Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok some of these might be obvious questions, however this will only be my second time sking (once before for 3 days in the Utah)

I am considering Andorra as I can get cheap flights to Barcelona, I have a non skiing partner with me and am thinking about 4 days Andorra and 3 days Barcelona as a comprimise for both of us in late Feb.

First off driving, looking at other post's its about 3 hours. Are the roads normaly open, will I have to ask the hire car company for snowchains? Will they freak when I ask for them and say 'non car senhour'

Is there much to do for the non-skier?, sledge rides? Spa? anything to see historical?

Will be ariving in Andora on a Sat afternoon, Will I be able to buy a ski pass, rent ski's, enrole in a begineers class on the Sunday morning should I pre book.

Can anyone recomend a good hotel (moderatly priced) or location that would suit both me and girl friend? I dont mind having to travel a little to the slopes if it means a better location for G/F.

Thanks for any input
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newbie45, Welcome to snowHead
You'll no doubt get lots of input from Andorra fanatics, but here's my two pennyworth: The roads in from BCN are usually better than via France. There's not a whole lot to do for non-skiers, but Canillo, as far as I am aware, has a spa. The usual change-over day is Sunday, so ski school classes begin on Mondays - 1-2-1 lessons should be okay though. As far as hotel is concerned, it really depends on where you want to stay - We've been to el Tarter twice, and are returning again this year... a pretty quiet village, some lovely hotels... but very little to do during the day if you're not up the mountain. Best of luck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure about chains, but getting a ski-pass and renting should be no problem. Beginner ski school normally runs from Monday for 5 days. You can pe-book on all this on the net but unless you go in the school holidays this would not be essential.

I'd recommend El Tarter, as it gives access to the Grand Valira and there is a good choice of hotels. Try the Alba, which is a very friendly place, not too expensive and has a great bar tacked onto it.

As for apres other stuff, then you can do all the usual stuff like snowmobiling and dog sleds (although I never thought the dogs looked that well looked after). There is a big sports centre in Canillo with a pool and skating. However, the best place to go is the Caldea Spa, in the Capital, which is about half an hour away. It's the biggest spa in Southern Europe. Also lots of tax free shopping in the Capital.

Hope this helps a bit
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spindrift, where's the snowmobiling?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also going to El tarter (in a few weeks). Soldeu is next door at about 5-10 mins by bus. The buses are free with lift pass.

Soldeu is not so quiet with some good bars etc. Try Aspen and fat alberts.

Soldeuonline.com for loads of info. grandvalira also has a website but not much happening till the 1st of Dec.

Ski/board school is so good that your partner may give it a go when she gets there. Toofy Grin Mine did, she's been boarding for 10 years now!

There are fantastic spa facilities at the sport hotel in soldeu. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sport Hotel Hermitage in Soldeu is the one you want - if you have the cash that is.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree, the new Sports Hermitage in Soldeu is the place to go for luxury & I don't believe that you can do better anywhere better for ski school than Soldeu, as well as the normal ski school and the private lessons, for the last few years they have also run very good small group lessons (workshops) - great to show you round the mountains and move your skiing on. If you are after a very large thermal spa then there is a huge one in the main town of Andorra La Vella <http://www.hola-andorra.com/caldea/calpi3.html. > This is easily reached by bus or even easier if you have your own transport.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charliebrown, Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowheads newbie45, there has been a number of threads on Andorra recently, so you should find quite a bit out.
We've stayed at the Sport hotel in Soldeu twice and it's expensive by Andorra standards but truelly excellent quality food and accommodation.
It's next to the hermitage spa which a few of the group enjoyed last trip
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ski2006/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skiing2005/skiing2005.html
gives you a few ideas. the dog sledding was really good fun snowHead
hope this helps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not sure there is much in any of the Andorra resorts to kepe a non-skier happy for long, I would have though La Vella with the shopping and the spa has a little more to offer.

Good cheap accomodation is available in La Vella and you could drive up daily to Encamp and get the Gondola from there, alternatively stay at Encamp which would mean a cable car ride for you to Grand Valira and a shortish bus ride to La Vella for your partner. Encamp is quite a bit lower than Soldeu/El Tarter and the road is much more likely to be clear so snow chains probably not needed, but you never know of course.

I stayed at the Guillem in Encamp, was ok but for the price it was excellent. (we paid £370 for what would have cost £800+ in Soldeu)

Keep your eye on the usual hotel sites, Lastminute/Checkin2 etc as occasionally a good bargain appears
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
newbie45, Welcome. I hired a car from Girona last year to go to La Molina (Catalan Pyrennes), they didn't have snow chains available but I saw them in a petrol station for about €20, didn't bother buying them as the roads were dry.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for all the feedback and the welcomes, espeshaly good about the last one as it was worring me about the chains
Holiday plans have morphed a bit as well. Going on my own to Andorra for 5 days in Jan, and Feb with G/F to sunnier climes, maybe next year.

So prioritys have changed a bit am now looking for cheep accomidation, and livley atmospher any suggestions, there is a good thread going on else where about Andorra so am watching that but also looking for specific advice for a solo traveler.
Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy