Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
I have to say that even with good condtions in St Anton not all the resort is open normally that early . For example Rendl does not normally open untill a couple of days or so before Xmas . Also they try to keep Kappl saved for the Xmas crowds In recent years Schindler is also not open until a couple of days before Xmas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Follow-up

IMO Its not neccesary to book in advance at all for anytime before Xmas & low season Janaury .

You could turn up with 100 people and would have no problem finding accomodation, even if there was 2 metres of snow in the town.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ishgl is my top tip

I'm booked into hintertux from the 15th onwards however I'm starting to lean towards ishgl as I have a positive feeling
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy, Chill, they are skiing in Austria at this very moment, there was snow in St Anton yesterday but not in the town, there is more due this weekend, the 15th is ages away yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are off to Zell Am See on the 15th, which I meticulously researched and booked in August. Chose Austria on the basis it has had such a good record of snow early and late season and as the downside, Kaprun is right nearby. My logic was very pessimistic at the time because I thought "as if there will be no snow in Zell Am See" .

Sad Sad Sad

Have emailed the hotel and asked them to open the resort and sort out snow. They were unco-operative.

I asked them if they have any clues about when it might open but they haven't replied...(read "ignored" for stupid question asked by punter).

Snow-forecast.com (which has been poo poo'd by many snowHead presumably on the basis that as they are the messengers we should shoot them...and if the ferryman was around snowHead wouldn't pay him beacuse he probably has something to do with it as well) has suggested SnowGod is dumping albeit not that heavily. Next week I understand will be warmer, and by the weekend who knows.

I don't fancy queuing for hours at Kaprun to ski hardpack and ice, so will someone please rub my belly and make me feel better....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, well, if this forecast that brian alerted us to earlier today is in anyway accurate, Zell looks to be having the best part of a metre of snow on Saturday night.

If it doesn't happen, aim you wrath at brian wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, you might have a chance in Saalbach, 20 mins away by bus. Looking at webcams a couple of weeks ago (a sad habit of bookmarked webcams for every resort I've been too) they seemed to be blowing plenty of snow. The lift system is so efficient there I'm sure you'd be quickly whisked up to runs where the snowguns have been on.

I think there's a snowHead with a guesthouse in Saalbach who might be able to give a scoop on conditions there, can't remember the name, sorry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, love you.....Moreso, it'll be very interesting to ski on blue and pink snow. What causes that anyway?

JimiHendrix, cheers axeman.

More belly rubbers please
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach is more grass than snow at present. They have 2 lifts open for fussgangers! Bring on that metre of purple and pink snow!

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, sorry, but what is a "fussganger"?

Is that a traditionalist that persists with just white snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow-forecast.co (collective snowHead moan) is suggesting snow morning, noon and night for the next 3 days. Could well be forecast beyond that but I am relying on the "poverty pack" only and not subscribing this year....yet

Ray Zorro, please forward home address and phone number of brian in case I need it after a bad weekend
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have got a newsletter from skiresort.de on the current situation on the Austrian resorts.
This might be useful for any brave SnowHeads going to ski to Austria.
(I do not think this list is complete ...)

Quote:
- Bad Mitterndorf/Tauplitz 3 Lifte, 4 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Dachsteingletscher alle Anlagen täglich TANV
- Flachau 3 Lifte, 3 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Galtür (ab 10.12.2006)
- Gargellen 2 Lifte, 1 km Abfahrt täglich TAN
- Göstling/Hochkar 1 Lift, 2 km Abfahrten täglich TA
- Hauser-Kaibling 5 Lifte, 3 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Hochfügen 3 Lifte, 2 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Ischgl-Samnaun 18 Lifte, 65 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Kaltenbach/Hochzillertal (ab 11.12.2006)
- Kühtai 2 Lifte, 2 km Abfahrten täglich TA
- Mayrhofen/Penken 4 Lifte, 3 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Mölltaler Gletscher 5 Lifte, 31 km Abfahrten täglich TANV
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl 11 Lifte, 50 km Abfahrten täglich TA/TAN
- Obertauern 13 Kifte, 45 km Abfahrten täglich TA
- Pitztaler Gletscher alle Anlagen täglich TANV
- Pitztal/Hochzeiger 2 Lifte, 5 km Abfahrten täglich
- Pichl/Reiteralm 5 Lifte, 8 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Schladming/Planai 4 Lifte, 3 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Schruns/Hochjoch 2 Lifte, 2 km Abfahrten nur Wochenende TAN
- Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 16 Lifte, 12 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Sölden (Retten- und Tiefenbachferner) 10 Lifte, 36 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Stubaier Gletscher 17 Lifte, 24 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Turracher Höhe täglich TA
- Tux/Hintertuxer Gletscher 14 Lifte, 43 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Wagrain 5 Lifte, 3 km Abfahrten täglich TAN
- Zauchensee 3 Lifte, 4 km Abfahrten täglich TA
- Zillertal Arena (ab 11.12.2006)

Abfahrten: pistes
Täglich: daily
Nur Wochenende: only week-ends
TA = pistes to the valley are open
TAB = pistes to the valley are skiable with limitations
TAN = pistes to the valley are closed
TANV = no pistes to the valley
Ab: from
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, Laughing

Just nuke the whole of Scotland, you'd be bound to get him then, and no-one else would notice so you'd probably get away with it wink .

kerekip, excellent list - thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went skiing at Wagrain today. Only a few lifts open that all surround the same area... I'd say there was more than 3km of piste available though. It was good fun and icy but got a bit coca-colary on some parts.

My advice re Zell is to thank God that you are buying a Ski-Amade pass! Then hire a car and get out to Kaprun, Wagrain, Flachau, and Zauchensee. If you really need to then Obertauern has loads open (on its own pass) but is about an hours drive from Zell.

I live in Radstadt so am right in the middle of Ski-Amade. I can also get to the Reiteralm in Pichl, Dachstein Glacier and Schladming all easily within 30min! There is snow here but you must be willing to explore and drive to the lifts rather than just going up and cutting accross the mountains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, My German is not great, but I think it means a footpath or a foot traveller. (Not encouraging!)

I'd settle for white snow too, but if pink is all that is available.......

snowHead
snow conditions
Yippy its dumping it bigtime today in Ischgl and St Anton
snow report
The snow has started to fall in Saalbach. Continued dumps expected for at least the next 48 hours.
Very Happy
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, I have a good news for you. Schmittenhöhe (Zell am See) opens Sunday, December 10.
They received 10 cm fresh snow on the top yesterday.
A limited start with 4 lifts (Schmittenhöhebahn, Breitackbahn, Kapellenbahn, Hahnkopflift) in operation.

Snow avoided the glacier area, only 1 cm fresh snow. Nothing has changed here.
ski holidays
kerekip, love you Very Happy
latest report
On friday
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Ray Zorro, love you

and now only 24 hours later

Peter Leuzzi wrote:

Pah, I feel abandoned Sad
snow report
The weekend has just taken a turn for the better. Pension Enzian, do you have a bar at your place? I feel a need to buy you a beer! Arriving in Saalbach on the 23rd.

snowHead
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
On friday
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Ray Zorro, love you

and now only 24 hours later

Peter Leuzzi wrote:

Pah, I feel abandoned Sad

OK, wait another 24 hours Very Happy
latest report
The latest from Ischgl:

The condition here is getting better gradually. It reflects in the ticket prices.
You skied free of charge at the beginning, this week you needed to pay the child fee.
Yesterday's snow must have improved the pistes because now Ischgl charges normal pre-season prices.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, kerekip, so call me a tart Very Happy
ski holidays
Saalbach reported 10 cm fresh snow. The pistes near the upper Zwölferkogel lift in Hinterglemm open from Sunday.
A few skiers can be seen on the webcams.

snow report
80km open in ischgl
snow conditions
Hintertux website is claiming 80cm of fresh overnight (130cm total). Webcams would appear to back this up.

Anybody on the ground there, or in nearby Mayrhofen? There appears to be qute a lot of snow in Mayrhofen as well, but only about 4km of slopes open. Cams suggest decent coverage on Penken down to 1800m or so.

Will be out there next week, and trying to select the venue. Soelden/Obegurgl and Iscghl also under consideration.

Would really appreciate any on the spot data points if any snowheads are out there.
snow report
kamikaze, slikedges is in Hintertux right now (long weekend), I am sure he will post a full report on his return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, Thanks. Much appreciated. I think Hintertux is going tobe are preferred destination. We're trying though to work to work out best place to stay. You've been there before havent you. Hintertux itself appears to be about 10 buildings. So we were lookng at one of the larger villages (e.g. Vorlandersbach) or evey Mayrhofen (especially if Penken is starting top open).

Based upon your knowledge, where would you recommend staying?
ski holidays
Oooh, tough one.

I've only ever stayed in the resort itself. there isn't much, as you say, a few hotels and bars and a couple of ski shops and a couple of other shops. Because I've only ever been with the family, my criteria was probably different to yours (they wanted a hotel with a pool and didn't care about much else Confused ). I have also only been there out of the main season - August, November and May, and most of the towns that we drove through were quiet, so I don't think i can add much as it will all look and feel very different now with more snow and more people around.

It is a narrow road in parts, so if you are based in Mayrhofen and ski in Hintertux it would be at least a 25min drive each way. There is limited parking, so depending on how busy it is, you may need to set out quite early each day. The website is showing 53km at Hintertux, which must be just about all of it Confused

In terms of the apres, there were a couple of bars up on the mountain which would be good for apres straight after skiing. There is also enough to make the village itself OK for a short break.

If you do stay in Hintertux itself, I would think that the best place would be the Rinderof as that is right by the bottom gondola.

Sorry, don't think I've helped much there. It might be worth starting a new thread with that question and attract a wider audience.
latest report
Thing seem to improve in Soll as well, last night some fresh snow snowHead , I'll be there from the 5th of January can't wait.
latest report
mr.nice.guy, http://www.feratel.com/ then Austria / Tyrol / Soll. Looking good
snow report
kamikaze,

Just returned today after doing 3 days on the glacier in Solden. Yesterday it dumped about 3 feet at altitude and we had to clear about 6 inches off the car in the village this morning. We only went there because St Anton was shut, but I have to say it was a brilliant weekend. Skiing was great up top, loads of powder down the side of the pistes, (they are opening more today) and its a cracking lively village. Didnt look like any signs of the snow stopping either.
ski holidays
SteveKirby, That's interesting, I've heard reports of lots of snow in Obergurgl and Solden, but the websites don't seem to reflect it (yet). The official site (Soelden.com) is showing 59/149km slopes open with a total 80cm snow-depth at 3,249m (this is only about 30cm more than it said a few days ago).

Metcheck (and other GFS based forecasts) are all showing a big rise in freezing levels into next week. With it rising from 1600m Wed up to 3200 on till Friday nigher before dropping again.
snow conditions
kamikaze, This is a good summary of the past 3 days in the Austrian Alps.
Here is the link: http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/lawine/messstationen/Messdaten_LWDTirol_2.gif
You find Solden, Obergurgl and Stubai in Region 6.

The week-end winter in Austria seems to be temporary. Temperature goes up again.
It was just a 'cold intermezzo' as described in the local papers.
snow conditions
guys, I'm trying to get an up date for Planai (austria) Do we know how it is looking please?
snow conditions
kamikaze, cleared about 50cm off the top of my hire car last night about 2330 'cos I was told the snow would peter out overnight. Cleared another 25cm off this am at 0800!. This is down at bottom of 1st gondola at hintertux itself - about 1500m. Snowed Wed pm probably 30cm at top. Started snowing again on Thu pm but this time, much more heavily and down to resort. Hadn't stopped by the time I dug myself out and drove down at 0830 this am! Huge amounts of snow. Even yesterday it was already unpacked powder on all runs (the bottom ones weren't open, but I can't think they wouldn't've opened them today!). snowHead
snow report
slippy, Only four pistes open in Planai served by 4 lifts. It means only 3 km piste. They have mostly artificial snow.
They have an excellent system of snow cannons, so it would take two or three days of cold weather to cover all the pistes.

Temps go below zero tomorrow, but then it is mild again. On their web site +10 and +12 (!!!) are predicted for this Thursday and Friday.
So, it does not look too good for the week-end.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, so you get the love, I get the wrath Evil or Very Mad

Your card is marked, ya soft southern Jessie Twisted Evil wink Laughing
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, quick - go and give brian a hug, he's upset and clearly holding me to blame Laughing .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy