Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowWorld (Expansion) Zoetermeer The Netherlands

Poster: A snowHead
This ws in the papers yesterday. Havent got time for complete translation but basically says there are advanced plans for a fourth 300M competition slope on top of 50M high trash tip complete with hilltop restuarant.They overcome some objections about views
Piste will cost €10 milllion with restuarant €13M

Also it says Snowworld Zoetermeer welcomed its 10Million visitor. I think any ski resort would welcome those kind of numbers Very Happy

http://www.ad.nl/denhaag/zoetermeer/article810373.ece
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, ~Well, I sometimes think that Holland must be empty in the winter with so many peeps off skiing in the alps! Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton, do you happen to know how many of the Netherlands' population ski and what proportion of the total that is? Just curious as to why you get these masssive snowdomes built and we don't Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda wrote:
Just curious as to why you get these masssive snowdomes built and we don't Confused

One word for you.........Wembley Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2005 figures

http://www.wintersporters.nl/nieuws/bericht/37

This report is prepared by the ANWB (The Dutch AA/RAC). Althought most Dutch Drive or go by coach many also Fly nowadays. My guess its more like 2M

Popluation is 16M
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, The Dutch population still *do* sport as opposed to just watch it! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Dutch have been skiing for decades like just the Germans & its allways been part of the Winter. If you have ever travelled on the German Autobahn during the peak season you will see that about 1 in 3 cars is Dutch Very Happy

Mass Market skiing is relatively new to the British.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-11-06 8:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, Probably be stuck in a Jam on the Autobahns, due to the dual carriageways and roadworks - I was so disappointed when I went on an Autobahn for the first time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a pretty impressive place judging by the photos, can't see myself making a trip over specifically to ski but if I was in the area I'd do it for sure.

When you consider the size of slopes over here it's a bit frustrating, particularly with the NIMBYs out trying to stop Snoasis (as well as the government not grasping the opportunity) which could offer something similar.

Good point about Wembly, this country seems to be unable to do stuff that others can - just look at the car industry or transport. Only thing I can think of is that the people running things are incompetent but we know that anyway... don't we!

Fingers crossed for Snoasis Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra, they have fantastic deals on sports facilities when at Uni. They are much les cosseted than the Brits and much more adventurous. Dutch parents are like the French: little Johnny falls over skiing and the parents laugh, British parents (mostly) rush up "are you all right, oh you poor thing" - what's that teaching the kid? Gross generalisation but none the less true for that. dutch peeps grow up DOING and thinking it's FUN. Brits have to come to that later, and are much more scared.

stanton, I'm so used to seeing those dutch number plates I'm often surprised when I don't see them - wherever! Shock
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
stanton, I'm so used to seeing those dutch number plates I'm often surprised when I don't see them - wherever! Shock

Same here on the south Lincolnshire roads!! So many flower lorries and offshore registered hauliers there's not a day goes by when I don't drive up and down the A15/16/17 without passing NL numberplates.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe someone should write to the Directors of Snowworld & ask if they would consider opening a SnowWorld in the UK or if they even tried allready?

If the demand is there I cannot see a reason why a profitble centre cannot be built.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:

Would it be wrong of me to think that the longer this takes to become a reality the better? It's not about elitism but about anti-yobbism and being able to enjoy time on the piste without the Costa del Sol mentality at 2100 metres. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
The Dutch have been skiing for decades like just the Germans & its allways been part of the Winter. If you have ever travelled on the German Autobahn during the peak season you will see that about 1 in 3 cars is Dutch Very Happy

I'm a bit puzzled by that, surely there have been substantial numbers skiing since winter tourism really took off in the 70s/80s?

What's your definition of "mass market"?
bh1 wrote:
Would it be wrong of me to think that the longer this takes to become a reality the better? It's not about elitism but about anti-yobbism and being able to enjoy time on the piste without the Costa del Sol mentality at 2100 metres. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin rolling eyes

I have to agree, my definition of a good summer holiday is invariably one that involves avoiding any area of the globe that caters for the sterotypical Brit tourist - used to love the west of Crete when virtually all the Brits went to the east. Last time I went (a few years now) that was sadly changing and the streets of the old capital, Hania, had started to echo to the drunken shouts of shirtless, legless Brit youths... urgh!

Have to say that the same goes for winter holidays too and any ski resort that goes too far down that route is going to find me (and I suspect others) avoiding it. I'm not a fan of the snooty old image of (English) skiing but neither am I keen on the lowest common denominator end of the spectrum either! One thing to be thankful for though is that I'd guess snowsports would tend to be less attractive to the type of person who spends all day with a beer in hand frying in the sun on a beach until they look like a lobster and then all night drinking more booze and trying to find a quick shag... although Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bh1, I am a confirmed snob and I agree whole heartedly with your statement and I do wish these bl**dy tour operators would stop doing last minute cheap deals as it seems to encourage the chavs to take a couple of weeks off sitting on their bottoms in front of Trisha and dragging little Tyson, Mercedes-Honey and Aleeeeeeeysha out of their below-par schools.

OK, enough on that one.

easiski totally agree - dutch kids even cycle to school and the parents don't seem to fear a paedophile on every street corner.

stanton of course the reason the Dutch prefer to drive to the resort is that they're notoriously tight with money and if they drive they can take a week's worth of food in the boot. Don't bother denying it - I work in Holland - I know what you're about! snowHead
ski holidays
bh1, It's already too late in some resorts. Sad

Alexandra, Yes - tight enough to put the scots to shame (sorry all!) wink wink wink
latest report
roga,

Mass Market = Package Tours.

Dutch & Germans have allways gone DIY. There are a few Tour & Bus Companys that in recent years offer "all in" trips.
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:

stanton of course the reason the Dutch prefer to drive to the resort is that they're notoriously tight with money and if they drive they can take a week's worth of food in the boot. Don't bother denying it - I work in Holland - I know what you're about! snowHead

Absolutely correct , the Scotts would be proud of us Very Happy

We are tight asses but as you know we dont get paid very much & taxes are high . We are not on Ex-Pat salaries with 30% Tax breaks or having our taxes ALL paid for if your working for the UN or Shell rolling eyes
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
bh1, I am a confirmed snob and I agree whole heartedly with your statement and I do wish these bl**dy tour operators would stop doing last minute cheap deals as it seems to encourage the chavs to take a couple of weeks off sitting on their bottoms in front of Trisha and dragging little Tyson, Mercedes-Honey and Aleeeeeeeysha out of their below-par schools.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not Laughing
stanton wrote:
roga, Mass Market = Package Tours.

Dutch & Germans have allways gone DIY. There are a few Tour & Bus Companys that in recent years offer "all in" trips.

Aha I see, but haven't we all done package tours at one time or another? I think before the internet came along going abroad for almost any holiday meant using a package company or doing a lot of time consuming research and most (not just the yob element referred to above) went the package route. These days of course many of us choose the DIY route so I guess it's easier to differentiate - personally I haven't used a package company after a few bad experiences, most particularly on a summer holiday when we were dumped in an filthy apartment with very bad (smelly!) drains next door to a bunch of the very types we're discussing here. The rep was useless and stayed away from us from the point my wife and myself went down with food poisoning of some description - never ever again, it's DIY everywhere nowadays thanks to the internet!
snow report
Sorry, did I kill the thread off with that post?
snow report
[quote="roga"]Aha I see, but haven't we all done package tours at one time or another? quote]

NO
latest report
stanton wrote:
roga wrote:
Aha I see, but haven't we all done package tours at one time or another?

NO

LOL, a very firm reaction Smile

Not even in the summer for non-ski trips? (I have)
snow report
roga, you're assuming that you couldn't DIY a holiday before the intermawebthingyhighway came along. It was possible, perhaps not as easily as from the comfort of a keyboard and mouse, but nonetheless possible. NehNeh
snow report
roga,
Only once in locally in Argentina but that was only becuuse my Spanish was not up to scratch.
latest report
bh1, no, I was *clearly* saying it was a lot more difficult, this is what I said above: "before the internet came along going abroad for almost any holiday meant using a package company or doing a lot of time consuming research and most (not just the yob element referred to above) went the package route".

Nothing there to suggest that you couldn't DIY a holiday but I think it was far too time consuming for most people to consider and they took the easier route and I don't see anything particularly wrong with that. I'm just grateful for the internet which nowadays allows us all to have relatively easy access to as much information as we want so it's far, far easier to DIY than it ever was in the past.

stanton, just the once would be impressive if you've been holidaying for very much longer than the internet has been around and I'd add you must be quite unique (or perhaps have had a lot of spare time/patience/resources/cash to research). However, if you've only been old enough to organise holidays since it took off it's no big deal really is it?
snow report
In the summer it sometimes seems like half the people visiting the Highlands of Scotland are Dutch or German - clearly there is a fellow-feeling. And the Dutch, poor things, do love mountains. (An entirely understandable feeling of course)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy