Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That trip to the zoo.....

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd post some thoughts.

Having asked about boots myself and been advised that, when I'm ready to buy some (which won't be just yet), I should have them properly fitted, I read with great interest about the 'trip to the zoo'. What an involved process. So does everyone that skis 'seriously' and wants properly fitted boots (as you folks have advised I get when ready to) go through something similar or is the Zoo type experience the preserve of the exceptionally dedicated skier rather than the enthusiastic family holiday maker? as I will no doubt be once I've got the hang of the 'getting down the slope' bit. Or, is there a sort of halfway house fitting process for all those inbetween whereby you can get well fitted boots that perhaps do not verge on the wonderful bespoke fitting process that the SZK clearly offers.

If fitted boots are so essential - and I'm quite prepared to believe that they are - my ankles and knees are very important to me, then who buys all the boots on ebay?

Also, I had no idea that ski boots comprised so many different parts - the bit you see, these arches, liners, adjusting washers etc. etc. and from the 'trip to the zoo' thread it seems most are replaceable/changable/moldable/even washable I guess. What an education it is being part of this group! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, At the risk of being shot down I would say it is a case of 'horses for courses'.
For my Wife's Christmas present I have bought her a new pair of boots and the full custom fitting treatment from CEM in Bicester www.solutions4feet.com
(the trip to see SZK in Chamonix being just a bit too much cash wink )
BUT my Wifes feet deserve the extra cost, mine, I'll put on a pair of boots that are comfortable and be happy Madeye-Smiley Luckily I've got fairly standard feet wink but if I listen too much more from the foot pro's on snowHeads I might just have a pair of footbeds made for my next purchase of boots. wink

CEM is away until 27th Nov, so I'm pretty safe posting this without contradiction Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Having been through the trip to the zoo process just recently, and having also bought boots from a shop that had a simpler, less involved approach some years ago, My view is that the comfort factor, support and snug fit of having boots selected by a professional boot fitter who takes several different measurements of your feet, and having footbeds heat moulded to support your arches etc will result in a fittted boot that gives you better control over your skis without being so tight as to be uncomfortable or worse, damaging to your foot..

My new boots are a whole size smaller than my old ones, which were quite comfortable, but allowed my feet to move about too much making the contact with the ski less precise. Sometimes I could feel the ski 'wobble' around my foot, and to prevent this I would try and do up the clips as tight as possible, but this did not fully cure the problem and would quickly become very uncomfortable. I am far from being a dedicated skier, but since boots are expensive, and I value my feet even more (!) it makes sense to me to have the best fit I can get. As to who buys the boots on ebay, good question, someone just bought my old ones Shocked Maybe some people just go on price.

FWIW I would say that if you are planning to make skiing something you do every year, even if only one or two weeks, get some properly fitted boots. I lost both big toenails one year when Lufthansa lost my luggage for a day forcing me to ski in hire boots, and they weren't a very good fit Shocked I'd rather save money on cheap accommodation, cheap meals, even cheap jackets and salopettes, than have something on my feet that doesn't fit properly.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm completely with AxsMan, on this. I too visited the travelling circus version of 'The Zoo' recently and came away with a pair of boots that I truly believe fit. I haven't got previous simpler fitted boots to make a comparison with but as against hire boots the difference is phenomonal and the control they give me even on the dry slope which is the only place I've tested them so far and have always found difficult at best to master is light years ahead.

I definitely fall into the category of 'enthusiastic family holiday skier' - though am a long way from truly getting the hang of the getting down the slope bit! and only having a limited time on the slopes in often the busiest weeks of the year, I don't want to spend the time going to and fro to the hire shop trying (and usually failing) to find something that is comfortable and gives me a modicum of control. I believe that having boots that are both comfortable and precise will help make it easier to ski better and look forward to putting the theory to the test in December....of course, the downside is that I've just lost one of my many excuses for generally making a complete pigs ear of things!

I think that WTFH zoo experience involved pretty high performance boots if I remember rightly so the figures that he was quoting are probably higher than you would need to pay (I may be wrong!) Mine cost substantially less than that and ultimately think I'm saving (feet and cash) as I'm not expecting them to be on Ebay any time soon for those that haven't had the benefit of Snowhead wisdom to buy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My £0.02p

1. If your boots aren't comfortable, you'll be in pain. If you're in pain, you won't enjoy your holiday.

2. Boots are the "handles" for your skis. They are the ONLY interface between YOU and your skis and the snow. If your "handles" are loose or not responsive, what chance have you got of controlling your skis?

3. Your boots will be the most important piece of skiing equipment that you own. Do it right, buy once and enjoy.

Don't do what 80% of people do, buy cheap the first time and then end up having to spend again to get it right, with discomfort and pain along the way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, not everyone needs to go to the Zoo, nor is everyone's budget the same (there were boots that would have cost about twice as much as I spent)
My advice would be to find a good bootfitter and get boots through them. Before you go, perhaps call them and chat about prices.

...about people who buy ski boots off ebay. Some buy boots that are exactly the same model and size as they currently have. I don't see a problem in that.
Others, I'm not so sure about...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
E-bay is a very good place to sell your old boots Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I to had a zoo fitting. If you enjoy skiing then a trip to
Quote:
CEM in Bicester www.solutions4feet.com
would be an excellent idea. I have skied in my new boots and although they were a bit tight at first they are getting comfier each time I wear them. The big difference is the extra "feel" I get between the foot and the ski, this makes skiing easier. A good all round result snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I'll second that Very Happy

Frosty the Snowman, How long did yours take to 'bed in'? I've been wearing mine for an hour every morning and evening for the last week or so, and after 6 or 8 days they started to feel really nice; snug and firm but not too tight, can't wait to get them on a slope Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, Skied for 5 days in them. 1st 2-3 days and I was glad to get them off, no rubbing or soreness though. On the last 2 days they really started to improve Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, and had you worn them much before you skied them? I'm hoping that by pre-wearing I might save myself a day or two of tightness.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, I wore them for about an hour the week before the EoSB. Most of the downstairs at our place is stone floor and I was loudly abused by those doing homework, and by those easily irritated wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Understood Smile , Well I'm wearing mine at the moment, and walking round in between posting, as well as doing Warren Smith inspired ankle flex excercises. The two cats have worried looks but otherwise no complaints. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I did 2 hours in mine at Castleford after the fitting session and then 4 days skiing at the PSB and the only discomfort I felt was brought on by standing in the lift queue for 2 hours when the gondola packed up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier wrote:
... the only discomfort I felt was brought on by standing in the lift queue for 2 hours when the gondola packed up.

Yes I guess that would do it Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
I put my trainers in the rucksack on the last day when they said there might be problems again, a good idea as it turned out.

I felt a noticeable tightness compared to my old boots but being a full size smaller that was to be expected, the extra feel from them though was a huge improvement, I really did feel a part of the ski.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Hopefully the part that doesn not remain in contact with the snow Shocked Very Happy
snow report
I've had my current boots 4-5 seasons and I think the initial fit was pretty damn good from SnR. I had a basic footbed but after a few years in them I started to get clamps in certains places. This, I now know, was down to me having to rack up the buckles just to get a firm fit. I went to CEM to get a fit and maybe start a process of buying a new boot but a custom foot bed has revitalised the fit to the extent that I don't even need new liners. I may still go this route if I want to play around even more. He confirmed that the shell fit was good, that my alignment was good so no mods needed here etc
I've spent 4 days on snow and the buckles are on half the clips they were on before and I have a comfortable and precise boot now. The footbed should be transferrable to my new boots when I decide to want to buy some.

The bottom line is a comfortable fit with a precise feel to aid your skiing. If you can get all this with a fit straight out of the box, and I pretty well did - then you may not have to worry about the rest.

But, as in a lot of thing, there are bootfitters and bootfitters, and the guys on here could probably post quite a few good references from snowHead
snow conditions
I think that's it, bootfitters and bootfitters and therein lies the rub. No, you don't necessarily have to go to The Zoo or CEM or Lockwoods or Profeet etc. to get a good fit but you do need to go to a good bootfitter. The problem is that some of us wouldn't know what a cute whoops, sorry I mean good, bootfitter looked like until we either are fortunate or make an expensive and uncomfortable mistake. I don't profess to know very much about this black art but, as far as I can make out, the bespokeness of the service will depend largely on your feet. You may need all the gadgets and gizmos going or on the other hand a bootfitter may be able to open a box and hand you a pair that will fit you perfectly with minimal if any modifications (mine did) On the basis that many of us habitually ski in either hired or bought boots that are too big, let alone anything else, it seems that we can't always trust our own initial judgement so while the gadgets and gizmos may not be essential the GOOD bootfitter definitely is.
snow conditions
Annie, That's about the reality of it, thanks for pointing out that sometimes it CAN be simple, some people may have had problems before and therefore belive the solution to be complex. When we then get the job right and quickly, some feel cheated to have searched us out.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Eldest Axsette says 'Hi' Laughing and thanks BTW all the boots are fitting just great! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy