Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at buying this book

short link

and wondered if it was any good or does anyone know of any other good or better books. Puzzled

I'm an intermediate with 5 weeks under my belt, all with lessons. Some group, some clinic and a couple of privates.

TIA

Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, I have had a copy for about a year and I think it is probably the best technical skiing book I have.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, I have a very well thumbed copy. I think its one of the better books around.

Beware, the problem with all books and DVD's is that they rely on self diagnosis which is incredibly unreliable, i know from experience.
Read the book convinced I had all the basics sorted and was just a bit of fine tuning short of expert, next season got some lessons and realised I was still on chapter 1

Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks a good book by all accounts.

rich, I agree entirely as my two private lessons I had on my last holiday demonstrated I still had basics to learn. I am quite technical by nature (work in IT!) so I quite like to understand the theory/mechanics of things. I'm hoping that I can get insight into why sometimes I ski better than at other times. I realise it's no substitute for a good lesson though. I can at least put my boots on in my living room and pretend until I actually go on holiday. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon - I've got a fair few books on ski technique and the one thing I've come to realise is that every writer and ski instructor has their own interpretation of how to explain what they think they do
- and that you've got to find the one that speaks to how you learn.

My desert island ski book would be Ron Le Master's book - although I'd recommend a Phil Smith or Warren Smith DVD in preference to a book...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with PhillipStanton about Ron LeMaster's book. I've also got Ski the Whole Mountain by Eric & Rob Deslauriers, which has some interesting ideas in it, and some great photography.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got some really good books on playing and improving golf, I guess reading a book on skiing would have the same effect as reading a book on playing golf. Toofy Grin

My Golf handicap is 27 and has been for the last 12 years Confused (Despite owning my own short par 3 course for the last 3 years Confused ) In fact I think my skiing has improved without books whilst my golf has not Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 21-11-06 9:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Just got the Warren Smith DVD's (1 & 2) yesterday and I'd have to agree with you. I have now downgraded my view of my ability from 'low intermediate' to 'barely functional' Sad

Still the first step to improvement is recgonising that you are cr@p, so I'm well on the way! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got the above book last year and think its pretty good -certainly fits with may way of thinking. Really there is no substitute for a good instructor with experience looking at you and analysing but this book certainly helps with indicators of how it looks or feels when you are doing it right. FWIW my favourite ski book is this

short links

& I still reckon an alpine version would clean up - any cartoonists out there want to help me with one?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the comments. I think for £8.39 its worth having the book as a starter but may also invest in some DVD's.

I totally agree that there's no substitute for good instruction on the slopes but I still have a few months before I go. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan wrote:
PhillipStanton, Just got the Warren Smith DVD's (1 & 2) yesterday and I'd have to agree with you. I have now downgraded my view of my ability from 'low intermediate' to 'barely functional'

AxsMan - you should try the warm-hearted, Christian Warren Smith touch at first hand. He's a very good teacher and it's very effective, but Warren leaves you in no doubt with feedback like:

- Stanton that was s&*t
- Stanton, I thought you came here to improve your skiing
- call that trying?

It gets results though.

The first Phil Smith DVD is a nice counterpoint to Warren. Phil's first DVD is "big picture" - e.g. "there are three ways to change edges..." Warren is more "specific exercises to improve specific things" - e.g. "this is a good exercise for developing your carving..."
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, I presume Warren is happy getting replies in the same tone then?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, he is indeed Very Happy

To be fair to him he does have his own approach to praise - he doesn't say anything. spyderjon told me that he once got a "nice one Jon" or similar. That's Warren Smith's equivalent of an Oscar Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow - that would put me off learning from him. I go skiing to enjoy myself, and if someone just offloads criticism on me, it's not encouraging me to try harder. I guess he is from the old public school system - "I'll beat this into you, and you'll like it!"

(even if the nearest thing to praise is "you are doing that well for someone of your ability" - it's better than continual negging and blanking)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton wrote:
marc gledhill, he is indeed Very Happy

To be fair to him he does have his own approach to praise - he doesn't say anything. spyderjon told me that he once got a "nice one Jon" or similar. That's Warren Smith's equivalent of an Oscar Laughing

Deb once got a "good" off Jamie, one of Warren's guys. I think it's her proudest moment on skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy