Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stoeckli stormrider XL vs off road

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of years ago the STORMRIDER XL also had an 'OFF ROAD' MODEL any one know what the difference between the two skis was?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If JT's around he should be able to help...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hedley,

Never heard of a specific 'Off Road' model..although the Stormrider name applied to a few skis... ie, the Pit Light Stormrider, Stormrider DP etc etc.

The XL is about 75mm waisted and will float quite well in the right lenght so is not a bad off-roader itself. Its gets overlooked because Fatter skis are more popular.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley, ....I can second JT, 's comments on the XL. I used a pair for the best part of last season on 'all terrain' - superb.

Slight problems with 'breakable crust' in late April - but that's down to pilot error..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are very stiff and powerful, mind. Finished one season in love, started the next one in traction.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hedley, Are you refering to the Stormrider AT?

If so the differences are:

Stormrider XL is 116-75-102. Sandwich construction; Fibre glass-titanal-Wood with re-enforced titanal mid section.

Stormrider AT is 112-76-97. Sandwich construction; Fibre glass-titanal-synthetic with no re-enforcement.

Both skis have same base and top sheet. AT sould be around 50 quid cheaper.
I would sell the AT for touring and the XL for Killing enfants anywhere on the hill. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These sure look like ATs
snow conditions
 brian
brian
comprex, that's the 04/05 XL isn't it ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, I'm thinking older. And the "off road" silk screen about as descriptive as "extreme". Anyone remember when the AT was first introduced?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
offroad IS the 04/05 XL - there's a pair in my garage begging to be taken out

fabulous skis although I'm anout 12lbs lighter than this time last year and I reckon I'm going to have to work them HARD this season...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, yes those are the ones im talking about .seems to be the same spec /dimensions as the XL but with the OFFROAD decal ?
probably just a sales gimmick for that seasons model?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
hedley, Are you refering to the Stormrider AT?

If so the differences are:

Stormrider XL is 116-75-102. Sandwich construction; Fibre glass-titanal-Wood with re-enforced titanal mid section.

Stormrider AT is 112-76-97. Sandwich construction; Fibre glass-titanal-synthetic with no re-enforcement.

Both skis have same base and top sheet. AT sould be around 50 quid cheaper.
I would sell the AT for touring and the XL for Killing enfants anywhere on the hill. Toofy Grin

sold one pair of XL's
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW - the 04/05 XLs (the ones with "offroad" on them) are reputed to be slightly stiffer than the later ones - extra titanal sheet. That's slightly stiffer than pretty damn stiff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster, They haven't changed them, 2 titanal plates would delaminate at flex. Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SZK,

far be from me etc but you can see them from side on - the top one is shorter and only runs for 2/3 of the ski length, perhaps for the reason that you suggest. I actually remember readingabout the change on the Stckli web site

J
ski holidays
jedster, Sorry budy i meant the plate is still there, as it was before. A further one would cause problems. They may have changed the thickness, again because of delamination. Little Angel
ski holidays
are the XL's stiffer than some other skis ive demo'd eg volkl ac3/nordica nitrous etc.I thought they were pretty stiff but at 83kg and 1.85m seemed fine for me as long as you dont fall asleep on them!!!
ski holidays
hedley,

Can't help you that much because I haven't skied either AC3 or nitrous. I would have thought they probably are a little stiffer (SZK may know) due to the titanal. Last year I was 84kg (1m78) and had no problem bending my 174's, think I could have handled 184's but probably not as well. You should probably test 184 and see how you go

SZK,

ah see what you mean - in fact you said "reinforced titanal mid section" - sorry

J
snow report
hedley, Each of the 3 skis mentioned should ski pretty similarly, the component construction of each are almost identical. Both Volkl and Nordica have reputations for making lively skis that would match that of the Stormrider.
I'd look more at surface area and sidecut and decide from there, either way your going to get a ski that will certainly know if you've had a late night!
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks I appreciate the info.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy