Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roller holdall bags - end sections or split main section?

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this comes under equipment - if not I'm sure I will be 'shunted'!
Will be travelling by train and am looking at roller bags around 100litres: main choices I'm faced with are 1 main section - ruled that out - or a choice of end sections big enough for 1 ski boot each and a middle section for everything else , versus a bag that has a split middle section so boots can go in 1 side and rest of stuff in the other section. I don't have skis to worry about (so far...) but if anyone has either type and can recommend or otherwise I'd be really grateful for comments - they ain't cheap and I can't see benefit of one over the other - tho i'm sure there are! Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
End sections if packing a helmet- too bulky in the split main ones.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, Wow that was speedy! No helmet yet so hadn't factored that in - but that may well change. Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have bags where the boot bag zips on to the end of the main bag. The boot bag also has straps so it can be used as a backpack. Problem is, the zip went on one of the bags... Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the S&R 110ltr one with end pockets> Thses easily take 1 boot each plus gloves, hats etc. etc, Helmet & everything else in main body. I had plenty of room to pack for 10 days in Whistler last March, including taking reef sandals and trainers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have the split main section ones - a zip round the middle to give two sections, each with it's own 'lid'. Very handy, as access is good, and if you end up with wet or disgusting stuff you don't want next to something smart (not that I have anything smart) you can qurantine it. We put boots in boot bags, but you could get one in each end pocket (I think ours are the S&R, like davehk's).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Salomon bag which splits horizontally. The bottom section is internally waterproofed and is where you put your boots plus lots of room for socks and other squishy items.

The top section is just like a normal bag. The only thing that's bas about it is the colour. It's red, which reminds me or Arsen*l and I find that upsetting.

Bought last year in 47 Degrees - cheap as well. I think it was about 60 of your english earth squids.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zammo, Forgive my ignorance 47 degrees?? £60 sounds like a very good price - maybe you could respray with a less upsetting colour with the money you saved.

Think its down to space for a helmet versus accessibility of all your gear.

Prices seem to be pretty variable too - for very similar looking bags - poss due to wheel/plastic quality? My son's cheapo one from Argos has not stood up to bumps too well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late starter,
I got a 140 litre bag with 2 compartments seems very strong from Blacks for £ 60
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I travelled to ADH with my boots in the one main section of my roller holdall without any problem. I then came back with 2 pairs of boots in said main section due to buying a pair of better fitting boots halfway through the week. I made sure the boots were wrapped in a couple of carrier bags and that was sufficient to stop them damaging anything.

What I do have a problem with is the way that roller holdalls made in the last 4 years or so no longer have a decent flat base on which to place your carefully folded clothes (assuming you don't want to have to do any ironing during your holiday) due to the 2 tubes needed to house the telescopic handles that have become a marketing necessity. Luckily I found a roller holdall (at Primark ?) with the simple external handle that all roller holdalls had before they started making them with the telescopic ones. Argos have restarted selling one with a flat base for £10 but there are no posher ones on the market with a flat base.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.oggie.com/product.asp?p=12506

These ones are good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a Big Air one from skiwear4less, cost about £40 if I remember rightly. Boot pockets either end but a telescopic handle so no flat bottom for truffaut.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, Any idea how many litres ? Hard to tell how big from the pic. I need a new bag - mine came back from the EOSB sans wheels Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was it up on bricks Jerry?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
truffaut wrote:
What I do have a problem with is the way that roller holdalls made in the last 4 years or so no longer have a decent flat base on which to place your carefully folded clothes (assuming you don't want to have to do any ironing during your holiday)

You must go to some posh resorts.
ski holidays
truffaut wrote:
to place your carefully folded clothes (assuming you don't want to have to do any ironing during your holiday)

Roll the clothes, don't fold them - then you get no creases at all (and you can compress them down more).

Just take 4 or 5 shirts/fleeces or whateve, and roll them up from the bottom.

This technique is also useful for bringing bottles of wine back from Alsace every week... Wink
snow conditions
Jerry, between 4 of us (adults) we took three of these and a boot bag to the PSB, one of them had two ski jackets inside. Outdoor megastore says 105 litres.
latest report
The North Face Large Rolling Thunder bag is around 140 litres and seemingly bulletproof.

There's a large end section with a flat pocket for paperwork etc. and a large mesh pocket inside the main compartment flap. The wheels are like those on roller blades and can stand up to any abuse you or even your not-so-friendly baggage handler might want to dole out.

The only problem you'll have is trying to fill it without going over 32kg as it's HUUUGE

Snow & Rock sell 'em for £120 but they can be had cheaper elsewhere.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Careful, or the scouse fella will aim for me next time!
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Thanks. Ah right, has it got a telescopic handle then ? Didn't look like it on your link and didn't really want a handle.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, If that is the same as on Outdoor Megastore site looks like a great price - but doesn't look quite the same - maybe different stock - on putting the two pics up one is navy one is black Puzzled but I don't care about colour only size and robustness! So if you reckon the Oggie ones will survive crossing Paris by public transport a few times - and probably London too - will go for them - hadn't come across Oggie so far
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Jerry, OI!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

My mate has one of them Big Air bags James has, cracking bags for the money, plenty of room. There's one of their shops by Castleford if you wanna look at one Jerry. (Oh, I forgot : you don't do Castleford Wink )

EDIT: Jerry, that bag Helen Beaumont has recommended yer is the one I have (albeit it a different colour, but the same bag). Has plenty of room to fit my tent like clothing in Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy