Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
kerekip, any news from Hochkar?? hoping to ski there a week Monday Shock
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, no good news. Only one piste opens this week-end. Currently no other resort to ski nearby Vienna.
It does not look good for a week Monday. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.vol.at/news/vorarlberg/artikel/ski-opening-mit-zwischenfall/cn/news-20061202-08474381

This is an article in German on the first day of the two operating resorts in Voralberg.
30 cm deep natural and artifical snow, not too crowded pistes, but some people suffered their first injuries of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-12-06 12:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kerekip wrote:
kitenski, no good news. Only one piste opens this week-end. Currently no other resort to ski nearby Vienna.
It does not look good for a week Monday. Sad

Well one piste will be ok for one day, as I have a complete beginner with me, trouble is I cannot see from their website wether they actually opened today as planned or not!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I have read report on Hochkar opening on a German site.
They did open the season. Not too many people, so no queues for the only one lift.
There was enough snow on the piste, but everything is green on the resort, they won't be able to open more pistes in the near future unless it snows.
The temperature was above zero all day, ruined the slope very quickly.
The piste at 9 o'clock in the morning looked like as it normally does at the end of the day.

Just a warning from the guy who reported: since the slope condition is poor, now this place is recommended for advanced skiers. Beginners should wait until it snows.

Until Wednesday it is predicted to be even milder. I am considering to cancel my bookings for mid December in Semmering. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks kerekip, I may look at driving further afield, will decide at the end of the week.

The good news is that it looks as if it is snowing on the Hochkar cams now with temps below 1 degrees.

Regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6206236.stm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now this is real time snow reports - can't think why I didn't get here sooner.

What's the latest on Zell am See and Kaprun?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if snow-forecast is to be believed, 20cm should be landing on Kaprun up top throughout Wed day & night.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BASkier, Zell am See (Schmittenhöhe) plans to open December 8, but I would not put all my money on. The local weather station forecast temperature above zero until Thursday, even at the height of 2000m.

Kaprun glacier website claims that 30 cm fresh snow expected by Thursday morning.
Temperatures seem right for the rest of the week, arond or below zero. (Celsius)

Other resort news:

Saalbach plans to open on Thursday. Last Saturday they officially handed over the new six-man chair lift on the Schönleiten side.

Anoter top resort in Tirol, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis also opens on Thursday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, careful, the story you linked to ends on the wrong note for your arguments...

Quote:
Not worried

But local people say they have seen such conditions before.

Nick Newell, who runs a ski chalet for Nick Ski in the French resort of La Tania, says he is not worried.

"It's probably pretty similar to normal for this time of year - it's just not been very cold to put the [artificial snow] cannons on. But it only takes about three days to make a run up with cannons."

And any worries had had no effect on bookings, he said.

"We're up over 10% on last year, and choc-a-block for much of the season," he said.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled,

Some Chalet owners are to be compared to the Iraqi information minister when stating their position. Stanton is just another infidel who they would like to bash with their shoe. What do you expect them to say "it's bobbins this year Ski USA instead "?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Typical Snow forecast, yesterday they were quoting 30cm+ today it's a third of that Crying or Very sad

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun.0to3top.shtml
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To be honest you are better off look at the proper models than bothering with the two obvious forecast sites. They will raise your hopes when there is simply no substance to the forecast. Check GFS and the FAX charts to get a proper view. Its simply too warm for any snow to fall for the next few days. The outlook is even worse this morning.
latest report
micksup wrote:
Its simply too warm for any snow to fall for the next few days. The outlook is even worse this morning.

Today is unseasonably mild, but temperatures are due to drop (at least as far as the French Alps are concerned, sorry not been following the Austrian forecasts). Chamonix Meteo have the freezing level at 2000m tomorrow, dropping to 1300m. They forecast 20-30cm of new snow at 1800m.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I hope so but have you seen the charts for next week. Far too much Oranage where last year there was green and blue.
latest report
micksup, the GFS ensemble is all over the place after the 12th December, so I tend not to look too far out (and in any case I'm only interested in this weekend's weather at the moment as I'll be in Tignes Smile) But you're right of course, still no sign of sustained cold weather...
snow conditions
Here are some pictures taken in Kaprun glacier two days ago.
The full report in German is here.

Piste maintenance in the morning

The view of Kitzsteinhorn from the Gratbahn lift

Glacier in the afternoon
latest report
Cheers kerekip, the snow looks pretty good, considering the warm temps that have been around Smile

I guess it's busy though?

regards

Greg
ski holidays
Cheers Kerekip, ta for the photos and the link to the German site - it seems pretty much as I feared, despite the prospective band of snow on Wed night for the Schmittenhöhe, it'll all be gone by the time we get there on Saturday afternoon. Got to hand it to those Germans for doing a thorough job of a snow report!
ski holidays
kitenski, it is not that mild on the glacier, it is around zero, or a little bit below.
You are right, it was crowded. Needed to wait 5-10 mins for a lift ride. More time for the main lift.
Crowded beacause there is no other place to ski in the neighbourhood.
snow report
well if you believe snow-forecast, they are calling for snow most of the week on Kaprun, 20cm Wed, similiar Sat, F/L up to 2450 by Fri, back down to 700m by Sunday

Which sounds good to me, hope it comes off!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Forecast for Stubai:

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.net/UserFiles/stubaiergletscher/Image/Wetter/prognose06.12.2006.pdf

10-20 cm tonight. Clearing through Friday. Another 30-60 cm by Saturday night. Very cold Sunday. Next week clear with a warming trend (the return of the Föhn?).

Not bad, I guess. But not really good, either.
snow conditions
There is hope for Soll as well: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll.0to3top.shtml as from Sunday
snow report
At least something good to report. The resort of Mayrhofen (Tirol) opens on Friday.
Only two lifts are operational.
The new Ahornbahn, Austria's largest cable car is not in operation yet.

And sad news for St. Anton fans. The opening planned for December 8 is cancelled.
latest report
Ischgl/Samnaun report 60kkms open
ski holidays
oh man I'm out there week friday, best I get nekkid and start snow dancing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.soelden.com is reporting colder weather on its way and decent snowfall over the weekend. www.snow-forecast.com is suggesting considerable snow at mid mountain height in solden over the next six days with temperatures easily cold enough for snow cannons to kick in as well.
latest report
What a difference the beginning of this season makes:

Flachau - World Cup piste webcam today:

The top of the same piste exactly a year ago
latest report
Another news from Ski Amade. Schladming (Planai) has announced that they open 3 pistes and put three lifts into operation from Friday.
They claim on their website that they start using the snow cannons as the temperature drops below -4C.
snow conditions
Snow arrived in the Arlberg (Lech St Anton) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Check back to Page 2 of this thread to my post with the Lech webcams
ski holidays
The ZillerValley got plenty last night aswell - been watching alpen panoroma on german tV Smile
latest report
stanton, I hoped this would be the case as I'm off to Lech for the New Year. Hopefully it stays cold and the expected dump on Saturday arrives.
latest report
ok, any place within reasonable driving distance from Vienna that got a good dump last night? Hockar appears to have only got a dusting and Kaprun says 6cm new Sad
latest report
It's funny looking at the cams there is snow to resort level in Lech but none in St Anton even though there isn't much difference in altitude.
snow report
They allways get more snow in Stuben,Lech & Zurs. The resort being west of the arlberg the snow dumps there first before crossing the Arlberg & St Anton. Dont ask me why , Iknow this to be true everyyear.

If Stuben,Lech or Zurs gets 1.5 mts , St Anton will only get 1mtr.

BTW . There is also 120 Mtrs difference in elevation from St Anton to Stuben or Lech and appx 400M to Zurs. that also DOES make a difference.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
If Stuben,Lech or Zurs gets 1.5 mts , St Anton will only get 1mtr.

Is that the normal daily snowfall in those parts!
ski holidays
I'm due out with a group to St Anton on the 15th, although it looks less and less likely that I will make the trip given the weather outlook. And I don't see the charm in sitting and watching the rain fall for a week, so it's probably a case of writing off the investment and vowing not to allow my partners in crime to book a resort in advance so early in the season. We were to fly in to Innsbruck. Is there any sensible destination where there will be a week's worth of skiable terrain where I could try and book some accomodation accessible from Innsbruck? Bit worried about throwing good money after bad though. Can someone offer advice? Sad
snow report
noggy wrote:
I'm due out with a group to St Anton on the 15th, although it looks less and less likely that I will make the trip given the weather outlook. And I don't see the charm in sitting and watching the rain fall for a week, so it's probably a case of writing off the investment and vowing not to allow my partners in crime to book a resort in advance so early in the season. We were to fly in to Innsbruck. Is there any sensible destination where there will be a week's worth of skiable terrain where I could try and book some accomodation accessible from Innsbruck? Bit worried about throwing good money after bad though. Can someone offer advice? Sad

West Austria forecast to get snow over the weekend, Hintertux is probably the best backup plan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy