Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, got my first trip to livigno booked at the end of jan this season and immediately my sights have turned to the future!
The only week I can secure because of exams etc is the 15th to 22nd of April.
Is it a fair bet to get snow in tignes allowing most of the resort to be skied at this time of year or is it more likely that we would be confined to the glacier?
I know its impossible to tell but what are people's past experiences of late holidays?
thanks
ryan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Tignes last May Bank holiday & the snow was excellent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
element, I went to Hintertux this year at the end of May (came back on 31st) and the conditions were great (and it was still snowing) and there was still lots open.

Obertuern usually stays open to May, so that would be an option too.

If you go a week later you could join all the other sH at the ESOB07 in Val Thorens.

edit:
Sorry, I misread your post, and didn't see that you were set on Tignes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 20-11-06 8:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Generally you should be fine in Tignes at that point. Only in a completely disastrous year would you be confined to the glacier. The state of the slopes might depend more on aspect than on altitude and you would obviously expect spring conditions overall, but with luck you should have super warm weather, take off several of the layers you wear in January, and have a great holiday. My son spent last winter in the Espace Killy and said April was far and away the best time (not that the same thing would apply every year, of course). You could afford to book later (and easyJet flights not yet out). You could get some excellent end of season bargains if you are aiming for a package. Snow conditions in the Espace Killy are almost certain to be FAR better in the week you are planning, with long sunny days and uncrowded slopes than they will be at New Year when prices will be sky high, it will be dark early, probably cold, the resort will be full of people and the off-piste too thin and rocky to bother about. Enjoy snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element, we were in La Rosiere last season in the last week of April and there was still plenty of snow, the only runs not open were those going down below the village, there were only 3 of them. It was a superb week, sunny and warm with good skiing conditions just about everywhere, our ski host, Matt Tayler of Tracks Vacations, told us these were normal conditions for that time of year in La Rosiere. So to be certain go high, to a resort with a good snow record, incidentally, we saw quite a few instructors from Val d'Isere, Tignes and even Courcheval with clients in the resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Courcheval (La Tania) last week of the season last year, great skiing, got fairly slushy in late afternoons, but could still ski down to La Tania at 1300m.

Even better was a beer in shorts on the balcony after a days skiing Very Happy

I was there the year before and had powder every day Smile

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello to everyone,

I am new to this forum, literally just registered, and wanted to ask for some advice...

I am planning a snowboarding holiday and I was thinking beginning of April as far as the date is concerned and Ski Amade as a location because I have heard it is nice.
I will be travelling from the UK and meeting up with some friends from Greece. I've only been on 1 ski holiday before in the Alpes and that was in Chamonix. I had a very good time although I didn't like the fact that I had to get a bus to get to the pistes so I would prefer a place where you can ski from your door. Finally, my snowboarding level is intermediate to experienced and I am not particularly interested in parks etc. I enjoy more freeriding and offpiste.

So, to get to the point, could you give me some pointers regarding the following:

- at that time of the year if the snow is usually good/enough?
- is beginning of April a busy period?
- is the Ski Amade a good choice? (any specific resorts?).
- If not, do you have any alternate destination suggestions.

Thanks a lot
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cabamaru, Hello and welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
I've not visited that area myself,but im sure someone will be along soon. I learnd in Austria and realy must get back there and explore.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cabamaru, We were in Ellmau, Austria in the middle of March last year and normally that resort closes at the end of the following week. The snow was superb. So you may find that although the snow cover is good, the resort is not open! (Ellmau is not in the Amade but I imagine that their season operates on a similar basis).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for your replies.

So tessaventer, you are saying the the austrian resorts close in March?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cabamaru, Certainly Ellmau, which is low at about 950m, closed in the third week in March last season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cabamaru, Check the ski amade website www.skiamade.com as usually the closing dates are posted
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cabamaru, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Schladming is part of the skiamade area and that is usually open to mid April. I don't think that I would plan a trip this far in advance at that time though ...

Very close to the skiamade area is Obertauern which is usually open into May.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
element, that week should be good almost all over. better in resorts with a proponderance of north (or more or less) facing slopes. Ideally go where there is a glacier just to be on the safe side. We always get loads of snow in April here. Why tignes?

Cabamaru, the first week of April looks like the busiest half term hokiday week this year. If you can go either a week earlier or a week later that would be advisable. Have you skied in Greece? If so what's it like? BTW Welcome. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
element, that week should be good almost all over. better in resorts with a proponderance of north (or more or less) facing slopes. Ideally go where there is a glacier just to be on the safe side. We always get loads of snow in April here. Why tignes?

Cabamaru, the first week of April looks like the busiest half term hokiday week this year. If you can go either a week earlier or a week later that would be advisable. Have you skied in Greece? If so what's it like? BTW Welcome. Very Happy

Hi easiski and thanks for your advice.
I have been in Greece many times to the resorts closest to Athens, Parnassos and Kalavrita. They are both small resorts compared with the Alpes and VERY busy and overpriced in weekends. On weekdays it is much better and cheaper. But as I said the runs are not very long. I wouldn't go to Greece for skiing, but if you are there for another reason you might as well try it...

Do you think the 2nd week of April will have good snow?

Thanks again
latest report
easiski, what would you expect week of 14.04.07 (week after Easter week) to be like in LDA - crowds and snow (ridiculous question, I appreciate)?
ski holidays
I've been seeking advice on Flachau, which part of the ski amade area ( see 'flachau' in this resorts section ) and have had some good tips from kerekip, & particularly flangesax who is resident in the region, perhaps they might be able to help.
ski holidays
.......sorry about that, had to hit the refresh button & it resubmitted !
snow conditions
nickH wrote:
.......sorry about that, had to hit the refresh button & it resubmitted !

That's alright nickH, I've used my magic powers and removed the multi-posts. Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks everyone for the contributions.
easiski, I'm going with my parents and theyre bringing a friend whos never skiied before. We've been to Tignes before and I think they like the convenience of knowing the resort, where to go where not to go etc. However they would be open to trying somewhere different I'm sure, so long as its not too expensive:) We've also been to Alpe d'Huez which they would also be keen to go back to.
Why would we choose Les Deux Alpes over Tignes or Alpe D'Huez? How does it compete on price? I notice its a little lower at the resort so I suppose in theory there is more chance of not getting to ski home?
Thanks very much:)
ryan
snow conditions
element, for someone who's never skied before, Les Deux Alpes is a far better choice than Tignes.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
element, for someone who's never skied before, Les Deux Alpes is a far better choice than Tignes.

Out of interest, why do you say that Kramer? I'd disagree, due to the difficult pitches getting "home" in LDA. It's nice as a beginner to be able to ski home, and get a sense of acheivement.

I'd also say the huge bowl between Tignes and Val D'Isere would be great for beginners.

Regards,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski, I would say that Tignes is worse in terms of getting home, IMO, having had an absolute nightmare there a year or two ago with a nervous second weeker.
ski holidays
ah ok Smile As an old git I tend to forget about how hard certain runs are! I Guess it also depends on the snow conditions as well
latest report
Herman Tryer, coo Shocked deja view
ski holidays
For late bookings from the South East try www.chavelocity.com Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque wrote:
Herman Tryer, coo Shocked deja view
Very Happy

It is, of course, entirely possible that some people have been to La Rosiere and come away very favourably impressed.

Mr. Tryer may well be one of them - rather than a fictional character created to advertise Traxvax ( as you seem to imply ?).
snow report
Cabamaru, Welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead I went boarding in La PLagne at the start of April last year, the snow was great although slushy low down late on, apprently we got some of the seasons best conditions though, it was pretty quiet too, however, Easter is a bit earlier this year so it may be a bit more crowded.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo, I like La Ros and I've never said otherwise (go check if you wish) it's not the 'Holy Grail of Skiing' but it is worth a week or two or three of anyone's time . . . just like many of the other 1,500+ Alp resorts.
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
Cabamaru, Welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead I went boarding in La PLagne at the start of April last year, the snow was great although slushy low down late on, apprently we got some of the seasons best conditions though, it was pretty quiet too, however, Easter is a bit earlier this year so it may be a bit more crowded.

Thanks, happy to be here Very Happy

Is there ski-to-your-door in La Plagne or is it similar to Chamonix where you need to get a very crowded bus to get to the slopes?

So, do you reckon both the week before and after Easter will be crowded?
snow conditions
Cabamaru,
The week after Easter is usually a lot less crowded in my experience at least after the Monday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy