Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cheap will Christmas get?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just discovered that I wont be working between Christmas and New Year so, despite being broke, the idea of a last minute ski holiday for Christmas is getting very appealing.

Looking at igluski I can get a B&B in Maryhofen departing on the 23rd of December from Glasgow for £289. Is it likely to get any cheaper if I hold off until nearer the time? Also, will there still be availability at the last minute? I'd sorta assumed Christmas would be busy and expensive but that doesn't seem to be the case judging by Igluski.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IanS, it's a difficult call.

At this stage you're probably best holding off until you know where the snow's falling as prices aren't likely to go up - until the snow falls. The downside is that if you wait too long then all the places will be gone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IanS, A lot will depend on when /if the snow arrives suspect that if big dumps before christmas things will sell out if it is looking patchy you might get a bargain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IanS, It's a hard one as PhilllipStanton has mentioned but at least with Mayrhofen you have the Hintertux Glacier to fall back on if local conditions are bad.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the input, I can't afford to book anything until December (to be honest, I can't afford to book anything at all but I'm not going to let that stop me Toofy Grin ) so I'll see how things look then.

It just surprised me when I saw that the Christmas week was so cheap and if things were going to get cheaper then I'd definitely be interested. I'd like to avoid spending Christmas day in a dump of a hotel with no snow however Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi IanS! I'm planning the same - v late deal and go out for Christmas as cheap as possible. Or, to be more correct, as extravagant as possible for as little money as reasonable...

Planning on Val d'Isere and not planning to book until mid December... then I can always change my mind on destination if there's no snow... I can't imagine you'll get much cheaper than £289 however late you leave it - but you do need snow!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The week leading up to and including Christmas is normally cheaper than the week following. And quieter too. We stayed in the hotel Mercure at Val D last year Dec 19th - 26th and the place was relatively quiet until about the 24th when everyone started to arrive. Had a great time and totally recommend it Very Happy (the resort, the hotel and the idea of being away skiing at Christmas) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, well, that's convinced me! Not that I take much convincing: Mercure / Val D / Christmas - what can possibly go wrong? snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiBod, If you stay at the Mercure, the Grand Marnier bard (about 10 steps round the corner) serves crepe's which you can cover with er, Grand Marnier from bottles the leave out on the bar. They also do all the different types of the liqueur and cost about 1.70 Euros a shot (which is about a third of the normal bar/hotel prices. The lifts are just staggering distance away too! Bliss! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiBod, ..Official......Murphy's law has been suspended........your Human Rights to snow are safe....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IanS, Last year here in ADH even after a massive dump, empty slopes and amazing conditions, one of the two Crystal hotels was closed as they hadn't managed to flog off early season breaks (16-23 Dec, or something like that). I know that during last season they were selling flights and accommodation for £99 which is crazy!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah@alpedhuez, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a deal like that.

Back to checking igluski every day I guess!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A brief word of warning. Last year I went away skiing on my own over christmas, after breaking up with my previous girlfriend. When I got to the chalet hotel, not only was I the only single person there, I was the only person without their family, which has never happened before. It turned out ok in the end, but I would definitely think twice before going away on my own at Christmas again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, i bet there where 50 odd blokes in that hotel thinking 'what a lucky barsteward!'
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.......hope the Chalet Hotel benefitted from close proximity of a Dry-Cleaning establishment ........ Toofy Grin
snow report
BernardC, those parka gags will just never die Toofy Grin

AxsMan, Grand Marnier&crepes&staggering&lifts at a snowball's throw ... Got to equal an excellent Christmas!

sarah@alpedhuez, £99!!! I stand corrected! I've done quite a few last minute deals, and never managed less than £250 per head... I'll be checking out Crystal too now...
snow report
Kramer, There were a couple of obvious 'single blokes' (breakfast time is a dead giveaway) at the Mercure last Christmas. They seemed to get on well with the group of 20 something girls that showed up midweek, some sort of girls bash I think. I take it you weren't amongst them? snowHead
latest report
AxsMan, unfortunately not. Laughing
latest report
Kramer,

You were obviously the only committed skier out there prepared to sacrifice family, relationships etc for it. Obviously your devotion paid off at the EOSB race so maybe there is a lesson there for others wink
ski holidays
IanS wrote:
I've just discovered that I wont be working between Christmas and New Year so, despite being broke, the idea of a last minute ski holiday for Christmas is getting very appealing.

Looking at igluski I can get a B&B in Maryhofen departing on the 23rd of December from Glasgow for £289. Is it likely to get any cheaper if I hold off until nearer the time? Also, will there still be availability at the last minute? I'd sorta assumed Christmas would be busy and expensive but that doesn't seem to be the case judging by Igluski.

I would say £289 B&B to Mayrhofen, from Glasgow, during peak Crimbo week, is a very good deal. I might still be tempted to wait a few weeks, though. There are always a few spare slots going to Val de somewhere-or-other. Me and the dolly managed to get a brochured £1k full-board chalet week in Courchevel 1850 for £250 each a few years back. Booked 24 hrs before departure. Monster deal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy