Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Nassfeld where the sun shone all week. Offpiste is now tracked out and wind blown but piste conditions are excellent right down to the bottom lift (car park ca 600m). Had my skis serviced just before the trip and the bases are in top condition after a week of skiing.

some webcams here
http://www.bergfex.com/nassfeld-hermagor/webcams/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got back from 6 days in Saalbach from the 26th, and 3 in Zell last night. Snow is patchy and slushy low down, but really good conditions anywhere above 1200m or so.

It was poo, and you really don't wanna go there. Leave it for us strange people, stick to France where it's good! Oh and don't let Nick_C cough anywhere near you! Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charlatanefc, Cough Cough Cough

It kept people out of the gondla's so what you moaning about. BTW I saw the Dr's this morning and I've got a lung infection Sad

Just to be on topic.
We timed it right, Even these last 3 days in Zee with the runs down to village been like spring conditions at the bottom the tops were really enjoyable. donot be too down harted as the tops are still very nice and a there a is a lot of good piste skiing. (could always do with more snow of course) snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick_C,
Quote:

I've got a lung infection

You don't say! Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back from Ischgl. Snowed on the arrival day and blue skys after that. Good conditions, was off piste for 4 days then piste for the last two. However temps were gradually rising and the strong sun was starting to do some damage. With the lack of any decent base I wouldn't be holding out hopes for a long season. Pics later.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ellmau report, arrived back in the UK Sunday after a week in Ellmau. It snowed sat and Sun in the resort which thankfully gave enough snow covering to ski on piste, any boarders going off piste would have been in serious trouble as there was no real deep powder. This resort is possibly the busiest i have been too, with its neighbours, soll, sceffau and brixham/thule.hence it was skied to death and with the temperatures rising and blue skies throughout the week pisted areas open with no cannons at the sides were bare of snow by saturday. had my skis serviced and there is scratches and chunks taken out of them. we were lucky as that weekend was the only real big dump they had. Low cloud came in on Thursday but the temperature was not cold enough for snow, ( -1 deg C at the top of the hartkaiser fernicular ) this meant rain. At the resort snow was turning to mush and puddles were forming everywhere. Driving out to saltzberg all pistes were barren and turning to mud. Lets hope temperatures plummett and snow comes.
saying that apres ski was great. Memory bar from 4-6 and club 66 in the night.
Great resort.
By the way I am not a teenager , 18 y o should be looking at soll.
boo
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How can Nick_C have a lung infection, more like his lungs are missing Shocked I'm sure they were hanging off the cable of the spit-gob-gob-spit-gob express lift.

BTW. I hope you have some drugs that work now!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blytht, Nice imagery.
The Dr gave me a nice course of Penicillin, I showed him what I have been given and he just laughed muttering about cough sweets. Skullie Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife picked up a lung infection in Kaprun. Couldn't ski last two days and went to the doctors today. She was told that it is fairly common in Austria and was promptly sent to the hospital and was given a sick note for 10 days.

One mistery I would like to solve is Where did evryone go at night time in Kaprun.? It was deserted Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevducky wrote:
One mistery I would like to solve is Where did evryone go at night time in Kaprun.? It was deserted Sad

They were all in Lofer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One mistery I would like to solve is Where did evryone go at night time in Kaprun.? It was deserted

Too nakered to party after a day on the Glacier!

Low down is in a bad way and not at all alpine and atmospheric but Maiskogel is viable thanks to cannons and the new lift takes you to the top to take the red run. Glacier area is running well but busiest I have seen it in 3 years. Wont be to everyones taste but we had fun today - wife got lost for 1.5 hours!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Mayrhofen, snow pretty good on piste, packed and fast. Don't try to ski Eghalm, fine until you try to ski down to the bubble to get back to Penkenbahn. The cows were happily grazing, looked a bit like Les Gets from a couple of weeks ago.

Plenty of accomodation available in village at mo. We stayed in Alpenschossl Apart Hotel, would reccomend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am off to soll on 23rd Feb any feedback on the snow report ? cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone have any first hand experiences (recently) of Schladming?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mariajayne, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Peter Leuzzi, Timberwolf was there last week... here
ski holidays
BOYO - I don't want to be rude against women, but how can anyone get lost on Maiskogal? There is only a red and a blue run. Even my 17 yr Old son and his mate, neither bright sparks only got lost for an hour in Zell after taking a left fork rather than right.

At Kaprun, Maiskogal was probably the best area, but was a bit icy at the top of the red. The glacier was superb powder at the top, but then turned to that horrible icy lumpy stuff and then got busy at the bottle neck. Last sunday, the wind was that strong near the top (glacier was closed) that it was actually blowing small snowballs at you as you came off the lift. Prefered Zell to kaprun
ski holidays
Cheers Ray Zorro,
latest report
Diarmuid,

Hey Diarmuid,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had pretty good conditions, am very jealous.

Heading to Ischgl next thursday for 10 days and am hoping for good snow. You say the snow was not great when you were leaving, how bad is it? I keep reading the snow forecasts and it always looks good but it never seems to turn out that way. MetCheck is predicting a decent amount of snow on Tuesday which would be ideal for us but somehow I am dubious at this stage.

Also very important question, how much is beer is Ischgl? I heard it is a good bit more expensive than other Austrian resorts.
snow report
Ian_S, i get the same thing the snow reports for ischgl seem to show a small amount of snow everyday but nothing seems to change on the actual conditions
does anyone have a good 7 day forecast site for ischgl Puzzled
snow conditions
Neilski, Tonight and tomorrow there was supposed to be 9 cms falling then another 17 cms forecast from Sat night to Monday night at midstation, (from snow-forecast.com) staying below freezing for next 6 days. But I've been watching reports for the resort we are going to and everytime they forecast snow, as the time approaches, it reduces to nothing, or when you check the webcams when it's meant to be snowing, there is nothing falling at all. So I don't trust anything now except live pictures!! I certainly don't think they can predict more than 3 days ahead - better still, email the hotel owners and get them to stick their head out of the window.... wink
ski holidays
Quote:

One mistery I would like to solve is Where did evryone go at night time in Kaprun.? It was deserted

I have to say I wondered that when I was there. A couple of the guide books described Kaprun as a "lively" resort..... We hiked around the bars for what seemed like an age and only ever saw 2 men and a dog... and even the dog turned out to be a stuffed marmotte!!! Zell much much better for apres as the slopes close and nightlife later on in my opinion. Not rowdy, just lively!
snow report
Outlook for the beginning of the week in Austria (not too good):

Monday: windy, and mostly rain in the mountains, freezing level at 1300 m in the morning goes up to 1800-2000 m in the afternoon
Tuesday: cold for one day only, mostly dry, freezing level under 900 m all day
Wednesday: getting mild again, temps go higher and higher ...
latest report
i feel like crying. i'm going to mayrhofen this saturday for one week, and was assured by my travel agent - when i asked about how it was snow-wise bearing in mind the fairly bad ski season europe was having - that it had one of the best records as it was near a glacier (?not even sure how that would work?). But when i look snow cms up on the net, Mayrhoefen seems to be right at the bottom of the pack with 5 cms. Sad
snow report
Ridha,
The glacier is up the road at Hintertux. According to the SCGB there is 50cm at the top of Mayrhofen with 'Excellent' piste skiing. I am a bit sceptical abuot how this will hold up if there is warm weather but you may get lucky and it may snow.
latest report
Obertauern has 26 cms forecast from Monday night through to Wednesday, but it is the highest resort in Austria. Doesn't have the length of runs of some resorts, (vertical drop) and isn't a large area for strong intermediates, but at least it has plenty of snow at the moment and more to come, so hope the rest of Austria shares in its forecast.
latest report
Ridha, here is a German report with a lot of pics on Mayrhofen/Zillertal Valley taken yesterday. Some hills may look brown, but the pistes look good.
snow report
mpbreen53,

What was the snow like in Niederau?

We are staying at the Hafenwirt from the 17/02/2007 for a week.

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
Quote:

Obertauern has 26 cms forecast from Monday night through to Wednesday, but it is the highest resort in Austria.

Obertauern is high but not the highest in Austria.... Obertauern is 1740m at resort level.... Obergurgl is 1930m, Kuhtai is 2020m. The highest level skiing in Obertauern is not as high as the various glaciers across the coutry. It does have a very good snow record though, and often has good snow when other resorts in the area are sufferring wink wink wink

Back to topic.... was in Kitz last week and snow was poor until we had a smallish dump on Tuesday nite which refreshed the pistes and made it fun again. Off piste very seriously suffering and very limited. Normal year in Kitz then... why is everywhere esle worse than usual and Kitz the same as ever wink wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowGod wrote:
Obertauern is high but not the highest in Austria.... Obertauern is 1740m at resort level.... Obergurgl is 1930m, Kuhtai is 2020m. The highest level skiing in Obertauern is not as high as the various glaciers across the coutry. It does have a very good snow record though, and often has good snow when other resorts in the area are sufferring wink wink wink

Obergurgl-Hochgurgl (1800-3080m) has the the record of the most snow days among the non-glacier resorts.
They were open for 171 days two years ago!
snow conditions
Quote:

They were open for 171 days two years ago! Mon Feb 12, 07 15:37

Quick

Bet they aren't this year!!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
It has been a long time that I am able to report good news on the slopes:
Yesterday a snow storm went through Austria and it snowed in the mountains:

Saalbach - 15cm, Ischgl 25cm, and Nassfeld 30cm fresh snow.
These three resorts are located in various parts of the country just to illustrate this nationwide snowing.
Unfortunately the resorts in Ski-Amade (Schladming, Flachau) did report fresh snow.
latest report
kerekip wrote:
It has been a long time that I am able to report good news on the slopes:
Yesterday a snow storm went through Austria and it snowed in the mountains:

Saalbach - 15cm, Ischgl 25cm, and Nassfeld 30cm fresh snow.
These three resorts are located in various parts of the country just to illustrate this nationwide snowing.
Unfortunately the resorts in Ski-Amade (Schladming, Flachau) did report fresh snow.
I love Nassfeld...very underated destination.
snow report
ScannAr wrote:
I love Nassfeld...very underated destination.

Nassfeld is a really good place for skiing. Let me be selfish, I am not really worried that it is not so popular by the TOs.
Probably the best snow (170cm) in Austria at the moment.
ski holidays
A friend of mine sent me this picture from Schladming (Hauser Kabling).
Close to the bottom of the chair lift (at 1300m)

snow report
Kerekip,

Ouch! Sad

Off to Soll on Thursday and was told that it is not much better in some places...

Ah well at least there will still be some ski to be had... snowHead
ski holidays
The bottom of that lift is at 800m. Schladming has 90% of lifts and runs open at the moment and report good skiing. They have had a fair bit of new snow this week above 1200m. So its not all doom and gloom. Here is the webcam at the top of the Reiteralm, looks nice to me!

http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/content/blogcategory/45/80/lang,de/
latest report
DRHOSKING, Agree with comments, I was in schladming a couple of weeks back and lower down looked just like that pic, but higher up was okay and plenty of piste skiing still. Zauchensee and Flachau down the road seem to have more snow cover. Had a half decent powder day in Zauchensee when there was just dusting in schladming.
ski holidays
aNYONE GOT A RECENT REPORT ON kITZBUHEL? aM OFF OUT THERE ON 28 fEB FOR LONG WEEKEND.
dESPERATE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS REALLY LIKE OUT THERE.......

Thnks Little Angel
ski holidays
Am off to the Zillertal tomorrow - cant wait!

Ill be sure to take many pictures Very Happy
latest report
Exceptionally high temps in the Eastern Alps at present. Very warm again for the middle of Winter.

Hovering around 5 - 15c in Saalbach and St Anton today. It was even 9c in Zermatt at lunchtime.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy