Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revolutionary 'pods' offer novel high-altitude accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
At over 1700m above the Swiss resort of Villars, 'Whitepod', is a group of five dome structures that offer novel state-of-the-art accommodation for those who want a really remote mountain experience.

Promoted as a 'high tech eco experience', with advanced insulation and structural properties, the 'pods' sleep 2 people, with dining provided at a nearby chalet farmhouse.

The only thing that grates for me is the celebration of the tranquility of the location with... "No hotels. Nothing at all in fact, apart from the majesty of the Alps, the breathtaking beauty of the scenery"....but the blurb then suggests heli-skiing as an activity. This seems a contradiction and a pity.

More info. on the Whitepod website.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This whole eco-tourism thing is such a load of nonsense but eco-heliskiing, that really takes things to new levels.

Now we could argue that heliski operations are acceptable if some ground rules are followed but it seems that the two major Swiss heliski operators (Air Zermatt and Air Glaciers) can't even manage that. They are currently under investigation by the Swiss aviation authority (BAZL) for illegal heliski operations over the last ten years carried out in collision with officials from aviation authority (and you thought the Swiss were law abiding?).

The Swiss operations also make illegal drops over the border with France where heliskiing is illegal.

I wonder if Whitepod uses either Air Zermatt or Air Glaciers for its eco-heliskiing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, what's the nature of the alleged illegality? Who says the Swiss operators are making illegal drops? I can't imagine that these drops are offered by the operators on the record - are you saying that this is done informally, as a private arrangement with the clients and guides concerned?

On a journalistic/legal note, I think we have to be a little cautious here, but if you're confident of your sources so be it.

I agree with you about the 'eco tourism' comment. I think these Whitepod operators should be more careful about how they describe their business. I also agree - if it's your general thrust - that the Swiss should pull out of heli-skiing tomorrow. It's not an appropriate activity in the very threatened Alps any more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

carried out in collision
Collusion perhaps Wink

Whitepod is ~£230 p.p.p.n. minimum 2 nights. Anyone who can afford that is unlikely to be phased by a ~£90 supplement for heliskiing.
How do they get the supplies of food & bev and the clients' luggage in ? Presumably by snowmobile or piste basher. Smelly noisy things. Is this idea really as Eco-friendly as the blurb suggests ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Who says the Swiss operators are making illegal drops?

Most recently the Swiss Minister of Aviation who was apparently outraged that people in his own department (BAZL) may have been turning a blind eye for whatever reason to the heliskier's operation. The specific allegation is drops of skiers to the high altitude hotel Trift. This has been wildly reported in the Swiss press and the operators face large fines. Mountain Wilderness Switzerland also have a whole dossier on the subject with wider allegations.

I also have friends who claim they have seen drops over the border (although close to the border) in France where such activity is illegal. Personally I think this is fairly minor but I can understand their frustration having climbed 2000 meters only to have the slope they are on carved up by heliskiers. In France the authorities seem reluctant to take action. Of course none of this is under the direct control of Whitepod but I can see DG's point about the conflict of environment and helicopter operations.

Here are some references:

Questions in the Swiss Parliament
http://www.parlament.ch/afs/data/d/gesch/2003/d_gesch_20035209.htm

www.luftfahrt.ch/news/21062004illegalegebirgslandungen.html

http://www.nzz.ch/2004/06/21/il/page-newzzDVQLI7J4-12.html

and a couple of studies from Mountain Wilderness in Switerzland

http://www.mountainwilderness.ch/fileadmin/redaktion/Heliskiing/illegale_landungen98.pdf

http://www.mountainwilderness.ch/fileadmin/redaktion/Heliskiing/dokumentation_heliskiing.pdf

Regarding the inaction of the French government I'm thinking of a complaint lodged with the Grenoble prosecutor against the French helicopter operator SAF who made a drop of four skiers on the Rochail near les Deux Alpes last spring. So far no action has been taken by the prosecutor despite two separate parties witnessing the drop. There have been complaints of heliski operations on the French side of the Mont Blanc massif but I'm not sure at what stage these are at and whether they are as well documented as the Rochail incident.

==
edited to fix spellings, add some supporting links and information and make some amendments requested by moderator

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-08-04 13:44; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, thanks for that. Very interesting. I take it that there have been specific complaints to the French authorities which haven't been acted upon - which would be a pretty bizarre situation because, as you say, French heli-skiing operations are illegal and a Swiss heli-drop couldn't benefit the French economy.

Maybe the guides, and their respective governing bodies (which are international), should take an ethical stand on this and impose sanctions on guides who transgress.

Where is this hotel Trift?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:

Where is this hotel Trift?

I'm not very familiar with Switzerland but believe it is this place:

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/hbiner/lage_e.html

The helicopters were landing guests nearby so it was not a heliski operation as we would think of it but the transport of skiers to a high altitude hotel. There are allegations of illegal drops on the mountains but obviously helicopters landing at the Trift hotel are a lot easier to witness and prove.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again, davidof. Maybe it's time the European Parliament and, dare I say it, the International Ski Federation took a lead on this.

Heli-skiing is such an insignificant element of the European ski scene that it could hardly be deemed economically necessary. In Canada and Alaska there would be a stronger commercial lobby.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Heli-skiing is such an insignificant element of the European ski scene that it could hardly be deemed economically necessary.

The Swiss operators argue that heliskiing is essential as it cross-subsidises search and rescue work carried out by the operators.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
...which is bit like saying that ambulances should double-up as delivery vans to cover their costs. Disingenuous accountancy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there any other kind? With all due respect to any accountants present.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With respect David Goldsmith, they may have a valid point, think how many air ambulances in the UK require sponsership to run, if running helicopter trips for rich tourists helps to ensure good emergency coverage then I'm all for it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've gone slightly off thread (now there's a surprise), but to get back to the original idea. I thought the pods looked great - I'd like to live in one (not necessarily away from all amenities though). However I noticed that they mention "over 1700m" - wow! The whole town of Alpe d'Huez is over 1700m - hardly high altitude. Perhaps there's someone out there who knows the area? How far away from the town/village is it? Perhaps it's only a few minutes away from the nearest bar? Of course you could always bring your own helicopter - if you can afford those prices you must have one. rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today's Sunday Times carries a review of Whitepod by Sean Newsom. Click here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And isn't this just another clever way of side-stepping planning restrictions, arguing that these constructions are environmentally friendly? I can just imagine them being parked all over the place at altitude in a few years' time. (What's more, they may be environmentally friendly but in a white-out they could somewhat hazardous Cool )

(Couldn't access that article DG, sometimes the Times lets me in, sometimes not)...
latest report
David, once more you've beaten the established media to a story.
snow report
5380 feet is only 1640 metres.
'unspoilt nature'? 'unbelievably beautiful'?? Must be looking at the wrong picture. Confused
snow report
It would seem that traditional ski-touring, staying in mountain refuges, is a far more environmentally friendly way to ski.
ski holidays
PG

PG wrote:
(Couldn't access that article DG, sometimes the Times lets me in, sometimes not)...

Here you go
http://kibo.org.uk/whitepod.htm
latest report
Here's another review of the Whitepods, by Peter Hardy in today's Telegraph. You may need to register, but the Telegraph's website is worth the hassle.
snow conditions
There was another Whitepods experience in the Guardian before Christmas that caught my eye. Not cheap, but I'd love to stay there.
snow report
According to a report in the local paper the canton has said the pods were illegally erected and must be removed. Apparently the correct permissions doesn't exist. I'll tray and find a link when I have a moment later but it's likely to be in French.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
...which is bit like saying that ambulances should double-up as delivery vans to cover their costs. Disingenuous accountancy!

Now you've done it. That'll probably be government policy by Monday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy