Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Zell am Zee?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We are two average skiiers and one who hasn't skiied in a few years and are flying to Salzburg on jan 16th. There is a holiday shuttle which can take us to both of the above resorts. I would like to know if one resort is better than the other for Reds/Blacks. The acommodation seems very reasonable in both resorts. How does the infrastructure differ, access/closeness to lifts, ski pass costs, etc.
We are all in our 30's, married with kids and not looking for a mad apres ski resort, just a good skiing option with some nice restaurants in the evening. Previous skiing experinces in Iscghl, St Johann in Tirol & Andorra.

All help appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied in Zell-am-See in February and enjoyed but the Austrian tour rep suggested that Saalbach was considerably better. I guess the main advantage of Zell-am-See is the promixity to the glacier at Kaprun. This doesn't have much marked skiing for experts but has a couple of cracking reds and seemingly quite a lot of off-piste possibilities (though I wasn't good enough too and there wasn't enough fresh powder for me to judge that accurately).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micksta, If it's reds and blacks you're looking for then of the two resorts, go for Saalbach. I also preferred the accessibility of the lifts from the centre of Saalbach, where as Zell is larger and you may have to get a bus to the lifts. You can walk to a lift from nearly all the hotels in Saalbach within a few minutes. There is also much more skiing in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang area - all lift linked.

Costs on the mountain are about the same from what I can remember. The lift pass may be a bit more for Saalbach but you get a larger ski area for your money.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
micksta, on a skiing basis I'd go for Saalbach too. No comparison with the Zell area (200km without taking a bus versus 60km, and a brilliant lift system). In fact Saalbach is the only resort I've ever been too that I'd recommend wholeheartedly to anyone (Hmm...actually maybe not absolute beginners but that doesn't apply to you). You will struggle to go wrong here. The biggest problem i've found with Saalbach is that once you've been there it's an utter pain in rse trying to find the same ingredients in another resort!

Having said that....hotels in Saalbach do seem to be quite a lot more expensive than in Zell. I've never DIY-ed either place but if you look in the tourop brochures you seem to be able to take your pick of 4* hotels in Zell for around £450 package mid jan whereas you'd be paying £700 for a 4* central Saalbach. You could extend the Zell area by bussing it to Kaprun, or even to Saalbach (I think there's an hourly bus to Vordeglemm with is a good access point to the Saalbach circuit). Something to bear in mind if you do opt for Saalbach and are finding trouble getting a good deal on accomodation.

Might be a good one to book late. 16th is real low season so there'll be plenty of beds and late deals.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This thread will tell you a little bit about Zell http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11074&highlight=
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hayls wrote:
micksta, Zell is larger and you may have to get a bus to the lifts. You can walk to a lift from nearly all the hotels in Saalbach within a few minutes. There is also much more skiing in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang area - all lift linked.

Costs on the mountain are about the same from what I can remember. The lift pass may be a bit more for Saalbach but you get a larger ski area for your money.

Did you get that the right way round. The city express (zeller) lift is 100 yards from post plas (the bus station)

Saalbach
Lifts in area: 54 (15 cableways, 16 chairs, 23 drags)
Lift pass: Area (Saalbach–Hinterglemm and Leogang) adult €163– 181 for 6 days
Lifts in area: 54 (15 cableways, 16 chairs, 23 drags)
Trails/pistes: Saalbach 200km

Where as Zell
Lift pass: Europa Sport Region (covers Abtenau, Kaprun, Leogang, Saalbach–Hinterglemm, Zell am See) adult €161–179 for 6 days.
Lifts in area: 57 (12 cableways, 15 chairs, 30 drags)
Trails/pistes: Zell am see 77km

Note the Europa Sport Region lift pass that covers all those areas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
would likewise recommend Saalbach - had 3 visits there & thoroughly enjoyed them all. There's a great mix of pistes & they're all well linked. Hinterglemm probably the quieter of the 2 & prices there perhaps slightly lower, though it is only a couple of km's up the road & linked by very regular ( & free) skibus
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski both - check out the Salzburger Super Ski Pass here
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saalbach again.........forgot to mention. For my last 2 visits I arranged own flights,transfers & accomodation ( cheaper for the single traveller , no stupid single supplements ! ) & found the saalbach tourist office www.saalbach.com to be really helpful. They will send out blurb with all the accomodation options, addresses etc as well as arrange hotel/ski pass packages. It is worth shopping around a little as I stayed 3* in hinterglemm last jan & found that the 4* three doors up ( complete with gym, spa etc etc ) was the same price !!.
lastly, my 3 trips were all in mid jan & there was superb snow each time..........enjoy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for all the top-notch advice - Saalbach it is then!!!!!!!
Can't wait..................
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Micksta, we too are married with children and have recently booked a ski weekend (January 18th) with two friends (who have also left their off spring with obliging grandparents) and are looking good skiing and delicious food. The 4* Hotel Interstar in Saalbach has been recomended as although it is not in the centre of Saalbach, it does have a piste running just behind it which links all the ski area. Probably as our "apres ski all night and ski all days" have gone this hotel sounds fine. Hope this helps if youre sad and permanently shattered like us!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy