Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

N504 to Chambery

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been done to death on previous threads and the general consensus is that this route (as recommended by ViaMichelin) is slower.

But, we have loads of time and wouldn't mind a slow trundle through picturesque country even if we were stuck behind a tractor all day.

What's it like to drive compared to the autoroute, if time wasn't an issue would you do it again.

Thanks

Jon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonathancarty, If your use to Devon roads it surely can't be worse Toofy Grin

Sorry, can't be more helpful as we always drive on the Peage route as far as pssible Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonathancarty, we've done it & it is very relaxing - nice places to stop for lunch, no queues at petrol stations etc. So yes, we would do it again, but we pick up a proper road (peage) somewhere near Dijon, I think. If it has just snowed, I would think twice about it though. Not sure how quickly those little back roads away from the main tourist drag get cleared
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's the N504 like at the moment?

Is it a good idea for 26th Jan? (to Chambery that is)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crosbie,

We did it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It certainly adds an extra 1-1.5 hrs onto your trip but the scenery is fantastic. Toll free aswell. Should be OK by 26th Jan looking at the forecast.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks jonathancarty, I came back this way last season. Strange to hear that it adds an hour or so - I guess time flies when you've great scenery to look at.

It sounds like there's no major roadworks/diversions, etc.

I usually go via Geneva and the White route, which is quite a hairy roller coaster in certain sections (especially in bad weather with everyone else wanting to do 90mph).

I'll aim for the 504, but perhaps divert via Lyon if in a hurry.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie wrote:
What's the N504 like at the moment?

Is it a good idea for 26th Jan? (to Chambery that is)

It suffers from black ice. I used to use it all the time when I lived near Chambery to do the leg over to Bourg en Bresse but would pick up the autoroute at Amberieu. I don't remember there being much in it compared to the motorway if you don't mind overtaking the many trucks on the 504. It is a bit better now the Chat tunnel is closed to HGV traffic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm, davidof, maybe I should go via N508 through Frangy?

Maybe more scenery via N504, but perhaps the N508 has got the edge on speed (on a Friday?)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, last month I tried going via Lake Annecy on the N508 (Frangy-Annecy-Ugine), but due to unforseen circumstances I had to go via Chambery, so back on the A41 motorway just before Annecy all the way to Albertville. The Frangy section was fine. A bit suburban and quite a few bends here and there, but unremarkable (and probably about the same duration as sticking to the motorway, e.g. 100miles at 80mph or 40 miles at 30mph).

So, this Friday I'm gong to have another go.

I expect to be in Annecy around 7am on Saturday morning (en route to Val d'Isere).

Can anyone with experience of Annecy at around that time give me a clue as to when traffic jams start forming?

Ta. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We left Annecy at 7.45am on Saturday of half term. Down the side of the lake and to Albertville and Tignes. No traffic at all and done in less than 2 hours.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Endoman,

That's good to know.

Others have told me it can be a nightmare, so I'm wondering when the nightmare begins...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drove Annecy to Moutiers and a few days later the return - went through Annecy itself (comign from Geneva) and drove along the lake to Ugine, then Albertville and on to Moutiers for the 3 V. Quite slow, particularly near Annecy. I came to the conclusion that if I do it again I will just stick on teh autoroute from Annecy to Chambery and up to Albertville that way. May be longer but I suspect quicker
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ann, that's interesting, but what time of day (and was it Saturday?) did you go via Annecy to Ugine?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ann, that's interesting, but what time of day (and was it Saturday?) did you go via Annecy to Ugine?

Got into Geneva at about 5 on Sunday pm - picked up hire car - got lost a bit coming out of airport - found it impossible to find the N201 thru Cruseilles (damm viamichelin) and found myself going on the autoroute via roche whateveritiscalled. Got to Annecy - decided to ditch viamichelin which advised sticking on autoroute via chambery and instead went thru Annecy itself (Albertville is very well signposted) and then down by lake to Ugine, then albertville. It was a bit stop/start going thru Annecy and down alongside the lake and I think next time I will stick on autoroute even though much longer. The traffic coming the other way from Ugine was backing up quite a lot - maybe people coming back after a weekend in the mountains? Geneve to Brides took me about 3 hours (altho I did have jsut a little Nissan micra). Via michelin said it should normally take 1 hr 52 mins.. On the way back stayed at Villages cheap and cheerful hotel on some industrial estate on the northern edge of Annecy (grotty but 38 euros for the 2 of us) and left at 6 to get to geneva airport. Decided to do the N201 this time but big mistake at that time of the morning with traffic all heading to Geneva!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy