Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Opening Delayed -- Lack of Snow Cover

Poster: A snowHead
It appears Val Thorens has delayed opening due to lack of snow cover.
Its original opening date, shown at ValThorens.com, was scheduled for Sat 18 Nov. It has now changed guidance to a vague 'end of Nov'...

Val-T cam
The ValTho webcam gives a depressing image. Lots of brown and patchy white. The 10-day forecast is indicating modest snowfalls and toasty temps.

Broadly the same story at Val d'Isere, which is slated to fire up on Sat 25 Nov.

Looks like another poor early start to the season for the Western Alps. Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hottest 14th Nov. on record in France today with warmer temperatures to come
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DOH! Here's hoping for lots of snow in Jan, especially, late Jan! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think I will hold of on buying my new ski's Looks like global warming is going to make skiing a dieing sport Laughing Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Nick,

It does seem a bit depressing doesn't? When I think back to the time I used to ski most weekends through October and November in places like Val Thorens, les Deux Alpes, even l'Alpe d'Huez. I even remember I skied during mid week in l'Alpe d'Huez in 1998 one mid-November as they had opened a lot of the domain and there was no-one there - not even people taking the cable car to the Pic du Lac Blanc. Sniff Sniff.

The winters seem to be getting later and later, since 2003 the skiing in the French Alps has been a bit marginal, certainly the high-Tarentaise has had very poor snow and often you are better to head lower - seems counter intuitive but the problem is often lack of precipitation at high altitudes.

Temperatures in France have been really really hot (apart from some brief spells now and again) since mid-March. The summer was hotter for longer than during the heatwave that supposedly killed 15-18,000 old people and it has been dry. It has hardly rained in our area for months.

I hope we are not going to have another 1989 when it didn't snow until February. Many French resorts went bust and were only kept afloat by state aid or by virtual nationalization in the form of the CdA. Anyway here is a good bit of reading to cheer you up:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Weather/The-Effects-Of-Global-Warming-On-Skiing

If you do buy your skis wait till there is a good base.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is not all bad. Scandinavia, Austria, Western US and Southwest Canada are having a great start to the season. Many resorts have opened ahead of schedule. Kaprun in Austria just received a couple feet of pow in the last few days. Whistler in Canada opened a week ahead of schedule. Parts of Colorado saw record snowfalls in Oct.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
It is not all bad. Scandinavia, Austria, Western US and Southwest Canada are having a great start to the season. Many resorts have opened ahead of schedule. Kaprun in Austria just received a couple feet of pow in the last few days. Whistler in Canada opened a week ahead of schedule. Parts of Colorado saw record snowfalls in Oct.

Yes they've had an excellent start to the season in Colorado and who knows we may get a big dump in France before the end of the month. At the moment it doesn't look cold enough for much snow before the 25th. Maybe a little bit above 2200-2500meters.

Anyway I've just got in from a long lunch sitting on a terrace overlooking the Alps, 22C in the shade at 2pm according to the mercury thermometer. So that's a record broken.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, thanks for the link, interesting reading.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember that back in the 1980's, Val Thorens opened each year for October half term. How times have changed...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i thought one of the biggest issues in the last couple of seasons was the wind too, literally stripped any fresh snow straight off the mountain

22degrees in November is madness rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got week off on 9/12 and web cams are v. depressing. Have been to avoriaz this week for last three years and managed to get a good dump of snow just before but this time planned val thorens...oh dear. Have looked at Solden in Austria because of glacier but also just read mention of Kaprun. Any rec's on Solden or Kaprun (?) would be great, just have to keep fingers crossed and go where it snows...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
THis sucks, going out to Mottaret on the 7th with new K2 Recons, if VT is delayed i am wondering what the deal will be with meribel and courcheval who aer supposed to open on the 9th.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Top of meribel looks shocking as well
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

There's a decent amount of snow falling in Scotland as well and people are hopeful to lift served skiing soon - a few bravehearts have scaled the Gorm on foot and skied already!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't say I'm particularly happy right now, were booked for Courchevel 1850 for the 23rd December and it looks as green as green can be on the webcam.

Metcheck said it was due 11cm last night but nothing!

Just hope the £4800 paid wasn't a waste.

Adam
ski holidays
adam_button, you only need a couple of days snow for a skiing holiday and december 23rd is more than a month away.
latest report
Quote:
Western US

Certainly CA isn't doing well, Mammoth has a couple of runs open on man made snow and not much else in the state. Kirkwood was going to open Saturday but bailed on Fri evening - If they had opened Chair 5 - well the Tosh at the Lecht would have been proud! Laughing

Heavenly has also put back their opening a few days, but there should be limited sport on East Peak where there's been a fair bit of snow making effort when temperatures allow.

As Roga points out it fairly dumped on Friday in Scotland, esp in the West. CairnGorm didn't do too badly - but with the funicular out of action this month and not enough snow for low level surface lifts it looks as if wind will scupper any chance of uplift for the next few days, but if the weather does whats forecast there could be action with the Ciste Tow and M1 Poma by the end of the week/next weekend. Glencoe have also slated next weekend for their opening - rare indeed for Glencoe to be on for first opening as it's terrain requires the most substantial base to get skiable esp higher up. Keep up the snowdances wherever your hoping to head! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy