Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation in Killington

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anybody recommend decent accommodation in Killington at a reasonable cost? In general, how varied is the standard and costs in this resort for accommodation? There will be 3 of us going in late February, 2 of us are used to European resorts accomodation to compare with.

many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will be amazed at the spaciousness you will find in Killington.
If you want self catering then just browse the web with your price-point in mind.
Even the cheapest should be much bigger than you are used to in europe.
You will need a car though...the hill is some way from the town, and the town is some way from anywhere else.

I went there a number of times for weekends etc when we used to live in the US, and I was never dissappointed with the accommodation....but it was a long time ago and I can't remember any specific places to suggest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arrange or book it through killington.com.

Most accommodation in Killy occupies the low- or mid-range. The resort is a bit downmarket, meaning costs are reasonable. All rooms are far larger than the tiny boxes you find in the Alps. You will likely need a car, wherever you stay. Best ski area in the East. Enjoy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you considered nearby Rutland ? About a 20 minute drive to the mountain (there are connect buses from the hotels too). We stayed at the perfectly adequate Holiday Inn http://www.hivermont.com/ and enjoyed mixing it with the 'hicks' in town of an evening, I remember C.J's Suds particularly well (quite smokey though wink ) for that real local atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed at Mountain Green. Our appartment was nice and there was a swimming pool which was a bonus. At the time we stayed there seemed to be a lot of students (we were there for New Year). There was also a small shop and restaurant in the block.

Mountain Green is basically right across from one of the main lifts (Snowshed). Having said that there is a large car park to cross, so we always took the resort bus which stopped at a number of places around the Mountain Green apartment blocks.

We didn't have a car when we were there but just used the resort bus. This wasn't too regular in the evenings, but we could see it coming around from our apartment and dash out to meet it. The drivers were pretty friendly and if you told them when you wanted to come back, they would normally be waiting outside for you. The resort is pretty spread out along a main road and walking in the evenings wasn't really an option.

There are some nice restaurants in Killington. There was a great place which did a pizza buffet at a bargain place.

Hope you find somewhere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We also stayed at mountain green, although not luxurious it had what we needed. Beware the cold in Killington, when we were there (end of Jan 2004) the thermometer went below -40 at the top of the slopes!!

Happy hour in the moutain green bar which included free pizza was good and the Black Dog ski shop (on site) was well stocked. Breakfasts at Peppers is recommended as is dinner at the Wobbly Barn (great steak). The Pickle Barrel ( I think) has some suprisingly well known bands playing there.

One word of warning, if your looking for a village 'Alpine type' resort go somewhere else. The resort has no centre it is just just a load of properties spread along a very long road. Saying that its fairly cheap, the instructers are excellant, the slopes are well groomed and there are no lift queues.

Finally when you use the local bus service make sure your going in the right direction, I intended to go Rams Head and ended up in Rutland; I must of had my blonde head on that afternoon! NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

Many thanks for your mails, we usually go to Europe with one of our guys coming over from the States, so this year it will be interesting to check it out over there. The flights to and from Boston are only €99 each way from Dublin and we get picked up over there so that leaves a decent budget for accomodation and fun. Thinking about Mt Green, seemed decent enough, but when I checked out the comments on Trip Advisor it became totally confusing as the comments varied from "great place" to "dump"! As we are going in late February I am hoping that the weather gets milder?? Our last 4 trips have been Val Disere and Meribel (more interested in skiing than apres ski), will I be disappointed with Killington in comparison? Once again thanks for comments..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing wise, I would say that Killington is not in the same league as Val D'Isere or the Three Valleys, but I love Val D'Isere. Apart from having less kms of piste, I felt that there was not the same variety as you find in Val or 3 Valleys.

However when we were there quite a few of the more difficult runs were closed due to lack of snow. We were there in the same year as Rowley B and is was absolutely freezing - to the point you were just about crying coming down the slopes, but maybe I'm just a wimp.

Regarding Mt Green, I would say the public areas eg hallways and reception could certainly do with some upgrading.

However you will have a different experience from Europe. The ski school was excellent. We opted for Killington as when I compared the skiing to the other resorts in the area, I felt we would have a better time in Killington and we did have a good time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Can anybody recommend decent accommodation in Killington at a reasonable cost? In general, how varied is the standard and costs in this resort for accommodation? There will be 3 of us going in late February, 2 of us are used to European resorts accomodation to compare with.

We live in Massachusetts and ski Killington several times a year. As other posters pointed out, the skiing is great. But the atmosphere is lacking. We prefer to load at Skyeship base...easier parking and way less traffic than at K1. So we stay about 10 minutes away from Skyeship in a lovely inn in West Bridgewater called October Country Inn. Very resaonable prices...great breakfast included in the roughly $150 per double room room price. There is a nice restaurant nearby within walking distance or you can go to one of the many places along the ugly Killington access road, or you can drive 15 minutes in the other direction from Bridewater to Woodstock, VT which has a lot of great high and mid end dining options...and is one of the prettiest villages in Vermont. If you want the spa and indoor pool thing, you will need to stay closer to K-1 base area and the ugly access road, but frankly there are no great places even there. Better to try Sunday River in Maine, one of the Summit Lodges, if you are looking for the outdoor or indoor pool and spa thing. Be prepared to spend big for your lift tickets...way more than Europe. By the way KIllington is open for the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will never forget our accomodation at Killington. The roof leaked so we had a soggy, very wet carpet and later a bucket that pinged on every drip. It was Paddy's weekend, so there was no alternative accomodation anywhere. The jacuzzi smelt and the water in it was brown, so we didn't try it. We escaped over the road every evening to Red Robs, where the pool was excellent with a view of the snow groomers, the bar was warm and comfortable and the apres ski snacks were enough to mean that we didn't have to take our 2 kids, then 4 and 6, out for a meal, which was pretty well impossible as we hadn't got a car and the sidewalks hadn't been cleared.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks again, one of the guys flys out tomorrow for a week to see his girlfriend who studies in Vermont and intends doing a lot of skiing in Killington. I have passed on your comments so he had better get it right for when we go over. Didn't think it would be as good as Meribel or Val D, but not to worry, there for over 10 days so might get around to a couple of other resorts. Jane L your story sounds horrible, what was the name of the accommodation in case my lovestruck buddy mentions it. Not worried about jacuzzis though, a friends daughter received an award in a young scientist competition for her paper about jacuzzis and health issues, very well researched....frightening stuff.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't remember, perhaps the Killington Mountain Inn? It was in the same hotel group as Red Rob, just over the road.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

guys flys out tomorrow for a week to see his girlfriend who studies in Vermont and intends doing a lot of skiing in Killington. I

Well, weather in New England has not been at all cooperative. Killington is open on very limited terrain with man-made snow. Stowe is open with 2 trails (1 way down) from the top. Some resorts that were open last weekend have closed this week because of conditions. I read somewhere that this November has been the least snowiest of any November on record. And this has been compounded by warm temperatures. Night time low temps have generally not been below freezing, so snowmaking operations have pretty much been shut down since last week. Right now, skiing in the Northeastern part of the U.S. is bleak. There is a front coming through this Friday. As yet, it doesn't seem clear if this will be largely a rain event or a snow event. Most forecasts say rain changing to snow, but how much of either will depend on the exact storm track. Hopefully it'll mostly be snow. Then snowmaking temperatures will return on Saturday. One good storm and conditions could greatly improve very quickly. But right now, hiking and golfing are better bets than skiing in the Northeast.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy