the ski coach dvd?

Any good?

thanks Deb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy