Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my boots too small for me? Or is my technique wrong!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I have a difficult question for you (well, maybe not so difficult if the reply is just yes or no!) for my second thread here Smile

I have a pair of Rossignol Freeride boots that were selected for me some time ago in a ski shop by a boot fitter.

When I put the boots on, they are tight and I have to work hard. My feet ache in them for the first, say, 15 mins skiing, but once they have warmed up I am fine in them (stands to reason I guess, cold=contracted plastic, warm=flexible plastic).

They are fantastic, being so tight to my feet the transfer of movement is precise and firm. I should note at this point that the boots were heat molded (the inners anyway) to my feet.

The problem comes when I jump. I'm not a good jumper yet so only a foot or two height. I've started trying a few little ones, but when I do, my feet ram into the front of my boots and it hurts (if I haven't cut my toenails, they go black and fall off! too much detail? lol).

I guess my question is more: are my boots too small for me, or is my jumping technique incorrect! wink

I'd appreciate any advice and opinions!

Cheers,

Mark.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dude, if ya feet are fine when you are skiing then you should have no problems jumping (landing). Need a little more info regarding what type of jumps you are doing, landing area etc. However if it is just gennerally having a hoot and jumping coz ya feel like it - you maybe landing on your tails of your ski which acts as a piviot slamming your feet down and forward quickly - thus sliding your foot forward. It your boot isn't done up or just big this makes things worse. Or you could be a real crap jumper Skullie
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mtudor, hate to break it to you, but if you are comfortable in your boots a lot of the time, then it's your technique.

If you are going to a resort with a good bootfitter, then maybe get them to take a look, but I strongly suspect that working on the technique will help get rid of the problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yup - sounds like you're getting in the backseat on landing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditto.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yup backseat. when in the air, look ahead, not down, to spot your landing. That should help you get your weight forward a bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, Please ask admin to make a sausage on the end of a fork crash across the screen when you post! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mtudor, My boots (IMHO - SZK would probably say different wink ) fit me perfectly ! The fit sounds like yours. If I do anything (repeatedly) that get's me in the back seat (short swings with undone boots spring to mind rolling eyes ), then my toes take a hammering. snowHead

If I manage to get myself out of the backseat, which I succeed in doing rarely, then the pain goes away snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski, Sounds like the perfect fit! We call it the "Free Ski Instructor", if you ski in the back seat a voice tells you because it hurts!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When walking in my (new) boots my toes are cramped. When in a good position the foot is forced backwards by the boot and hey presto..........LOADSA ROOM.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Floppy the Snotman, I found mine tight when walking and queueing at the PSB but they were fine when moving, I'm Ok with them being like that, if I know there'll be a lot of walking or hanging around I'll just take my trainers along in the rucksack.
I did bash my right big toe with a slapped-down backseat landing, I've got a nice black toenail to prove it too!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given the incline of most ski boots, between the coller angle and back of heal there is a difference, of on average, around 3cmm. Therefore to NOT hit your toes on this type of landing, your ski boots will need to be at least 3 sizes too big to advoid this kind of injury.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps ..... collasping arch through lack of footbed pushing toes forward on landing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, YEESSSSSSS
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tailskidder, WELCOME to SnowHeads. !!!!
snow conditions
Hi guys,

Thank you all for your replies - it's a comfort to know that I did go for the right boots.

To everyone who criticised my technique: Don't stress people! No need to sugar coat it Happy I've been skiing for about 13 years now but until very recently I've not really done much serious jumping. When I do little jumps, I'm fine, but when I'm trying something a bit bigger I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea of the technique I should be following! Landing on my tails sounds very possible. Look out for my upcoming "Tips on Jumping Technique" thread for more on this wink

I actually have a footbed in my boots, so the collapsing arch theory should be taken care of assuming the footbeds are doing their job.

When I'm short-swinging, racing, aggressive skiing etc my boots are fine. Tight and firm, but not painful. It literally is this toe bashing thing when jumping that's getting me (and causing me to lose my toenails!

SmallZooKeeper makes an interesting point about the boots needing to be three sizes too big to avoid this kinda injury. That's reassuring too, to know that I wouldn't realistically be able to get a boot size that both fitted well and had enough room for my toes not to bash.

Floppy the Snotman and Fenland Skier - My experience with my boots is similar, plenty of room when skiing, cramped when walking. Thanks for the comparable experiences to comfort me that my boots are ok.

Looks like I should work on my jumping technique!

Thanks guys!

Mark.
latest report
mtudor, first, your boots should be warm when you put them on, not cold! Carry them inside the car or leave them near the heater (not on it!) in the room. Repeat: they should be warm when you put them on!

Second, DB is right on if you don't have a footbed. The other suggestions about landing also likely apply. It's too tempting to lever the back of the boots on jumps, but you want to jump and land just as if you have no skis to use for balance.

To give you a hint, there is about 5mm behind my heel when I put my foot into my boots without the liners in them! While not everyone would like that kind of a fit, it's workable, and my foot actually moves less fore/aft than it would in a boot with more room. It's that movement that's messing with your toes on landing, and that's not always a result of fit.
snow report
ssh, thanks for the advice - I'm beginning to think that technique is my problem.

I will definitely take your advice about the warmth of my boots. I had a stark reminder at the snowdome yesterday - put them on and my feet felt like they were going to fall off! After 15 minutes though they were fine and no pain at all.

I kinda got the hint at that point!

Smile
ski holidays
mtudor, did my description of jumping and landing as if you don't have the skis to hold you up make sense? You should jump from the balls of your feet and land approximately there, as well. No cheating and using the skis to hold you up (either fore or aft).
snow report
Yes I think it did thanks SSH - I'll try and see what happens if I try that this year though I'm sure it's more difficult than it sounds Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy