Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Zürs-Lech has delayed their opening, one week (so far they will open by next Friday 8th)...I've read if there's possible and could open earlier, they will... rolling eyes , but the weather forecast is not so optimist.

Anyway we're gonna be there between 2nd until 9th and believe we'll only have chance for trekking Confused. I was dreaming to be able to ski for a whole week in Austria, but I will just few separate days in Andorra, during this winter...

We'll try to enjoy the après-ski at Lech at least...not skiing but many beers with my relatives...

fuc***g weather!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kerekip wrote:
Updated openings for this weekend in Austria

It would be a long list to name the resorts who delayed their planned openings, so I am trying to focus on those few resorts that announced their opening this weekend.

(...)

- Ischgl opens on Friday, limited operation

OK, this could save the disaster...as I know there're about 15 miles from Lech until Ischgl and we could arrange a transportation. I was trying to see how many slopes or km will be open at Ischgl, but without any result...do you know which is the skiable area?

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
floquet de neu,
A bit further than Ischgl but still possibly doable by car looking at the map what about Kuhtai or Pitztal? I would have thought they would be open, perhaps some more Austrian savvy snowHead 's than myself might know.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did Hochkar announce anything kerekip?? Nothing on their website...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
floquet de neu wrote:
I was trying to see how many slopes or km will be open at Ischgl, but without any result...do you know which is the skiable area?

Many thanks

The pistes served by following lifts operate in Ischgl from December 1:

Silvrettabahn (skiing back to the valley is closed), Fimbabahn, Pardatschgratbahn, Gratbahn, Idjochbahn, Flimjochbahn, Velillbahn, Sonnenlift, Übungslift Velill, Übungslift Viderböden, Pendelbahn, Flimsattelbahn, Alp Trida Sattelbahn, Milolift
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at this forcast, They think we'll get a little bit next week
http://www.wetter.at/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/ramsau-dachstein
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, I talked to them, and they want to open this week-end, but I doubt. They hope that they can open a few pistes, but I think the chance is too small. They still do not know what will be, I guess this is the reason for nothing on their web site.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully it will snow before I am in Vienna on the 10th December!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks folks! wink

I though there're 15 miles from Lech until Ischgl, but in viamichelin.com I've discovered there're around 100km until there Shocked Shocked Shocked anyway the skiable area seems not so bad there.

...I'm more than sure next season I'll book our ski travel by February and in a resort with glacier...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I have booked Semmering for Dec 16-18, and I am not worried about snow at the moment, but .. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well there is plenty of time to go kerekip, I've been looking at the Hochkar website daily, temps don't seem to high, and there appears to be snow lying on the ground, so hopefully one decent dump will open it all up Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slippy, After to look at hundreds and hundreds of weather websites and forecast graphs (I almost have become a weather expert wink ) MANY THANKS TO IMPROVE MY FEELINGS...looking the weather at Lech...snowing from Sunday until Thursday! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't trust anything about forecasting further than 3...hummm.....1.....few hours! but thanks anyway for the link wink

http://www.wetter.at/ski-wetter/oesterreich/vorarlberg/lech-zuers-am-arlberg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lech to Ischgl is more than 15 miles. I seriously would not bother with Ischgl if you want guranteed snow.

My advice would be go the nearest Glaicer which would be

Pitztal

http://www.pitztaler-gletscher.at/

or

Kaunertale

http://www.gletscher.at/

Im afraid Lech doenst look to good today but it may change. Dont dispair Pistes get covered there vey quick with only one dump & that could be this weekend Very Happy

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, hope you're right and snow will come within this weekend, They've postponed the opening until 8th, but I understood , if possible, they could open earlier, do you think (if there's snow enough) they would do it?

We'll consider to rent a van and try the nearest glaciers in the worst case. Otherwise we'll rest there and enjoy a skiing resort plenty of grass...IN DECEMBER! Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here are two links for the SnowHeads reading in German on the current situation in Austria, especially in Zell am See, Ski Amade, and Ötscher (Vienna):

http://www.salzburger-fenster.at/rubrik/lokales/3906/17-grad-skiorte-zittern-um-schnee-und_4451.html

http://noe.orf.at/stories/154075/
snow report
floquet de neu,

Im sure they will open ASAP . If it turns colder and they get the cannons on overnight.
snow report
Wagrain (Ski Amade) announced to open this Saturday. Only 4 lifts and upper slopes.

As summary, the following resorts open this week-end:

- all the glaciers
- Obertauern
- Ischgl
- Reiteralm
- Hauser Kaibling
- Flachau
- Zauchensee
- Wagrain/Grafenberg
- Schafberg/Gargellen
- Hochjoch
- Obergurgl/Hochgurgl
- Kühtai
- Tauplitz

Note: the non-glacier resorts do not open all the pistes. (Teilbetrieb)
latest report
The Hochkar webcams show lots of cloud, and high humidty, but a touch too warm at 1770m!!!

Air temperature: 3.5°C
Air humidity: 91.0%
snow conditions
looks like Hochkar will open Smile

First, we want snow too!
But we are starting our winter season at 1st of December with one lift (detachable 4-seater chairlift) and one slope (Nr. 1 Family slope) - this slope is in a very good condition. These days it was unfortunately not cold enough for snowing - but maybe it is changing these days.
Best wishes
your Hochkar-Team
ski holidays
kerekip wrote:
Wagrain (Ski Amade) announced to open this Saturday. Only 4 lifts and upper slopes.

As summary, the following resorts open this week-end:

- all the glaciers
- Obertauern
- Ischgl
- Reiteralm
- Hauser Kaibling
- Flachau
- Zauchensee
- Wagrain/Grafenberg
- Schafberg/Gargellen
- Hochjoch
- Obergurgl/Hochgurgl
- Kühtai
- Tauplitz

Note: the non-glacier resorts do not open all the pistes. (Teilbetrieb)

Question:
Where does the info that Kühtai is opening come from? I've checked their website and see no mention of it. The webcams show a little snow, but not much. The weather update on is still from 1 May 2006 and includes something called the 'Erotic Barometer' (no really, it does). More general weather forecasts for the region are not favourable (for snow, not sure about erotic levels).

Kühtai and Stubai are looking like my only options for Christmas if things don't get better quickly, so I'd like to know where I can find info as to whether or not they are opening (I'd have thought the website would be the place, but again, I see no mention of it).
latest report
Looking at the snow forecasts off Metcheck it looks like most of Austria will get snow from next Wednesday.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=202
latest report
*sigh* metcheck forecasts being based on GFS, which as we've established over the past few weeks are seriously changeable. It does look more promising now (http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_1047_ens.png) than it has for a while, but it could all change by the weekend... let's see.
ski holidays
ami in berlin wrote:
Where does the info that Kühtai is opening come from? I've checked their website and see no mention of it. The webcams show a little snow, but not much. The weather update on is still from 1 May 2006 and includes something called the 'Erotic Barometer' (no really, it does). More general weather forecasts for the region are not favourable (for snow, not sure about erotic levels).

The "erotic barometer" was introduced to give a more accurate and understandable reading for people who have booked early season ski trips. Many people don't understand weather charts, barometric pressures etc. The purpose of this new barometer was to convey to the people in simple terms what the weather actually means for them in an erotic nature.

At the moment the Erotic Barometer is reading "screwed", if it doesn't snow soon it could move to totally f .... (censored).

wink
latest report
ami in berlin wrote:

Question:
Where does the info that Kühtai is opening come from? I've checked their website and see no mention of it.

http://www.lifte.at/ - this is the website for lift company operating Kühtai.

On the top of the page they claim that they open December 1.
But this is a very limited operation. Only the Startbahn lift and the Alpemrosenlift can be used.
snow conditions
kerekip wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:

Question:
Where does the info that Kühtai is opening come from? I've checked their website and see no mention of it.

http://www.lifte.at/ - this is the website for lift company operating Kühtai.

On the top of the page they claim that they open December 1.
But this is a very limited operation. Only the Startbahn lift and the Alpemrosenlift can be used.

Thanks.

Odd that there is no mention of it on the Kühtai site:
http://www.schneegarantie.at/

Then again, German and Austrian web design normally doesn't follow any sort of logic, and usually seems to be something of an after-thought, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised.
snow conditions
ami in berlin wrote:
Then again, German and Austrian web design normally doesn't follow any sort of logic, ...
That is true. Some places have two sites, one for the resort and another one for the lift operator. Very often the information is lost between them.
ski holidays
ami in berlin,

Quote:

Kühtai and Stubai are looking like my only options for Christmas if things don't get better quickly, so I'd like to know where I can find info as to whether or not they are opening (I'd have thought the website would be the place, but again, I see no mention of it).

The Stubai glacier is already open! type in stubaier gletscher into a search engine will lead you to their site. went there at Easter and there was soooo much snow. compared to other glaciers I've been to it was excellent although the vast majority need to catch a bus or drive to get there.
ski holidays
Tirol wrote:
ami in berlin,

Quote:

The Stubai glacier is already open! type in stubaier gletscher into a search engine will lead you to their site. went there at Easter and there was soooo much snow. compared to other glaciers I've been to it was excellent although the vast majority need to catch a bus or drive to get there.

Yes, I know it is. I never said it wasn't. As was made clear in the first paragraph of my question, I was aksing about the opening of Kühtai.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ami in berlin wrote:
Tirol wrote:
ami in berlin,

Quote:

Yes, I know it is. I never said it wasn't. As was made clear in the first paragraph of my question, I was aksing about the opening of Kühtai.

rolling eyes ooh get you! wink
ski holidays
I can't believe I've never even put on a pair of ski's before and I'm not due to leave for my first trip till Jan. but already finding myself looking at all sorts of websites and checking the weather daily. I'm addicted already and haven't even tried it yet!!!
ski holidays
slippy wrote:
I can't believe I've never even put on a pair of ski's before and I'm not due to leave for my first trip till Jan. but already finding myself looking at all sorts of websites and checking the weather daily. I'm addicted already and haven't even tried it yet!!!

You've got it bad, but there's so much further to fall... wink
snow report
DB wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:

The "erotic barometer" was introduced to give a more accurate and understandable reading for people who have booked early season ski trips. Many people don't understand weather charts, barometric pressures etc. The purpose of this new barometer was to convey to the people in simple terms what the weather actually means for them in an erotic nature.

At the moment the Erotic Barometer is reading "screwed", if it doesn't snow soon it could move to totally f .... (censored).

wink

Is there really an "Erotic Barometer" or is this a wind-up?!

If there is, has anyone got a link to it please? I'm still deliberating about whether to book for Christmas, and if so where, and it might help...

cheers snowHead
snow report
slippy, I am so excited for you. Getting going on skis is just the best. The laughter, adventure and companionship cannot be beaten. I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time.

Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned the hopeful GFS for next week. I was starting to fret about our Christmas week at Saalbach. Yes, I know it is only November.....

snowHead
snow report
SkiBod wrote:
DB wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:

wink

Is there really an "Erotic Barometer" or is this a wind-up?!

If there is, has anyone got a link to it please? I'm still deliberating about whether to book for Christmas, and if so where, and it might help...

cheers snowHead

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.auf-wind.at/ortswetter/kuehtai.pdf
Only in German, I'm afraid (there's one more stereotype busted).

DB, Let me see if I got your explanation right. You're saying that if I go to Kühtai I'll get some, irrespective of snow conditions? In fact, you seem to be saying that if conditions don't change soon, my chances are even better. Cool.
ski holidays
ami in berlin, Thanks for that! Now I just need to learn German!
ski holidays
I'm a little bored, so here is a translation. I remind you this is posted on the weather page of a ski resort.

May 1

Spring is coming and the temperature is now rising, so the sun is wandering through the steer, the most erotic character in the animal world.

As a result, you are now reaching your physical and mental peak. You are enjoying the hours you spend with your partner. There is no room for arguing, because you can see the positive and beautiful things in life.

This naturally has an effect on your partner, too. They feel comfortable with you and are completely turned on by your erotic and dynamic disposition.
snow report
Update for the Saalbach fans: the planned opening date is December 7, 2006 (Thursday)

Only 2 resorts open in Voralberg, Hochjoch and Schafberg/Gargellen.
Hochjoch operates only on the week-ends.
Gargellen does not delay the "White Element" Grand Opening, it is sad that only one piste is skiable.

All the other Voralberg resorts including Lech/Zürs seem to open next week-end.
ski holidays
guys I'm trying to find photos of the austrian toboggan run in hochwurzen. would anyone have any please? snowHead too
latest report
Translated from the Ischgl site's weather forecast Very Happy
Quote:
On Tuesday last interference remainders will draw-off and before a strong cold front, the clouds relax once again föhnig up. As of Wednesday the winter would be allowed to find then yet finally the way to us.

So anytime after Wednesday then Laughing
snow report
RachelQ, At the moment, Ischgl issues only daily tickets, but they are free of charge. Skiing is very limited and pistes do not look too good.
It is advised not take your best equipment with you. Either rent a ski or use the old models.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy