Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

length of twin tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I was just wondering what is a good length of twin tip to buy? Im looking at the K2 public enemy twin tips, and im not sure. Im about 5'5 and 140 llbs and have heard that the ski is pretty heavy, Im a relatively good skiier and raced for numerous years so im not too concerned with being able to handle the ski..any suggestions on what length would be good?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For all the dogma that people espouse about twins needing to be 'so much' shorter (or longer) than your normal skis, I think it depends more than any other ski on your own taste.
What do u plan to do with them?

The shorter and lighter, the easier they'll be to get off the ground and to get spinning of course. However, if they're your only skis and u plan to carve up the piste on them, you'd want them a little longer for stability etc. I believe longer is also better for landing big jumps, freeriding etc.

YOu sound pretty experienced / confident so maybe a little longer is better for you but we could talk about it all night and you'd still learn more in half an hour by taking a couple differnet lengths out on snow for a test run Wink

btw Welcome to snowHeads athena91 snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Embarassed ! ummm not entirely sure yet what i wanna do with them prolly a lil bit of park but mostly freeriding around
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
athena91, I am female, 5'6" 130 lbs. I ski the Volkl Karma 169. If you are an advanced skier, using a twin tip such as the K2 public enemy for all mountain, powder, I wouldn't recomend that you get anthing much less than 170ish. If you are using it in the park & pipe, you may want to go a bit shorter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just take note of the effective edge of the ski you will buy - lying a 170cm carving piste ski on the ground next to a 185cm twin tip at the same edge contact points will provide a similar effective edge length in most cases. So going longer than your piste ski length is important in my view, plus a true twin will have a softer tail and easier release at the end of turn...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You see there: getoutsideandplay has a good point as to why a twin should be longer than your 'norm'. But I've seen others others argue why it should be shorter. As I said, it depends so much on what you want to do with it.

Look, my own skis are Salomon Pocket Rockets. I bought them after trying out loads of different skis one day in Val Thorens, then whittling them down and re-trying just a few the next day. I ended up sure that I wanted the PR's but torn between 165 and 175. The choice was not really about what was 'right' for me but simply what I preferred. The 165's, with a much smaller turn radius, seemed so nimble: u just leant over a wee bit and before u knew it u were totally round the bend. The 175's though were more stable, less skittish. Ironically, that day, I enjoyed the 165's the best, they were so much fun to do short, fast turns on but I bought the 175's because in the end, I was going to be skiing all terrains at all sorts of speeds and they just seemed the more 'sensible' option rolling eyes Still, off piste, I know the 175's have served me well but last April, Ski Technic, our friendly ski shop at the EoSB leant me some 165cm(?) Scratch FS's one day and I was having so much fun on them I didn't give them back for half a week Cool

The most valuable effort u could possibly expend would be to track down a shop that has the ski(s) u want in 2 or 3 sizes. Tell them of your dilema and ask what other ski might be good to compare it against too. They'll nigh-on beg u to take out each size in turn to find out which one you're going to buy (off them Wink ). Some will charge u a day's hire but refund it from the price of the skis if u buy.
You're not a beginner, so you don't need us telling you what to ski on - once they're under your feet, you'll know Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy