Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GFS ensembles in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks carled Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next five days aren't looking great.

MetO models show it getting very warm by Friday with 14 degrees in Geneva and 15 degrees in Berne Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
any ideas how long this one is hanging on for?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1st posting on this thread, Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge - let's hope the prediction of cooler weather 21ish comes about, I have a few weeks yet before i go to Wengen, Fingers crossed. What a c**p season so far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saved this image on imageshack as it's a classic example of the control run being a mild outlier. Look at all the ensemble runs, then look at the ensemble mean (thicker grey line) then look at the blue control-run! It's the mildest of all of them and scarcely supported at all.

This is why the charts can swing around so much. This run, on the charts, would NOT have looked good. The next run on the mean of these ensembles would look pretty spectacular.

It's also pretty rare to get such a good agreement between ensembles so far out and is promising, to say the least...

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carled, It may be getting cold but doesn't look like a great deal of snow; what do you think?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest, the snow is a little secondary. It's so unpredictable that as long as there are sings of precip, it can always surprise us and dump more than predicted anyway. The cold temps are needed to get snow cannons going and preserve what's there and what falls. The precipitaion is shown as bubbling along with a constant 10-20cm a day there and after a few days of that, I'll be happy with the accumulated fall. Remember, the graph shows mm of rain and this translates to lots more snow than rain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, would you mind giving me your thoughts on todays 00z run? I'm just a little concerned that the mild temperatures could ruin what looks like good precipitation (hopefully snow!). It's for Bansko, Bulgaria.

Please and thank you.

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_2342_ens.png
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carled wrote:
The precipitaion is shown as bubbling along with a constant 10-20cm a day there and after a few days of that, I'll be happy with the accumulated fall. Remember, the graph shows mm of rain and this translates to lots more snow than rain.

If the scale is mm, doesn't that translate (roughly) into cm of snow (ie 1:10)? That would imply 1-2cm snow per day wouldn't it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, only if you subscribe to the 1:10 way of thinking. I don't. I'm basing my estimations on previous falls and what the charts were showing then. I may be wrong. I'm guessing! Slightly-educated guessing, perhaps, but guessing none the less.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
laundryman, yes 1:10 is about right ... but the scale refers to 6 hour periods, so if the lump of precip lasts over the 24 hour period then it would be more like 8cm or whatever.

In my experience (and probably anyone else's who's followed snow-forecast Wink ) GFS is not very good at estimating precipitation amounts, certainly not at more than a couple of days out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, I guess that's nothing more than a very rough rule of thumb. Anyway, I hope you're right!! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In my experience (and probably anyone else's who's followed snow-forecast ) GFS is not very good at estimating precipitation amounts, certainly not at more than a couple of days out.

That's my experience, too, and for the past year or so, since I've been looking at snow-forecast, I have found they tend to underestimate the snowfall quantities, whilst being reasonably accurate in the short term about whether there will be some precipitation. The amount of precipitation is also more localised, especially in the mountains, than some other factors; most of us are familiar with two completely different weathers, on different side of even a modest mountain, especially in terms of cloud cover. If temps are coming down, that will be a big relief. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:
laundryman, yes 1:10 is about right ... but the scale refers to 6 hour periods, so if the lump of precip lasts over the 24 hour period then it would be more like 8cm or whatever.

Ah, I didn't appreciate that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's worth noting that the 1:10 rule can be a long way out and is very dependant on the type of snow. That said, I think that as some regions tend towards certain types of snow it will work well in some places if not in others. So if it's been good in the Alps then stick with it, but I *think* it doesn't work well in parts of the US & Canada.
snow conditions
skanky, and almost certainly not for whatever British Rail is called these days!
snow report
laundryman, lol. But tbf when I lived in the SE with both of the "major" snow events recently, I was the only one getting the train and not only did I get home less late than anyone else from work, on one occasion, despite living considerably further away than anyone else, I was the only one who got in the next morning.
ski holidays
how we looking?any change?
ski holidays
bumpety-bump (keep having to rummage through the posts to find this one with the useful chart links!)
snow report
I'm pretty happy with the way this chart is looking:

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_2342_ens.png
snow report
Hornster, Based on this report does it look like agoodish time to go on 26th Jan? as I am.
snow report
SP1R1T, I would say so, yes. I'm flying out on the 27th Jan and am confident that I will be skiing on a good layer of fresh snow. snowHead
snow report
keep this positive vibe going people........... Schladming on the 27th
snow conditions
I have just seen the forescast on avalanche-net.com for Chamonix 1050m. Tonight +5c, Wednesday night -24c - A 31c degree swing Shocked
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, er ... 29? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Evening of 26th Jan, I'm arriving at Longefoy (below Montalbert, Aime/La Plagne).

It's certainly looking good.

I guess conditions will be like the first heavy dump in November or sommat like that.

I remember going to Zermatt a few years ago and the sunny mountains being bare brown rock everywhere. You can imagine how great it was to have it dump down on the Monday, and enjoy skiing even down to street level. I guess Morzine and other PDS villages may be so transformed in the middle of next week sometime.
snow conditions
crosbie, Really do hope so Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, er ... 29? wink
I thought I was allowed 10% leeway officer wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, 29.......31....... who cares as long as it drops by one of the two Laughing ready for this precipitation that appears to be in the forecasts
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess Morzine and other PDS villages may be so transformed in the middle of next week sometime.

Fingers crossed. They, like us and everywhere else below 2500m has been deluged with rain for the last 24 hours. I am maybe paranoid but why can I get nothing from snow-forecast since 6pm last night. Is their computer programmed not to give us news if it's too bad? We went to the Belleville side of Les Contamines with a view to a day's skiing but a couple of pisteurs in the bar at the bottom told us it had poured with rain all night up to 2500m and the visibility was very poor, so we didn't bother. The disconsolate man in the empty ski hire shop pulled a very Gallic face and said he was expecting only "un peu" de la neige next week. Let's hope he's wrong. Very wrong. Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
A 31c degree swing Shocked

For large values of 5 wink
ski holidays
pam w, I've also been wondering why Snow Forecast has not been updated, should have had 2 updates by now. I keep refreshing the browser every few minutes Evil or Very Mad but nothing! Let's hope it's good news. snowHead
ski holidays
Well, Scooter, MetCheck http://www.metcheck.com is descending to freezing at sea level - which sounds like fun.

Perhaps SF has ground to a halt under the strain of skiers about to fly out tomorrow?
latest report
crosbie, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Meteoblue has an encouraging forecast although, like snow-forecast and Metcheck it's still based on GFS I think
http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/
ski holidays
 brian
brian
frostynutz, no meteoblue are running NMM which is a shorter range, higher resolution model than the GFS. It's also a product of the US govt.'s NOAA though.
latest report
that's interesting - i don't suppose "higher resolution" is anything like "higher accuracy" is it? Smile

It's kind of curious that it's predicting a lot of snow even before the predicted major snow event mid next week... obviously I hope it's right. snowHead
ski holidays
Snow-forecast has now updated itself and looks depressing, far less precipitation forecast. I would be less bothered about that (as they never get quantities right) if locals, e.g. ski hire shop proprietor, were not making faces about the "peu" de precipitation expected. They are not cheerful locally. If it had got cold without this terrible rain they could have started blowing snow, and keeping the existing snow in decent nick for a bit longer. As it is, there will be very little skiing available below 2500m without a really good dump. Val Thorens here we come.
ski holidays
pam w, I 've just taken a peek and it's now forecasting cryogenic temperatures -16 at 1250m on Wednesday.

Maybe SF stopped updating earlier because various figures went off the scale? Puzzled

Let's see how cold things truly are on Sunday morning - to see if things really are going to get colder...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy