Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden from Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and three friends are going to try and do a weeks skiing on the cheap in Jan. due to the arrival of our new babies in the house. We are all okay-ish skiiers. we were in iscghl last year (brilliant) & St Johann in Tirol year before (not bad).
We can get cheap flights with Ryanair to Salzburg from Dublin but the flight gets in at 21:30 when the trains seemed to have finished. I would like some advice please. Can we get to Solden from here on the train? Budget accommodation also seems do-able - Anyone stayed at hostels, B&B's??
Or can you recommend other resorts that would be comparable with great ski runs that we found in Iscghl?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To get to Soelden you need to get a train from Salzburg to Oetz (pretty sure you don't need to change as its also the train that takes you to Switzerland). From there it is either a taxi or a bus. If memory serves me correctly this was about €5 each one way and took about 30-40mins. When I've stayed there its been in apartments which have generally been reasonable and fairly close to the lifts. www.soelden.com has a pretty easy to use booking tool.

if not soelden you could consider Nuestift/Stubai glacier or Maryhofen/Tux/Hintertux glacier - this is closer to Salzburg than Soelden.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This site will give you bus and train times in english http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/
Its a fairly long trip as Solden is near Innsbruck
Not sure how you get round the fact you are getting into Salzburg fairly late other than stopping the night there
You might want to consider some resorts closer to Salburg

ps Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
micksta, Welcome to "Snowheads". I really think that Soelden is rather a long way from Salzburg for weeks ski-ing on the cheap.

I see that that you have been near the Ski Welt area (Soll, Ellmau, and Scheffau). There should be plenty of welcoming pensions which you can find from the Ski Welt web site.

However I would like to suggest Saalbach and Hinterglemm where there is a great range of ski-ing, similar to that offered by Ischgl, but a totally different landscape. Have a look at topic http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19393&highlight=

There has been a contribution here from Pension Enzian which is run by Brits which could fit the bill. Have a look at http://www.pensionenzian.com/index.asp There is an e-mail address etc.

If you think Saalbach is OK I know that it is only about 45 mins from the airport by coach. As for public transport I have no details but if you ask here I am sure other Snowheads will oblige with information.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Appreciate the advice - a wealth of knowledge is this site!!!!!
The ryanair arrival time at 21:30 is a bit of a hassle despite the cheapness of the flight. Could work out not so cheap though if we can't get bus/trains away to resorts at that time. Plus the extra charges with ski equipment per kilo with ryanair it could add on extra €€€€€€€'s - I might just go ahead and book with aerlingus to munich, bit more expensive but travel times are great, arrive in Munich at 10:45
Could be the way to go..........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
micksta, for ease of travel you could consider Obertauern. On their website they advertise a shuttle between Salzburg and the village at €39.50 return and say that waiting time at Salzburg is max one hour, so presumably they would do the later flights. I've not been there yet, but am going this season.

I note that there are a number of hostels in the resort http://www.obertauern.com/ Because of the size and shape of the ski area, much of the accommodation there is ski in/ski out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sölden hasn't seen much snow and places like Obertauern have more at the moment. Having said that the snow gods are teasing us again by letting the snow fall and then upping the temps so it melts away. Hard to say where will be best but if enough snow falls around Salzburg there's no point travelling all the way to Sölden.

Ski Amade is massive and has plenty of red runs to suit you.
Zell am See is good when snow is plenty and if snow isn't good the glacier at Kaprun (with much more snow than Sölden) is nearby.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy