Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez v Les Duex Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Flying to grenoble on 14th Dec for 5 days and not decided which resort to go to.

Anyone got a preference or advice for either ApH or L2A, which one might have the best snow/cannons, or more possibility for boarding, best glacier etc. Also yet to book a hotel so still flexible

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could always try both... they're pretty close together

my personal preference - if it's snowing or bad weather, LDA. good weather, ADH. This is because the skiing I enjoy most is low on the mountain at LDA and high up at ADH. I don't count La Grave as being part of LDA - if you really want to ski La Grave you're better off starting there rather than riding the lifts all the way to the top of LDA and schlepping over
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the resort, is one or other better for mooching around/not skiing? I'm thinking of going with my 1 yr old, so will be toddling the streets looking for things to keep us amused.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alot of the runs off the glacier itself are bumps. don't know about off psite off theglacier or at that time of year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, I'd wait untill closer to the time and see where is best, it is quite possible that somewhere else may have better snow than either, still 3 weeks to go nowhere will sell out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, ADH is steep at the top and shallower on the less snowsure slopes at the bottom, and its glacier isn't very big. The opposite applies to L2A and I prefer the skiing there, certainly plenty of variety high up although the best steeps are at the bottom just above town level. Look out for [b]easyski's[/] Les 2 Alpes thread in snow conditions to keep you updated - she lives and instructs there, has her own website with accommodation links and is a fount of high quality wisdom in many areas

Me - I'd go to Les 2 Alpes, bast on 3 week of skiing in each resort but I've never been this early before
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks all,

I think I will wait a bit before deciding. I have the flight booked already so I just need to sort out a room, which if I leave it for a few weeks should not be a problem.

Sounds like the upper slopes of L2A seem the better for me, but if we get a good dump maybe I will head to AdH.

thanks again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, You must absolutely come to LDA - there will be other snowheads here (apart from me that is). We can have a big party! We have some kiddies play areas (I sure ADH does as well), but in December it might be too cold to do much outside with a 1 year old.
Martin Nicholas, thank you for the kind words. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, Skied at both. no contest L2A is far better for skiing, for access and for apres. If (still) in doubt stay at L2A and drive over to ADH for a day to check it out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LDA should win this contest handsdown.

ADH is a highly overrated resort. It is treeless, soulless and unattractive. Apres-ski is frightfully downmarket. The glacier has mostly melted.

LDA is not the greatest station on the planet, but it does have a bigger glacier, a moderately pleasing town and passable nightlife.

ADH has steeper runs up top, while LDA has them down low (excluding La Grave).

On balance, LDA is the best choice by a long shot.

However, if you subsequently find LDA unappealing, then you can always hop across the valley to nearby ADH.

Good luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going against the flow here but personally I'd go with ADH. ADH area is much more spread out and as the shallower runsare lower down you'd get away with less snow for resort runs. LDA feels cramped, up to the glacier and back and the lower steeper runs into the valley didn't have enough snow cover when I was there. LDA probably better for Apres but there wasn't a huge amount between them.

(La Grave very unlikely to be open 14th Dec ??)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not too much of a problem as there's loads of steep up top too such as Grand Couloir, Super Diable and plenty more that you'll find on the map (or not). Here's a thread that's still got some pix to give you an idea.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=moffatross&start=440

Nickski wrote:
... and the lower steeper runs into the valley didn't have enough snow cover when I was there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I want to spend some time in both...they look great to me.
But on the basis of the initial question, I would say L2A for the glacier at the very least
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nickski, I think you didn't really find your way around properly! rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
think I will probably try both and maybe stay in L2A. Basically I like anywhere with snow, Tignes is ugly but vast and I likes that, Saaa Fee was pretty with trees and I liked that too, the only thing I do not like is very flat or narrow areas cause I am on a board and only 23 days boarding under my belt !

By the way Easiski I am not the one with the kid, that was strawberries, but the idea of meeting up with some snowheads sounds good.

excellent balanced advise all round though

Ray
snow report
If you're in LDA on 19th December you can have a bit of my birthday cake!
latest report
rayscoops, sorry! Embarassed Embarassed My mobile phone number is on my website. Very Happy
ski holidays
I have been to both and personally prefer ADH. I agree with Nicksi, the resort felt a bit cramped and there were bottlenecks and the lift queues were worse than ADH. The nightlife in LDA is better though.
snow conditions
Philip Prior, I'm curious as to what felt cramped. The town is 2kms long from one extremity to the other, and unless you stayed in the "village" now renamed "Les 2 Alpes 1800", I find it hard to understand where the cramping took place. the streets are wide, and at odd angles to each other, so there's a fair bit of space between buildings. Please elucidate
snow report
easiski,

Sorry, I meant the mountain felt cramped not the town. We found that there were a lot of narrow flat interlinking runs (not ideal for beginner or lower intermediete boarders) between main pistes which caused some bottlenecking and the main gondola (the Jandri?) had significant queues. Much more than I had experienced at ADH or the other French resorts I have visited. That was 2005. Thats just the way we found it. As a large group of boarders we much preferred ADH but that is not to say other people will. Just an opinion.
snow report
ah, the plot thickens.

As a relatively new but 'try anything' boarder I am more happy having a go at a bumpy black 'run from hell' than a flat narrow packed snow interlink or pass with lots of little kiddies weaving around me !

I have actually been to ADH (which is why I was interested in the L2A v ADH comparison) and found the steep runs down from the top OK, but I would prefer to try a different resort this time.

The Jury is still out on this one, but keep the opinions coming. I have only boarded with ski mates so when they say 'this run' or 'that run' is good they do not really consider that a flat bit or narrow bit may be a bit tricky for me. One day I will get my own back by tricking them onto a bit of sneaky off piste powder when they are on their carvers !

great site here !
snow conditions
Been to both.

I would choose L2D

Bigger glacier

More interesting terrain in general

Much nicer village
latest report
rayscoops,
Not making any recommendations what I have seen of both should entertain most people. Although flat bits will always be there I wouldn't worry to much about them being busy at the time you are planning on.
snow report
You could consider Serre Chevalier. Its highly rated as a resort for boarders despite the large number of drag lifts.
snow report
Flying into Grenoble so I think these two resorts are most convenient and bearing in mind the snow we have (not) had they are probably as good a bet as it gets this time of year. Will look at SC another time .... so little time ..... so many resorts
ski holidays
I think I have decided on LDA, the main reason being that I have been to ADH before and I want to try somewhere new. Also I am going to remove all the cotton wool that someone has put on the webcams today, very childish.

Any recommendations for somewhere to stay - as close to the nightlife as possible, I am with a mate (who might not travel as he may have to go to Asia with work), so it would be 2 rooms in hotel or small apartment I suppose. Nothing too grand really

Any suggestions welcomed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy