Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best starter slopes

Poster: A snowHead
I have just booked our first skiing holiday for myself and my wife and I was told a good place to learn is on the planai in Austria, so this it where we are going. Can anyone tell me a bit about it? and maybe have an idea what the condition might be like around new year time?[/b]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slippy, Welcome to snowHead

Don't have any information I'm afraid not having been there, but sure someone in the know will be along shortly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slippy, welcome to snowHeads. I assume that by Planai, you are meaning Schladming?

There has been a lot written about it on here, I shall try to find a link for you, but you can access the search function under "user facilities" at the bottom left of the mountain picture.

You may know that there are 4 interlinked mountains Hauser-Kaibling, Planai, Hochwurzen and Reiteralm and they are linked by bus at the bottom and it it possible to ski between them, though it may be a bit much to try that if this is your first trip.

I have been to that area twice and when I have been there, the beginners in the group have gone to Reiteralm for the first couple of days.

It is a great area and although relatively low, it is fairly snow-sure and they have already been skiing at Reiteralm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slippy, have a look at this thread - it also links to others... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20361
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank very much guys, I'm a real novice so any tips I can pick up will really help me out.
I'll check out the link now. Cheers Ray
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IMO the slopes at hauser kaibling or rohrmoos (lumped in with planai on maps etc) are a little better for beginners than the main planai runs, both are easy to get to on the buses though (same pass, linked by lifts too), and the planai slopes will be fine once you have a few lessons under your belt as they are in the main wide and not too busy. Schaldming is a lovely place - I'm sure you'll have a great time. Fageralm recommended too - lovely runs for beginners.

I'm suprised you pick reiteralm Ray - I think I found the runs there noticeadly more tricky than the planai/haus runs? Maybe I just caught them on a bad day, or maybe I only got round to sking the reds - my memory of that hol is fading (must visit again quickly!)

aj xx
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a.j., What you say is interesting as both times I went to Haus, the whole group (about 50 of us) were all bussed to Reiteralm on the first two days, mainly to keep the group together for the beginners lessons. Not sure if it was because there is a free beginners lift there or not? To be honest, I haven't really looked out too much for beginners slopes but it is something that I should as it is a question that often crops up.

slippy, I would think that the instructors would easily be able to sort you out though and I wouldn't worry about the "where to ski" bit yet, just take their advice.

It might be worth your while having some lessons in the UK (dry slope or Milton Keynes), you would progress more quickly and get more out of your holiday that way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok. The general idea I seem to be getting from a few people is the Planai gets really busy.. But I'm there for a week so depending how the lessons go I might try all four out. can you guys suggest any nice places to go of an evening?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray, I makes perfect sense to try the dry slopes.
However I have booked this as a surprise christmas present for my wife and I'm so excited. I'm finding it so hard keeping it from her as it is.. Thanks again guys for all your help
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were a large group and made our own entertainment, so sorry, I can't help. I would think that the apres scene would be quite lively in general and around Schladming there would be plenty of options for eating and drinking.

Not sure whether or not it would appeal to any in your group, but there is a toboggan run for all ages from the top of Hochwurzen - never yet done it, but would like to.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slippy, there will be no end of help for you on here - whatever the question. It is sometimes best to start a new specific thread if ever you can't find what you need by a search.

It would be best to hire boots and skis in resort, but are you all kitted out otherwise?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toboggan? That sounds great!! We'll most definatly be trying that..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I think so... I'm not relly sure whats good and whats not. But I have bought pretty cool jacket with about a million pockets water proof etc and I also bought our gloves.. I didn't want to spend to much on our first go, So I went for the NO FEAR model.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slippy, your are right to not want to spend too much as there is a chance you won't like it, but most of us here would expect to see you raving about it when you get back wink

Goggles and sunglasses are also needed - apparently Lidl have some double lens goggles at £5.99 at the moment (which is incredibly cheap).(make sure you buy double lens goggles as the single lens ones steam up and are useless).

Waterproof gloves would be best, as you may find that you are needing to try to stand yourself back up again a lot. Maybe think about taking 2 pairs otherwise.

Salopettes/water resistant trousers can be found quite cheaply in stores like TKMaxx, Tchibo or online (matalan online are doing Trespass trousers for about £20).

A good hat, and lots of layers are best otherwise (maybe include thermal underwear).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't see that we won't enjoy it... We're both into our watersports and keep quite active.
Thanks for the advice on the goggles, Now I'm gonna ask a little bit of an embarrasing question...
I'm a short bloke, I'm about 5'4 and I have to buy all my trousers and jeans in a short leg. Is there anything like this in the skiing world? Embarassed
ski holidays
slippy, Personally I wouldn't worry too much about length, especially if they are a cheapy pair - you'll only wear them for the skiing. The trousers fall over/onto the ski boots, which will prevent them from dragging on the floor, an extra inch or two won't matter if you can't find any your usual length.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Ok great thanks Ray. I have also been quoted about €115.00 each for 5 half days ski school. Would you have an idea if this is a good price or not? Do you have any plans to ski yourself soon?
snow report
slippy, that sounds about right - lessons are definitely the way to go. There are pros and cons of being in a group lesson. it can be a laugh watching the others struggle and it can be more sociable, but you can also be held up by the progress of the slowest (assuming it isn't you of course).

Here is one discussion on what to take http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11830 We can be a bit obsessive in this, so take some of it with a pinch of salt...

I am a little embarrassed to say that I have 5 trips planned this year Embarassed All short ones of between 3 and 5 days. I went with lots of others here on a pre season jolly about 3 weeks ago, the next one is between Christmas and New Year. If I keep it up, one day I might be able to ski Confused
ski holidays
Ha ha ha ha ha..
Sounds like you all have a lot of fun. I haven't been yet but I can already see how people could be so passionate about it. When does the season start really?
ski holidays
Most people start with a week a year and then it gradually gets more frequent. Being on here makes you think that everyone goes more often than you, and makes you go more (and more and more ...

the season start point varies so much from year to year and from resort to resort. On some glaciers you can ski all year round. For the most part, some higher or snowy resorts tend to open from mid/end Nov onwards, but most would expect to be open by Christmas/NY which is one of the busiest (and expesnive) times. All too soon it is over Sad .

If you stick around and get involved on here, you'll end up booking another week in March/April wink
latest report
Well I moved to Australia and I've only returned on a years work contract. I will be returning to aussie in MAR, but I suppose New zealand is always an option if we catch the bug.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, It's been great talking to you. You've been a great help, So all in all you think I made a good choice of location and you think I'll be ok for snow?
snow report
slippy, thanks and likewise Very Happy . If things work out anything like normal, then there will be no worries at all and you will have made an excellent choice... That said, this season is nothing like normal Confused .

Usually Schladming would be open by now as it is normally one of the first resorts to do so, but I see on another thread that the start date has been pushed back to 02 Dec. I am sure it will be fine for you.
snow report
slippy, when are you going? At Christmas itself? How far in advance will you tell your wife about it? Have you hidden your new jacket etc? Sounds a great Christmas present.
snow report
pam w, Hi Pam,
I have booked for the 7th Jan, so it's just when we'd be due to go back to work.
I have bought my wifes jacket, gloves etc and wrapped it with the brochure with the resort circled for xmas Very Happy
She's gonna love it, She has been dropping hints for months!! I only hope we have snow by then. ha ha
She has never seen snow so it's gonna be a double wammy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy