Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do more Utah residents not ski ?

Poster: A snowHead
Ten per cent tithe to the Mormon church is one reason given. Remaining disposable income is insufficient to fund skiing. Not sure I believe that. They can get cheap season tickets after all and cheap gear in sales.

I agree about Alta being the best resort, but I thought Brighton was OK too.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4656897
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo, ssshhhh!
I believe they don't ski because Utah is uselss.
Who'd want to go there?
I mean, they don't groom half the runs - take "Catherine's Area" - do they ever groom it? NO - they can't be bothered. Then there's the drink laws - you can't get any alcohol in Utah at all.

I mean, do you need me to go on?

The place is hell on earth, that's why people don't ski there!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there...I'd never go back.
Unfriendly people, no snow at all, no alcohol, very crowded, tiny little appartments, like Foxy said...
Stick to Val D'Isere and the 3Vs.....99% of british skiers can't be wrong.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp didn't say it loud enough:

EVERYONE GO TO 3 VALLEYS AND VAL DESPAIR!!!

(I've never been to Utah but I'd like to and the principle applies to lots of places NehNeh )
latest report
 brian
brian
Latchigo, some of them do ....

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latchigo, ssshhhh!
I believe they don't ski because Utah is uselss.
Who'd want to go there?
I mean, they don't groom half the runs - take "Catherine's Area" - do they ever groom it? NO - they can't be bothered. Then there's the drink laws - you can't get any alcohol in Utah at all.

I mean, do you need me to go on?

The place is hell on earth, that's why people don't ski there!

This is known as the "negative La Ros effect", its a bit like "El Nino" but with lots more variables like property ownership, alcohol strength, religion thrown in.

Seriously though I'd have thought the answer is Mormonism. Basically in my experience Utah divides into outdoorsy types (usually imports) and natives. Hard to be getting 2 foot of fresh at Snowbird on a Sunday morning when you're at the temple or have got married at 17 and have 3 kids by the age of 20.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, Too cryptic. You have lost me. Are you saying Utah residents are fat pigs ?

As regards the other replies, I would have thought with all the snow around the place (and the fact the residents are there anyway and may not be interested in drink) skiing would be something to pass the time.

They could go to watch the Utah Jazz basketball team, but there did not seem to be many cinemas in Salt Lake City.

There was a rather interesting place called 'Hooters' in Midvale, right next to a Christian book shop. I did not investigate, as I was based downtown. However, I believe it is part of the chain offering lewd entertainment. Football fans may be aware of the franchise. It is one of the big attractions of away matchs in Nottingham.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, Don't get a favourite Finnish author and her all time classics, Moomins, into this debate. It has nothing, read well: NOTHING, to do with mormons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
demos, Ah the penny has dropped !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo wrote:
Ten per cent tithe to the Mormon church is one reason given. Remaining disposable income is insufficient to fund skiing. Not sure I believe that. They can get cheap season tickets after all and cheap gear in sales.

I agree about Alta being the best resort, but I thought Brighton was OK too.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4656897

Utah is a relatively poor State. It is in the bottom wealth quartile for the US. Its nominal GDP-per-capita is on a par with Alabama. A 10% tithe is not an inconsiderable sum. Skiing is not a cheap pastime.

Add in religious commitments (6 in 10 are Mormons), and you get a time-poor, cash-lite populace.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everyone is right, Utah is dreadful. Only a couple of feet of fresh powder in the first week of December, far too few people on the slopes, far too many tree skiing runs in bounds and... Powder Mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The moomins, morons are either on a mission (God bothering), in church or looking after their dozen kids and 3 wives so don't ski.

Plus Utah is one of the capitals of the inbred gun carrying hillbillies (Yoy can't get a drink at the university, but you can carry a concealed firearm). The place is like a US version of Royston Vasey (The league of gentlemen) they even wear special underwear.

So I would stick to France it is much more fun to be with the unwashed, cheese eating, sheep burning, surrender monkeys.

The place is terrible and I'll be skiing all weekend to help me cope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

to be with the unwashed, cheese eating, sheep burning, surrender monkeys.
I've followed the posting on this list for the past several years. This thread has been the most distorted and untrue I've read in that time. Shure the frogs have much better food. but American beer is better than French Wine. Mad
Quote:

I mean, they don't groom half the runs

If you ski, this is what you really want or do the posters on this tread only ski on groomed runs? If all the LDS went out to ski there wouldn't be enough room for the rest of us.
On a side note have any of you read UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No Booze? Seriously? Because if so I really need to write that down
latest report
Jean Claude Mogul, one of the worst things about Utah (and America in general) is that the people there take things some literally.

Utah...avoid!
snow report
I'd like to avoid Utah every season. It's my ambition to completely avoid it in 2 yrs time. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy