Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiet off piste areas and associated airports?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend me somewhere new to try for a long weekend with the missus at the end of Jan?

Looking for a good chance of some off piste, and also somewhere a bit different that I've not skied at before.

So far, going back to Gressoney seems like a good plan, but looking for some differing opinions!

also need an airport that is served from Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, and Robin Hood airports!

So far my options are:

Gressoney, Ryanair, Liverpool to Milan, 2 hour transfer

Les 2 Alpes (la Grave), Ryanair, Liverpool to Grenoble/Lyon, 1hr transfer???

Leeds/Chambery via Jet2 appears booked up

I've got flying into Geneva for Verbier, Cham, Portes Du Soleil, Flaine etc as a backup option!

cheers for any ideas Smile

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jet2 do manchester - chambery as well, or at least they did last season. they're tight on luggage though, you'll get charge if yo;re over
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basel is quite good for some of the more easterly Swiss resorts eg Engelberg and Andermatt
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
(private joke)
kitenski, the slopes at Aspen are not far from the airport...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
do any northern airports fly into Basel Arno?

Cheers WTFH Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, no Sad

But easy fly to Basel from Liverpool wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers Brian, Liverpool counts as a northern airport for me, not for you though I guess!!

How would Grimentz be for an off piste weekend? Any nice hotels the missus could get a sauna etc in?

regards,

Greg
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, diabolical wink I think the Alpina has sauna/jacuzzi etc. http://www.alpinagrim.ch
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, We've already talked by PM, so this is just my official plug rolling eyes LDA - loads of off piste, La Grave across the mountain and easy transfer from Grenoble. Very Happy Very Happy + not astonishly expensive either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, would LDA be a good spot in April?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, Deffo. La Grave is usually open until the end of the first week in May (can't ski right down normally). We are always open until the end of April - used to be later, but the lift company got greedier. We normally have loads of freshies in April too. Last year we could ski down the Grande Pente just before the EOSB, and you can always get down the Valentin as it has cannons. Here is the face with all the named runs marked - of course you can actually ski any line you fancy if the snow's nice. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The holy trinity of La Grave, LDA and Alpe d'Huez has plenty to keep me going back over and over. The TR linked in my signature was from April this year. I got to ski new snow every day for four consecutive days. It was really rather good.

kitenski, it's a little bit more than an hour from Grenoble airport to La Grave. Closer to 1 3/4 hours to LG and LDA I'd say as a rough guide. A bit less to ADH
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, I don't think I'm up to La Grave (in fact I am 100% sure that I'm not), but we might be able to manage a sneaky week in April, somwhere in Europe, probably w/b 14th (to avoid Easter).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
worth bearing a couple of things in mind for late Jan.

First, some off-piste in the trees might be handy in case of bad weather.
Second, some of the higher rockier stuff might still be a bit hard and rocky cause snow depths might not yet have built up.
My recollection of some of the resorts mentioned above is that both of these factors may limit the amount of o/p available (the pics of la Grave for instance don't show many trees, but there are lots of rocks....)

d
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pendodave, We're normally OK at La Grave at the end of Jan. If you go down the Meije side it's a bowl - actually lots of trees lower down. It's true that it's usually better in March though. I can't venture an opinion about ADH, but i would have thought it was better in Jan than in april. Here we have plenty of challenging skiing low down (lots of blacks - did you look at the photo?) Also St Christophe (depending on cover, but usually OK from 2,900 then). OK I'll stop....
latest report
kitenski, Not wanting to deviate from the LDA/La Grave chat but I must say that the Ryanair Milan - Gressoney option sucks does it not? You fly into Bergamo which barely qualifies as an airport and is it really only a 2 hour drive? Ugh.

Did you like the Monterosa off piste?
latest report
kitenski, Yould also think of Torgon, Abondance, etc. (PDS). Or if the snow is any good, some of the Jura stations might be interesting...
snow report
Yeh there are some really strange flight times around, I've finally decided on Engelberg, cheap flights to Basel, with a late return flight for all day skiing on my last day Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy