Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who owns Snowheads? Who should own Snowheads?

Poster: A snowHead
Schuss Limbo Boots, cDG didn't post those details the spammer that bounced this thread made the post. DG merely quoted (The information is in the public domain anyway Such are the joys of website ownersip.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Facebook launched (originally as thefacebook.com) on 4 February 2004. snowHeads launched on 5 February 2004. In retrospect, much can be made of the conjunction of those two historical events, and their relative consequences/implications!

In retrospect, the title of this thread should be changed to "Who owns facebook? Who SHOULD own facebook?".

And the answer is...?

5 February 2004 is also the day the SCGB announced that its forum had closed to non-members, prompting the same-day decision of Graham to launch snowHeads.

"Who owns the Ski Club of Great Britain?" is also a relevant question, since the control of the Club seems to be at such variance to the owners' (members') actual interests. In the opening couple of months of the 2003-4 season (i.e. immediately before its sudden shut-down on 5 Feb 2004) the SCGB's public ski forum was one of the world's busiest, with huge potential for that forum to generate new members at no cost.

Since its launch on 4 Feb 2004 Facebook has gained 1.1 billion users (as of March 2013). It would be fair to say that social networking has been the greatest international communications revolution of the past decade, and one of the most influential in the history of mankind.

Since its launch on 5 Feb 2004, snowHeads has had 36,000 user registrations and is one of the liveliest ski forums in the world.

The SCGB had no public forum users between 5 Feb 2004 and December 2012 - almost 9 years. Almost 6 months after the public forum was restarted in Dec 2012 the forum is now almost dead. The SCGB posts stuff on most days on Facebook (6,600 'Likes') but it's not clear whether this has any effect on new member recruitment, since the amount of user engagement on Facebook is negligible. snowHeads has a Facebook page, but it's not really used as an interface to this site - perhaps something worthy of discussion.

Over the past couple of months I've been experimenting with the Aviemore-based WTF Ski Club on Facebook (not an enterprise, and I'm not involved in its member sign-ups), and the daily banter is pretty lively. The techniques are similar to the ones used in the old days on the SCGB forum and early days of snowHeads ... so nothing particularly revolutionary! You're welcome to have a look/browse:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151674732215761&set=o.325182624251298&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151674732215761&set=o.325182624251298&type=1&theater

WTF Ski Club advice and information index: https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/photos/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-05-13 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:

In retrospect, the title of this thread should be changed to "Who owns facebook? Who SHOULD own facebook?".

And the answer is...?

If you're not paying for the product ...you are the product. Free lunch economics 101.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The post that bumped this by 9 years has gone missing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good god, Swiller, you're right. Once again, I think we should engage the services of Clouseau.

http://youtube.com/v/SXn2QVipK2o
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... especially since I thought it was impossible to wipe out a post once it's been responded to!

I very much doubt if Clouseau is capable of investigating this, so let's contact Clouseau Electronic.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, the poster who bumped the thread peppered the site with posts very briefly - I suspect they were all removed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, you didn't asnwer the question of who SHOULD own facebook and why.

Although I wouldn't be too surprised many agree with fatbob...
Quote:
If you're not paying for the product ...you are the produc

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 23-05-13 17:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, it's an outrage. People who pepper really need sending back to wherever they came from.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I think his intention was for peppered spam
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, I know. If you re-read my post, you'll see I used the words 'quoted' to indicate exactly that. The original post has been removed, I was merely suggesting that it might be the decent thing to do to edit the quoted part of CDG's post which covers the details removed in the deleted post. There's nothing cloak and dagger about this, I just think it's bad form/manners/not exactly cricket to leave the quoted text up there with someone's personal details in. We routinely and speedily remove such posts if they relate to other sHs and I don't see why it should be different in this case, just cos it's the boss. Like I said, no great shakes, just (IMHO) disrespectful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
The information is in the public domain anyway Such are the joys of website ownersip
and the owner can opt for privacy in the Whois database if they want to in return for a small fee.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, ah! Didn't know that, thanks I will follow it up for my own sites Very Happy

Schuss Limbo Boots, When I posted I thought all was still there, I didnt realise only DG's remained.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, works with .com but for .co.uk you need to pretend you're a private individual.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, it makes a decent income and is worth 5 figures. Good on you admin
ski holidays
boardiac wrote:

Don't forget the decimal point though... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Admin's mentor

latest report
krakatoa, That chap who's advert you show may be a certified Yoda and master trainer, but I reckon he'd be no match for the llap goch master in a fight...

snow report
Alastair, reminds me of the t'Martial Art of Ecky Thump

http://youtube.com/v/TJxGi8bizEg
snow report
Quote:

boardiac wrote:

Don't forget the decimal point though...

OK, let's be more precise: probably worth around £20-30k. The email list alone is worth a few thousand ££.
snow report
boardiac wrote:
Quote:

boardiac wrote:

Don't forget the decimal point though...

OK, let's be more precise: probably worth around £20-30k. The email list alone is worth a few thousand ££.

Not Lira, then...? Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy