Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
DB, the only real issue is accomodation, nothing more.

Zurich or Geneva can access so many resorts that all you need to decide is whether you want Austria Switz, or France Switz with Italy accessible from both. The Swiss train service is awesome.

Problem is found with the popular resorts, finding cheap accomodation near the time when it is clear that the snow is good is very difficult.

I think the answer lies in being absolutely minted!

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum,

Salzburg / Innsbruck are pretty similar being surrounded by so many resorts. I bet there's accomodation to be found in Nassfeld at the moment even though it has over a metre of fresh powder this week. Other than Xmas/New Year and School Holidays (inc easter) I've never had a problem finding somewhere and I book very late sometimes the night before. Realize than accomodation for a group would be more difficult but you might even get a good deal with a part full hotel. The hotel / apartment might not be in the best position (without ski in ski out) or or be the best standard but what's more important the hotel or the snow conditions? It's basically reducing your risk on the weather in exchange for a small amount of accomodation risk.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snow outlook is looking quite interesting for parts of Austria

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/hazcharts/eursnow_th.htm
latest report
 brian
brian
stanton, it is indeed:

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/nmm4/ASNFL69.JPG
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian wrote:
stanton, it is indeed:

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/nmm4/ASNFL69.JPG
We are off to Kaprun tomorrow. Sorry I sound so ignorant but why does the snow outlook seem so interesting. The thing that looks interesting to me was looking at the Kaprun webcam to see skiers racing down the piste with Snow trails coming up behind them.

Wif is packing now but I am geing too giddy and she has sent me to my room to play Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It seems that bit of snow that was due tomorrow is slowly petering out on the way south Sad Just as I about to climb in the car to head to Ischgl. It's down to a dusting now.
Hopefully that front rages its way south for mid week snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nassfeld has 180cm (most of it fresh this week).
Rang up the hotel last night, checked with the boss and confirmed hotel today, on our way tomorrow for a weeks skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Zillertal Valley as very good conditions. We have been skiing here all week due to our resort not having any snow.

The low resorts still have very poor conditions but above 1800 mtrs it seem to be very good.

Our resort opened two runs today but this was on artifical snow and very icey conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't Care about the Zillertall valley. ALL I WANT to know is how fantastic Kaprun & Zell am See is. please lie if no other coments come in. Going to bed after big brother then Holidays!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing in Zell am See at the moment - about 3cms in the town. Plenty of good skiing here after loads of snowmaking and about 15cm natural snow over the last 4 days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meister Jäger wrote:
Snowing in Zell am See at the moment - about 3cms in the town. Plenty of good skiing here after loads of snowmaking and about 15cm natural snow over the last 4 days.
That is what I wanted to know. 2 hours before the taxi picks us up. Looks a bit cold out there. -17 c. The forcast says it starts warming up from sunday, so hopefully a good weeks skiing Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its dumping loads of fresh snow here in Ischgl. The last 2 days was really good skiing. Shame i have to go home later Mad Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than for you to wake up to a white village on Monday .... fingers crossed for you

Just back from my four days in Saalbach. Arrived Tuesday to find a very green looking valley, things were not looking at all hopeful at all. A delay with our transfer had ruled out any skiing Tuesday, so we sorted out our gear and got royally trashed at Bobby's Bar. Went to bed drunk and no sign of snow even at 2am.

However, woke up Wednesday to the most beautiful snowy landscape in all four directions. My guess on the ground was about 4/5 inches of new snow had fallen and was still falling. The whole resort was now completely white and for the first time the place felt like a ski resort! Got our skis on early and headed to the top of the Bernkogel. Snow was still falling quite heavy and up there the snow depths seemed far far higher than any reports. The new powder combined with the working overtime snow cannons meant that the skiing was quite tough, a very icy base with very loose powder on top a new experience for me. I reckon 80% of the resort was open and conditions were pretty good considering.

Thursday was even better, cold with blue skies. The piste bashers and snow cannons had worked wonders and the runs we skiied on were nigh on perfect, certainly for me anyway. A further sprinkling of snow Thursday and Friday kept every where looking reasonably white, but the runs were all in great condition and great mix for our group of intermediate skiers.

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad we didn't cancel our trip as I honestly feel we had the best 3 days skiing of the season so far, and as long as the temps don't get too high the resort looks set for a true revival in 2007. Any questions?

p.s. Photos to follow and you'll see what i mean...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 27-01-07 21:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski-finder, good to hear Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A piccy from each day in Saalbach as promised:

Day 1 - 23/01/2007

Day 2 - 24/01/2007

Day 3 - 25/01/2007

Day 4 - 26/01/2007

Just gotta have faith, and a kick ass snow dance!!!! Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 21-09-08 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ski-finder, nice pictures... Shows what a difference a day makes!
snow report
I left Niederau today at 12:30, and I reckon they had at least 6 inches of snow between dinner time last night and leaving today, and it was still snowing heavily when I left.

Conditions yesterday were still pretty dire, with only two runs open, and those mostly ice and artificial, but today's snow must have made a big difference.
snow report
Got back from St Anton last night, it had been snowing heavily all day. There was about 4 inches at resort level when we left at 3pm so for the people who arrived yesterday, they'll have great snow ( grrr). Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern Snow Report for 26/01/2007 from snow-forecast.com and Tourist Office Site.

Last snowed: 26/01/2007
Lifts open: 26 out of 26
Snow Depths
Lower slopes: 70 cm
Upper slopes: 120 cm
New snow at bottom 15 cm
On piste: Powder
Off piste: Powder
Resort runs: open
snow report
I know I'm not off till Saturday but has it started snowing in Niederau yet? It's my first skiing trip and would love to get the chance to actually ski!
latest report
just back from zell/kaprun and the conditions in the last 2 days are the best iv skied on in 8 years sking both in zell and on the kitzhorn. anyone going out in the next few days couldnt have timed it better.
snow conditions
kamikaze, bollox , we got half a METRA OF SNPOW SEE LATER .p

HAVING A GOOD TIME COME and have some good fun.
snow conditions
Nick_C, You been on the Jaegermeister?! Really pleased that the conditions have improved for you, and that you're having a good time. I was telling people how it was when I was out there (which was pretty poor, as I think my photos showed). In terms of conditions I had prob the worst week I'd seen, although the reports coming back from the slopes are now much better. Am really pleased for you snowHead

Almost as soon as I got back, the snowgods must have been looking favourably on me, as I got asked to go to a work meeting in Denver. So flights to Colorado paid for, for a few bonus days on the pistes this coming week .... snowHead snowHead
snow report
kamikaze, I,m out here with Nick_C, conditions fantastic, 12" powder in the last day minimum. Sorry you missed the good stuff but we,ve really lucked in Toofy Grin Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Good for you and good for Saalbach. I'll just have to console myself with the fact that there's a 40-50" base in most of the mountains above Denver snowHead
Mind you - in reading up I've been amazed at how high the mountains are. Closest resort to Denver (which appears to be Loveland) has a valley height of 3230m and goes up to 3965m ... anyway this is an "Austrian snow report" thread so I guess I'll have to run off and talk about that somewhere else!
snow conditions
mpbreen53,

niederau forecasts have improved considerably so we should be ok. check out : http://www.wildschoenau.com/content/aktuelles/panoramakamera.asp
snow report
I've just checked the long range forecast on netweather.tv for Bad Gastein. Now I generally rate the forecasts because it's normally what ends up happening. However, for Fri 9th Feb they're predicting 2.5m ... and i'll be there then.

So, before I run out into the street to shout at the top of my voice NehNeh NehNeh , how much should I trust this given it's more than a week away?

Cheers wink
snow report
mpbreen53, As I said above, it was snowing heavily in Neiderau on Saturday (as we were leaving).

I thought about six inches, and reports since say they had 15cm, so I was about right.

There is more forecast for later this week too, but not much. Not that the forecasts were remotely close to right last week. We were getting nothing or a light dusting on days whe n we weer supposed to get a lot, then got loads on Friday/Saturday when there was supposed to be nothing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any up to date info on Kitz? Going on Saturday... shall I take my ski's or mountain bike?
ski holidays
I am in Kartnen. Its w´here the snows at. We skied mallniz the last 3 days. It snowed a lot and yesterday was bluebird and powder. plus no one skied off piste so I was making 8s with my own tracks all day.
snow conditions
I am off to Kitzbuhel with some friends from Feb 7-11th.

Can anyone see into their crystal ball for me with a snow report? The forecasts seem to suggest no change over the next week - clear and cold, but little more snow. I dont pay too much attention until a day or two before we go, but I can't help myself asking!

I haven't skied for 17 years, so I'm a little bit excited Very Happy
latest report
Gilbern74, welcome to snowheads

You're back skiing after 17 years, well done, as long as it stays cold they should be able to keep the pistes open. What happen you have had such a long break in wintersports activity or were you snowboarding all that time?
ski holidays
Gilbern74, Any connection with the Welsh car? Welcome BTW. snowHead
snow report
Flachau is absolute Powder City at the moment. NehNeh
snow report
Peter Ross wrote:
Gilbern74, welcome to snowheads

You're back skiing after 17 years, well done, as long as it stays cold they should be able to keep the pistes open. What happen you have had such a long break in wintersports activity or were you snowboarding all that time?

Thanks very much! Life & a career got in the way Sad , kept me too busy and I never really thought about skiing for a long time. A decision I now regret and I'm really looking forward to going again and making it an annual event - along with the wife and kids next time. I have family in Norway, so I may plan going there for next year.

Chris Bish wrote:
Gilbern74, Any connection with the Welsh car? Welcome BTW. snowHead

Yes! I own a Gilbern Invader MkIII (1974), currently being slowly restored in my garage Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
[quote="Kersh"]
Quote:
However, for Fri 9th Feb they're predicting 2.5m ...

Should this be 2.5 mm or are you having a laugh at 2.5 meters Laughing
snow conditions
Just back from Nassfeld on Saturday,it was powder city all week from Sunday,best snow in Austria i was told,very underated resort.
snow report
[quote="stewart woodward"]
Kersh wrote:
Quote:
However, for Fri 9th Feb they're predicting 2.5m ...

Should this be 2.5 mm or are you having a laugh at 2.5 meters Laughing

It wasn't in mm but I reckon I got my maths a bit wrong there!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Weather update from local sources:

Sunday: mostly cloudy and dry, strong winds up to 100 km/h
1500m: - 4 and + 3
2000m: - 6 and + 1
3000m: below - 6

Monday: almost the same, a little bit milder and less windy

From Tuesday: it is getting colder, -4 and -10 at 2000m at midday, fresh snow also expected
latest report
Just got back from a week in kaprun/Zell. Had heavy snow last saturday, so the piste in Kaprun was wonderful powder especially on the glacier. However very windy first couple of days so many of teh runs were closed which led to worn pistes in the lower areas. Zell has some good skiing at the top but varying temps meant lower down there was a mixture of hard snow and worn runs. Good week, Some excellent skiing to be had, but they could do with more snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy