Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SNCF Tickets Sold Early

Poster: A snowHead
Was looking at SNCF Schedules yesterday and today and it was giving me the option to purchase tickets for greater than 3 months away. For example, I was able to purchase one (and all of the cheap fares were gone), for 25/02/2007 and yesterday it was letting me buy one for 03/03/2007. Not sure why, but if anyone was waiting until the 3 month mark, you may want to check and see if it will allow you to buy your ticket now.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jml, that's a real pain - either they should stick to their rule, or they should abandon the rule!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that's very Odd because searching for EoSB dates results in this message
SNCF website wrote:

The outward journey date is outside the timeband for sales. You cannot book a journey more than 3 months in advance.You can either bring forward the date of your journey, or order later.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do remember, but can't find anywhere on their website, that there was a very complex system of release dates for the next 3-4 months: the December trains from about 8th Dec only became available 2 months before despite what they say due to the change of timetable that occurred then. They did have the info (or was in an email I have since deleted) that there were several release dates and periods of booking - and I think that may be whats happening here - best to either email SNCF or if that brings no joy the very helpful man at seat 61 (a rail expert, website www.seat61.com) may know the answer.

All in all it's very frustrating and I agree with Easiski - keep to a rule or don't pretend there is one! rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Wasn't really complaining (I am only going from lyon to bsm over a few days, long story), so the tickets are reletively cheap and the worst that happens is that I get on a local train for an extra half hour instead of the tgv. So, it wasn't the end of the world for me, but figured it might be important for those who are trying to catch the overnight trains or something where a sold-out train will cost them a day of skiing.

Incedentally, since all of the cheap print-from-your-computer tickets are gone, I need to do the pickup at the station option. Is this a problem for an american (I don't have a chip and pin credit card, if that matters), since sncf is about half of what rail europe wants?

Also, anyone have any idea about luggage storage for the day in Val D'Isere?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jml, Do you have a signed docket card? If so it will be fine. Can't help you about storage in Val despair, sorry. BTW, make sure you get to the station in enough time to allow for a queue - there's always one in grenoble! Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone have an e-mail for SNCF that may be answered in English. I tried the 'contact us' thing on their website, but when you do submit, you get an error message. I am trying to buy 2 tgv tickets early on Feb. 24th, but it seems that the tgv's are either sold out or not yet available.
Thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
raileurope are the english speaking reps I think - marginally more expensive but much easier if you are having problems.

www.sncf.co.uk: http://www.sncf.co.uk/aboutus/contact_Us.asp or www.raileurope.co.uk

aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j., Thanks, I was going to do that, but the tickets are about twice as much. Basically, does anyone know how far in advance the tgv tickets I want are going on sale/went on sale?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jml, This feels familiar - I suspect they haven't loaded that bit of the timetable yet as it is outside the 3 month slot - tho as you noted above some routes were booking way ahead - but if you just do a timetable search it should still give you the times - just not the option to buy tickets - I spent ages before we booked just going back a week or more until I found when the tickets were on sale for and the timetable stayed the same once they loaded up the ticket ordering - so you may have found all the avail trains - tho even that can be hit and miss and I found many times bits of the site worked at times and not at others - verrry frustrating. Good luck! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jml, try phoning them (SNCF), be very polite and ask if anyone speaks english. Speak very slowly, and use basic words (it's much harder to understand on the phone). No point in paying rip-off britain prices if you can pay sensible french ones! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jml - the prices should be the same (when it's been off for me it was just them using a crappy exchange rate) - it runs off the same backend as far as I can see so the data should be identical? Currently they are £4 a ticket more expensive for the tickets I'm interested in (~£60). Also try looking for singles - the last week or so it would only give me the trip I wanted in two single journeys, I have no idea why but gave up and booked it that way in the end! You can also craftily ring raileurope and then book on the sncf site Wink My tickets ran to a strict 3 month timetable, opening sometime in the wee hours on the appropriate morning so some tickets are still on 3month scale. Try waiting another 3 days is my guess. If you want to post the details of the journey I'll take a look and tell you my best guess btw - having booked a three stage trip for 14 people in 4 groups over the last few weeks I've become quite proficient at twisting that site to give me what I want Twisted Evil

easiski - do you have a number for them? I've never found one on the site!

aj xx
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a.j., YBH, no. However they must have a number, probably in pages-jaune.fr????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did once find a number for them, but the guy on the phone absolutely did not speak a word of English and beyond this, reminded me (funnily enough) of someone who worked for the Railways "Tawkin' To Ay Too-err-rist luv!". So , [unwittingly?] hindering my already dodgy French.

a.j., I agree they use the same basic data but, in past years, I've found that some of the cheapest discounted tickets, available from the SNCF site were not available through RailEurope.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A collegue tells me that the TGV tickets for French half-term went on sale today, and normally sell out within hours. He was planning to be at the station to buy his at 6am this morning.
snow report
By the way, a.j., it seems hard to find a general sales number for SNCF, but I'd suggest calling one of their "boutiques" - here is a number for one in Paris : +33 1 42 18 08 43
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
jml, that's a real pain - either they should stick to their rule, or they should abandon the rule!

Someone should write a book about the French with that exact title!
I love them, but they are infuriating.
ski holidays
The tickets for Feb half term went on sale this morning, eg 10 and 17 Feb 2007. At least via the web - all very easy and you get to print out your tickets at home.
Still some cheap tickets left.
Good luck.
ski holidays
BTW a sneaky way to find out about on sale dates is to ring Rail Europe on 08708 371 371 and ask when they will be selling them. Then you can book via www.voyages-sncf.com direct

EDIT - sorry aj posted this idea above but I'm leaving this in as has the phone number and URL
latest report
admin, I found that last year when I booked the tickets for Richard and Adam. Also the correct train didn't always show up on RailEurope website
ski holidays
Thanks, I was travelling, but was able to get some for my trip (24/02-03/03) so I am pretty happy. It seems like they are all available for at least until 3/3, if someone else needs them. SNCF for most tickets (not the discount ones), seem to be half as much as the raileurope american site. So, if anyone needs tickets for this period, you may have luck now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy