Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I may have struck lucky and got a work trip to the USA. The trip is likely to be in abuout two weeks time and I'm hoping to tack a ski weekend on the back end of it.
The bad news is the destination is Baltimore-Maryland which doesn't appear to have any local ski options so looks like I'll be flying somewhere. The question is where to go.

I know virtually nothing about skiing in the USA so any advice gratefully received.
I'm looking for a resort within easy striking distance of a major airport, a cheap airline to get me there and reasonably priced accomodation

A friend suggested heading to Denver, is this my best option? and which resort?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich, You could try Denver or Salt Lake City (9 resorts within ~1 hours drive) they will be about the same flight time. Delta have a hub at Salt Lake, but I would also look at Southwest. The price I would estimate to be around $300, but this depends on when you book, travel etc. Combine this with the price of a hotel, car hire, ski passes etc you'll be paying about $600. However, it might be cheaper and easier to ski in Vermont, New England.
Good luck
David
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get to Denver and you'll have loads of options. Think you can get to the nearest one (Winter Park ?) by train. Salt Lake City will also give you lots of options. WTFH is very good on the resorts near these two. Sure he'll be along soon.

If you're good then Jackson Hole is one of those places everyone should try once.

Reasonably priced accommodation is easy to find pretty much anywhere (circa 40 dollars for a two bed room) unless it's absolute peak season and you want ski in/ski out. One thing though, ski in/ski out is pretty rare and you quite often need transport of your own or to take the resort coach. Ski areas are also smaller than Europe but the snow is better (in my experience).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich, These are a local easy drive from Baltimore but you'll be lucky to get any snow yet.

http://www.skiliberty.com/
http://www.skiwhitetail.com/
http://www.skiroundtop.com/
http://www.bryceresort.com/
http://www.massresort.com/
http://www.wintergreenresort.com/index.cfm

You'll probably need to go North and or West this early for snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the input.

davidb, does Vermont get early snow, just checked a couple of sites and nothing open yet.

Nickski, Jackson sound very appealing but that might be my ego at work, my skiing might not be able to live up to it.

Barring huge dumps of snow in the East, looks like I'll be heading to Colorado.

Off to surf for prices,

cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
this might help you a bit to find snowcover and conditions

http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/ski/?from=secondarynav
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Right now, the Northeast has VERY little snow. Hopefully, that'll change soon. I agree that either Denver or SLC are your best bets in 2 weeks. Quite a few places near Denver are or will be open and they've been getting good early season snow (Winter Park is the closest to Denver, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, and Copper are reasonable. The areas near SLC seem to be opening and they too seem to be getting some snow. The advantage of the SLC areas is that they are within about 45 minutes of the airport, but, as of right now, Colorado seems to have the better snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A-Basin and Loveland in Colordo have been open for about a month - and other areas in Colorado are now open, Copper is, for one.

California hasn't got much snow yet - we're due to open this coming weekend, but that can easily change.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich, Vermont does get some early snow - and within the next month, most of the resorts will be pretty near fully open.

RISkier has given a good list near Denver.
Here's the main ones neas SLC: (in order of distance)
Solitude 20mins
Brighton 25mins
Snowbird 30mins
Alta 35 mins
Canyons 45mins
Park City 45mins
Deer Valley 50mins
Snowbasin 1hour
Sundance 1hour 30?

Wyoming: (from Jackson Airport)
Jackson Hole 10 minutes
Grand Targhee 30 minutes

Montana:
Bridger Bowl ??
Big Sky 45 mins from Boseman
Moonlight Basin 45 mins from Boseman

So, there's a few suggestions!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again everyone for some great information

This trips been on and off a few times today, at one point we'd found somone local to go look at our equipment Sad but decided on reflection it would be too much for him to go in blind so looks like muggins is on for the trip again Very Happy
Its now looking pretty certain its going to happen and it will be before mid December.

Denver still looks prime candidate, been having a scan around for flights and Denver is significantly cheaper than SLC and flights are direct from Baltimore.

I won't be able to book anything until I get over there as unfortunately it is a work trip and getting away at the weekend depends on how things go. But it does mean I can do a late change of plan if Vermont comes good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rich, You should be good for Vermont, if the temperatures get down then they make snow by the ton. I have had a number of work trips to Southern Vermont and never been disappointed. Check the Stratton, Bromley, Okemo web sites for conditions in the south of the state. The 'known' resorts like Killington and Stowe will also be up and running as close to Thanksgiving Day as is possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rich,

Check plane fairs when you get here. Also check Southwest airlines which flies from the Baltimore/Washington airport and should have direct flights to both SLC and Denver. From the east coast, I usually find that airfares are only a little higher to SLC than to Denver. Flights to Denver will be a little shorter. Travel from the SLC airport to the ski areas is definately quicker and more convenient than travel from the Denver airport to the ski areas. Either should have good skiing and both UT and CO seem to be getting pretty substantial snow (either currently or in the past day or so). So, for early season, conditions there look pretty good. I'd love to say go to Vermont. Indeed, my wife and would like to go to Vermont and ski over Thanksgiving weekend, and we'd gladly buy you a pint. But we've been having very mild weather of late. We've had rain the last few days, and it looks like another system coming through Thursday/Friday. Best weather guesses right now are that snowmaking temps will return Friday night or Saturday. But, as of right now, I don't think anything is open in Vermont. Places will likely get a little terrain open by Thanksgiving weekend, but, unless we have a significant snowfall that doesn't seem to be showing up in any predicitions right now, terrain will be limited and conditions will be man made. CO or UT are much better bets. Would you take my wife and I along? Please, please, please! As an aside, if my wife isn't able to ski pretty soon, I fear bad things will happen.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would give the East Coast a miss. Killy and Stowe, the main early resorts, are both closed. It has been a terrible start. This season will be the latest opening EVER for Killington. There is little snow in the 10-day forecast. Likely only a handful of runs will be open on manmade before Thanksgiving.

Head out West. Any of the major stations within a couple hours of Denver will do for a weekend. Winter Park, A-Basin, Copper Mountain or Keystone are good examples.

However, quite why you want to travel so far off-course, then spank £200 to £500 on a few hours' skiing over limited pistage in freezing Nov temperatures, is beyond me. I would save the cash. £300 will buy you a whole week to some parts of North America during Jan at the moment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right now, I-70 is closed from Georgetown to Vail due to blowing snow. Forecasts are for 10"-20". This is our best early-season snow in a very long time. No guarantee that it will continue, of course, but it's tremendous for this date.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh, that was yesterday....there is more on the way today in winter park for our opening day.

http://www.snowforecast.com/coloradofcst/winterpark.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy