Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for deliaskis' resort report:

Obertauern (New Year 2004/5)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obertauern is awesome. I ended up there totally by mistake. Our car had this GPS navigation system and at 4 am in the morning we were in Vienna. Our friend told us to go to Obertruan so we typed in Ober and we couldnt remember the name. I looked through the list and didnt recognize anything. We finally decided that it was definately obertauern. About 30 min later I thought we were going the wrong way but I was so tired and spun out that I just kept driving. We ended up at Obertauern at 8:00 and they had a foot of fresh snow. It was an amazing place to ski. We didnt realize we were at the wrong place until we asked someone where Hallstadt and the lake were. We got some pretty funnny looks.
BTW We stayed down in the village of Tweng about 15min south. We payed only 18 eur each for a beautiful room in a real cozy alpine village.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another report on Obertauern from fatirishman:

Obertauern (March 2007)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought I'd just add to this thread rather than repeating a lot of the stuff already written.

Well, one of the best ski holidays we've had, loved the resort and the skiing and loved the hotel! Just the OH and I went, from 12-19 Jan 2008.

This was our first time doing DIY and it was so easy. The thing that normally puts me off DIY is getting form airport to resort but the resort very thoughtfully has a transfer service bookable on their website http://www.obertauern.com/ 42 Euros return. We booked the wonderful Hotel Schneider from the web, on the recommendation of Ray Zorro. And the cheapest flights were BA, with ski carriage included.

Arrived at Salzburg airport, there was a group of 5 other Brits also staying at the Hotel Schneider who were on our flight so as soon as we gathered at the guy holding up the sign, the taxi minibus was off snowHead

The skiing: We both thought the ski area was really great. All the skiing is contained within the bowl of the valley, no pistes go 'over the top' to the next valley. A lot of variation in runs and you can do a circuit in either direction, do-able in a couple of hours. Depending on the piste/snow conditions, some of the higher reds can be challenging - we did most of them in limited visibility in the clouds, I think that helped! Toofy Grin I'm quite a cautious skier but managed most of the runs fine, the OH is super-confident but certainly didn't feel the skiing was too easy. I did ski a couple of black runs (they weren't real blacks though Toofy Grin ) and there were a couple the OH didn't do - for next time! There were 2 different versions of the piste map around - one had a lot of information on the lift prices and these didn't have the pistes numbered. Need to make sure you get the version with the numbers. A couple of connecting runs it wasn't clear from the map in which direction you could ski, fopr example, from the top of the Zentralbahn you can ski to the Kringsalmbahn/Seekarspitzbahn/Schonalmbahn via 21c run. The snow was great and we had a top-up as we arrived and mid-week.

They have a few runs set up timed for either downhill speed or slalom. Good fun! I did the slalom, not the straight speed. Once the OH found this that was all he wanted to go to! There is night skiing 2 evenings a week from 7-10 pm from the top of the Edelweissbahn, although we didn't do this as it was difficult fitting it in with dinner at the hotel.

The hotel: http://www.schneider.at/englisch/index.html Hotel Schneider was the nicest hotel we've stayed in, for location, service, friendliness/helpfulness of staff and fantastic food, and we've stayed in a few 4 star Austrian hotels. It's a family-run hotel and all the staff speak good English. 6 course dinners every evening, gala dinner mid-week of 8 courses Madeye-Smiley . One night they had a roast carvery buffet, another a dessert buffet, otherwise all food was on the menu. Main course was from a choice of four and they state all their meat is from their own organic farm. Breakfast was anything you could wish for, plus a chef ready to cook eggs any way you wish. Great whirlpool and swimming pool - definitely bring a costume Very Happy It's located right next to the bottom of the Gamsleiten lift, ski in/out.

Ski instruction: Booked 2 private lessons with Skischule Grillitsch http://www.skischule.co.at/ . I had 2 different instructors, Stefan and Coxy (sp?), both good and young-ish Austrian instructors. I booked in advance on the web, they rang me up at the hotel the evening before to check I was still on and I didn't have to pay until sometime after the lessons, to just go to their office. The office had very good English and were very helpful and prompt with my email enquiries. No problems at all with using them.

To sum up - a really great holiday and we're going back next year for sure! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On my way there on the 2nd Feb again
Had man flu for last three days but its starting to go now so almost ready to go
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Garfield, have a great time! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Garfield, we are off on 23rd Feb, how was it for you?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, Big dump of snow last thursday 7th though the runs were in great condition before that
Skiing on the Friday and Satarday were ace
All the runs were open with plenty of snow and lots of off piste if thats what you are after
One new 4 man lift with hood replacing slow 2 man but I cant remember the name.
Stayed in hotel Stinner which was excellent
Thinking we will get book again for the same time next year and save debating about going else where and fretting we will not like it as mutch
Plenty of good huts for lunch
Flights were on time too Very Happy

Enjoy wish we were back again next week
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we are just a little concerned that it's been sunny for over a week now, and forecast stays the same until next Wednesday at least - might end up with freeze thaw conditions, or no sun at all by 23rd! Last year it snowed everyday, so great skiing, but we couldn't do any of that lovely outdoor lunching!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, We have been a few times and have always managed some days outside for lunches
If it is freeze thaw conditions when you are there things are a bit harder but not realy icey in the mornings and the lumps dont get as big pm
There was loads of snow and that will not go anytime soon
If we had the dosh we would be back out in March (not going to happen though) Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953 wrote:
we are just a little concerned that it's been sunny for over a week now, and forecast stays the same until next Wednesday at least - might end up with freeze thaw conditions, or no sun at all by 23rd! Last year it snowed everyday, so great skiing, but we couldn't do any of that lovely outdoor lunching!

hmm - fresh snow or outdoor lunch? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gortonator, Well if they already have a good covering, which they do, and skiing from dawn till dusk isn't the sole purpose of a holiday in the Alps, then some sun is important wink It really isn't that pleasant skiing in a snowstorm day after day, and we don't ski off piste, so skiing on unbashed snow, past our knees, doesn't do it for us - but each to their own Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back, with a glorious sun tan! Snow was quite slushy after 1pm, but still lots of cover. Was so warm we could have skied in T shirts, +7 degrees during the day, and our water bottles on the balcony never froze at night. The piste bashers are doing an excellent job, and just as we were leaving, the snow started coming down, seems they are in for colder, windier conditions and more snow! I twisted my knee on the 4th day and took some time out, but whilst I was watching skiers come down the Gamsleiten, I noticed someone on what looked like a bike, with blades instead of wheels, and small skis on each foot. Turns out they called "Snowbikes". So we researched them on the hotel computer and sure enough you could hire them from one of the ski schools. You have to have a 2 hour lesson to use them, then you get a license that allows you to use them in every resort they are available, without further instruction. The Brenter Snowbike originates in Austria, and has spread worldwide, but there are other hybrids, sometimes called ski bikes or ski bobs. Well... hubby and I took the 2 hour lesson, and have never laughed so much in our lives. The best thing of all is that these things perform best in deep, slushy snow or fresh powder. There isn’t anywhere you can’t go with them, and they are a godsend for anyone with a gammy leg or knee. So if you want to ski sitting down, and ski till the lifts shut on a hot sunny day, try them...you won’t be sorry! For more info, check out http://www.snowbike.us/ . I shall certainly be using one again next year when we return to the resort, and I intend to have more tuition so that I can do all the fancy tricks on them! So much easier than skis for me, and so much fun Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do remember the Beatles using them in 'Help' circa 1964! Been around a while, - the bikes that is. - In Obertauern, which having been there I'm sure you'll know.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got back.

One of the best ski holidays ever! Sun, decent skiing, brillinat apres, and fantastic appartments. Gamspitzl self catering....... if you're interested good value and close to slopes but not near the town centre.

Beer's gone up by about a Euro - Avg 4 Euros a large one.

Gamsleiten 2 is still one fantastically challenging black. I kept having to do it to get it right.... not sure I managed it to my satisfaction by day 6. The rest is pretty easy skiing, but mounds up later on a warmer day.... Gruberstadl and he Edelweisshuette are great fro Apres. I have one of the best memories now after sitting the the Edelweisshuette watching the sun setting over the Alps last Thursday before night skiing sitting .

BTW Night skiing in daylight... what's that about?

Obertauern now belongs to one of my top three resorts.

Obergurgl.
Obertauern.
Sunshine Mountain.
snow report
richmond has added a resort report:

Obertauern (February 2009)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy