Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very-Early Season Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to the Zermatt area from 7-11 Dec. Yea, we know it's not the best time, but it's all I could do before leaving Europe for America. It's my final trip into the Alps, at least for a year or two.

So, the question is: where can two very experienced skiers go in early December and maximize our fun? We are 100% for off-piste and ski-mountaineering/touring. Our original plan was to climb the Matterhorn, but that just won't work out w/ our time and the weather, hence our idea to stay near Zermatt. We are happy to change locations if necessary.

Thanks for the advice! If the skiing isn't good anywhere, recommend a mountain to climb!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt and perhaps Verbier are your best bets at this time of year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sundownr01, Welcome to snowHead 's Not being a mountaineer ski or otherwise treat my suggestion with extreme caution. There does not seem to have been much snow anywhere so far so you may be lucky to get any offpiste coming into condition. Judging by the snow reprts section what has fallen has gone to the southern French Alps. I believe that the Ecrins is good for mountaineering and if you are lucky 2 Alpes Serre Che or La Grave may have had enough snow by then. Alternatively you could try PMing davidof who lives in Grenoble and may have some good suggestions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sundownr01, At that time year there are a whole bunch of mountains that will offer some good, although very cold, winter mountaineering or ice climbing. For ice climbing, La Grave in Argentiere/Chamonix could be great option if the freeze-thaw cycle has been favourable. As for general mountaineering, well, pick a mountain and go climb it. Depending on your experience and technical climbing grade, there isn't much that you won't find in the alps. My recomendation would probably be the north face of the Tour Ronde which gets an alpine climbing grade of D+.

A good climbing forum is www.ukclimbing.com that will no doubt be able to help you choose an objective. Good luck and safe climbing! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great info so far. Thanks a ton. If any one else has more beta, we'd sure appreciate it. I've been in Europe for 3 years and really had a helluva great time, so hopefully this will turn out to be the finishing touch.

By the way, if anyone is looking for good ski footage and some honestly good laughs, check out "Stars, Skis & Hucks", it's a ski movie w/ Brad Holmes and Seth Morrison and is actually far funnier than I thought. Glen Plake is an insane mono-skiier w/ the worst dance moves. Quality B-Grade Ski movie! It's on in the background right now as we all eat chile and figure out the trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sundownr01, I'm off to Zermatt this weekend, but the skiing will be limited to the glacier runs and a couple of artificial pistes. I wouldn't reccomend Verbier for that week. Very few of the lifts will be open meaning huge hikes if you wan to get into the back country.

I think it will be too early for any serious ski touring. It's unlikley that snow bridges will have formed on glaciers making it pretty perilous.

If I were you I'd stick with the plan for Zermatt, hope that it snows a lot and then you may get some great fun on the lift served off piste with noone else there to spoil it for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys. was wondering if you could help?

My girlfriend and i really want to get away again this year - but because of university - have to be back home(UK) by 8th Jan.

It needs to be relatively cheap - poor students Crying or Very sad

Just worried about the snow conditions so early in the season - any recommendations?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All- looks like we're sticking w/ the plan of Zermatt. Has anyone flown into Milan on RyanAir? We're trying to figure how best to go from airport (outside of the city) into the main train station.

Also, anyone have experience w/ the Matterhorn in the early winter? We've decided to make that our #1 Goal. If weather isn't good, hopefully that will mean snow and we can then go to our bump plan of skiing.

Thanks again for all the great help.

www.usaf7summits.com
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AberdeenCouple wrote:
Hey guys. was wondering if you could help?

My girlfriend and i really want to get away again this year - but because of university - have to be back home(UK) by 8th Jan.

It needs to be relatively cheap - poor students Crying or Very sad

Just worried about the snow conditions so early in the season - any recommendations?

Check when the first post new year week. Aim to go that week. May mean you miss first couple of says back at uni. This will be one of the cheapest weeks in the season. Look for deals based on where the snow cover is in a couple of weeks' time. At the minute who know where the snow will come and when
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sundownr01 wrote:

Also, anyone have experience w/ the Matterhorn in the early winter?

been to Cervinia 3 times in December (£0.99 flights into Turin with ryan air).. been pretty crap 2 out of those ... you have snow up high on the glaciers of the Matterhorn obviously but it was pretty windswept and rock hard
snow report
 brian
brian
sundownr01,

Ryanair's "Milan" airport is Orio al Serio which is actually near Bergamo, here's the airport shuttle bus info on their website:

http://www.sacbo.it/Editorial/newsCategoryViewProcess.jsp?editorialID=2656¤tMenu=2175
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sundownr01,

Milan to Zermatt seems a long hike..unless you are going up and over from Cervinia, and even then not a great connection bus-wise. It will take a good few hours..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great beta on that bus link. Thanks a ton for it. Also thanks for info (not so happy info) on the general snow conditions in Switzerland. I'll keep hoping that the climbing is good if the skiing is bad and vice-versa... hopefully one of them will keep us entertained. If not, we can always drink lots, which always seems to put a smile on our faces.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're planning on going from the airport to the Milan train station, then to Zermatt via train (about 4 hours on the train). FYI...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy