Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing and waxing skis in store

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need to get my year old skis serviced and waxed before the new season. I am concerned about the quality of the service (not customer service) from one company to the next. Any advice about who and what to avoid will be appreciated.

PS: Has anyone had any experience with Edge2Edge in Crawley, Sussex?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, the be all and end all of ski tuning Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hornster, you're obviously nowhere near Nottingham otherwise I'd have been pleased to do them for you.

My problem with store tunes is that at every place I've seen the ski is basically goes through a machine process for every element of the tune which means that excessive material is removed from the edges & the base. It can also make it difficult to specify the edge angles you
require as the stores tend to put the ski through their 'standard' set-up. A good tech using properly maintained equipment should still do a good job however.

See if you can find a store were the tech will hand tune your skis, ie edge setting/polishing & waxing by hand using a decent uni wax. Most stores have the gear to do it, it's just a case of have the staff.

If I was hand tuning your skis here's what I do for my top tune, assuming that repairs aren't required & that the base is flat (or slightly concave if you have Metrons):

Sharpen edges to existing/factory/specified angles as required, polish with 5 grades of diamond file & deburr. Hot wax / scrape base to clean, steel brush to add structure (if required), brass brush to open structure & 3 grades of fibrepad to smooth, hot wax with Dominator Zoom Renew base prep wax, cool & scrape, brass brush, hot wax with Dominator Zoom Lime universal wax, cool & scrape, polish with brass, horsehair & nylon brushes. Apply Zardoz Notwax to edges.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, that was hugely helpful. Cheers for your help. After reading your reply I would do well to make the drive up to Nottingham just to get you to service and wax mine and the mrs ski's as I can't be bothered to question every ski technician in each store to make sure that they do what you say.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Just out of interest what do you charge for a full service/tune?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hornster, No problem if you want to drive up. How many weeks skiing do you do per season? Having two pairs of skis regularly tuned would soon pay for a bit of DIY kit. I offer a great DVD & then I could show you how on your skis if you come up so that you could tune the Mrs Hornster skis yourself.

Jono, I'll see you tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hornster, I start at £15, then £20 & the service I described above is £25. I also offer a specific new skis base prep tune for £15. Base repairs, sidewall removal & grinds are extra. Includes tea & biscuits wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, currently we do two weeks skiing a year and were therefore assuming that one full tuning per year would suffice. Would you agree? How much is your DVD?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hornster, financially, unless you are doing a lot of plastic or snowdome skiing it's probably not worth you going the DIY tuning route. For ski performance it's a different situation as DIY tuning is the only viable way to keep the skis as you want them, but not everyone has this requirement.

Depending on the conditions & how you ski you might well get two weeks use out of the base wax but normally the edges would probably need touching-up during that time. Most folks would usually have their skis waxed & edged for each week of skiing. If you're stretching it to two weeks I recommend regularly touching-up the edges with a pocket diamond tool (like the Edge Trick at £15 inc postage) which keeps them sharp & prevents having to do more major work later - which minimises overall wear to the edges & means you have good edges every time you ski. DVD is £11 inc postage & includes my written guide.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy