Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near Vienna?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I may be out in Vienna with work 12-15th December, are there any decent sized resorts within an hour or two's driving from Vienna?

Preferably somewhere that has ungroomed patrolled areas Wink

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, I think you'll be hard pushed to find any ungroomed stuff. I've skiied Semmering (I think 50 - 60 mins away by car) and they've held world cup GS and SLs there. Not big, sporty gradient, shortish runs but will it be open for 12 December? Borderline.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, there are some nice, but small resorts nearby Vienna. Last year they had an excellent season start in late November.
Semmering is a good option, this resort is a WC host and has the longest piste for evening skiing in Austria.

The other option is Hochkar, probably the last hidden excellent resort from the British Very Happy
This place has an incredible snow record, last season finished in May.
These resorts and some others close to Vienna are not too large, but they are perfect for a day trip.
I am planning to ski around Vienna around Dec 16-18, so I check them frequently and keep you updated on the snow condition.

I will ask my friends about ungroomed patrolled areas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks kerekip, Hochkar sounds like it's worth a visit Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like I'll fly into Vienna on a Sunday then, would Semmering have night skiing on the Sunday assuming they have enough snow by then?

How about Hochkar, do they have night skiing, I can't see anything on their website which suggests that they do, but it looks a bigger mountain to ski!

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Damn, Hockar is out of the bag! I went there last year the first week of January and there was more snow than I have ever seen anywhere. People were armpit deep on their roof trying to shovel snow off. The ski area is pretty small with real short runs but the snow quality is excellent. Also, your own wheels are a must as are chains because there is a really crazy road up to the ski area and I dont think there was a shuttle bus. We stayed in the town of Gostling which had one hotel and only one restaurant . It is super quiet. I'm not sure if you can stay up at the ski area but if you did it would be really lonely.

Another place near vienna is schneeburg but i havent tried it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok, if I widen the parameters, is there anywhere within a MAX 4 hour drive of Vienna that has snow, and with more forecast Wink

Hochkar isn't sounding that good and looks like it will stay warm there this week...

Cheers,

Greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy