Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you thinking of renting a car on your snow holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this doesn't put your off, found on snow holiday website.

Renting a car

When assessing the viability of a hire car as an alternative, it is important to take into account fuel costs, motorway tolls and the cost of snow chains, which are required by law.

Do you know how to put the chains on? Do you really want to have this problem when it is dumping down with snow? If you do, make sure you have an old jacket and a pair of gardening gloves as with all the slush and salt about it is a cold and filthy job. Make sure the car you hire is big enough to get all your luggage in. Is there parking at your accommodation? Who is going to dig the car out on your day of departure if there has been a big snow fall? What if it doesn't start? And lastly how much is it going to cost you if you get a knock on the bodywork? Remember this is winter in the mountains, there is often snow and ice on the roads.

If you do decide that a hire car is a viable option please make sure you know the way to the resort and if you do not speak the language of the country you are in at least carry a phrase book. This may be an option, but only if you intend to use the car during your stay. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But don't forget, they are much better at clearing snow and ice from the roads than the UK are.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amazing list of negatives. I assume the snow holiday site has failed to gain any Hire car advertising Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, basically it boils down to carry chains and know how to fit them. All the rest is common sense and knocks are covered by insurance. Sounds like a holiday website thats runniing out of ideas for 'advice' to me Very Happy I was particularly impressed by "If you do decide that a hire car is a viable option please make sure you know the way to the resort " Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friend of mine hired some sort of Punto car at the airport and drove to the resort. while there he spent four hundred on a snowboard, that subsuquently would not fit in the hired car. the aformentioned board was then sold for a €50 in a bar that same evening.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross,

I guess statements like that are a great way of advertising transfer with holiday companies

Here are the advantages:

1 If there are at least 2 of you a rental car will nearly always be a cheaper way of getting to resort

2 You will save several hours of transfer time

3 Hire cars make great ski and board storage lockers at the lift car park

4 If the snow is not great you can go somewhere else

5 I have used rental cars for 4 years now and never had to put on snow chains

6 Only once has my car been snowed in - but as above it was only being used as a ski locker at the time so it was no big deal and the snow was cleared within 2 hours by the local council

7 Rental cars always seem to hold more people and stuff than real cars - My record is 3 sets of skiis, a snowboard and 4 people
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have rented cars in the past, but this year is a mix of private transfers and train journeys. Much better, means you can get on the drink as soon as you clear Passport Control Little Angel wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EDIT: Whoops!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Friend of mine hired some sort of Punto car at the airport and drove to the resort. while there he spent four hundred on a snowboard, that subsuquently would not fit in the hired car. the aformentioned board was then sold for a €50 in a bar that same evening.

the list of warnings on the website was obviously too short for some people....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only worry I'd have is ice on the road, wouldn't fancy driving in that as not familiar with those conditions especially on narrow mountain roads. Last year hired car once (Spain) and used train once (Austria), definitely cheaper to use train than hire car for Austria (three of us). Hired car in Spain (Girona) as no suitable public tranport to the resort and wanted to maximise time on snow, also car hire very cheap in Spain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross, I bet the company's transfers are great value for money! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Make sure you don't just dump the car and run for the flight - they often try to sting you for "damage". It is often a good idea to book a small car as they usually only have bigger ones available so have to upgrade you for free.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gordyjh, And take a few pix on your phone if necessary to prove the car was still car shaped when you returned it Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
killian wrote:

I'm surprised at that, last winter we ended up with a Fiat Panda (not what I'd booked), but we still managed to fit 2 of us into it with 2 snowboards, 2 pairs of boots & 2 large holdalls.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="ssnowman"]
killian wrote:

I'd have put it on the roof, seems like he had more money than sense. Little Angel
snow conditions
In Chamonix a couple of years ago, we ended up with a Renault Twingo. We still managed to fit in 4 of us (2 kids) and our skis. It was great not having to carry out skis anywhere except at the bottom of the lifts. We definately made the right choice hiring a car as there were always long queues at the bus stops. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

We have rented cars in the past, but this year is a mix of private transfers and train journeys. Much better, means you can get on the drink as soon as you clear Passport Control

Charlatanefc, are you getting the train to Zermatt ? Can you buy beer on the train or do we need to go to the supermarket at the end of the concourse (at Geneva) to stock up ?
latest report
masmith, Swiss trains are civilised, usually you will find even those with only trolly service will have beer, wine (both red and white) plus an assortment of hot and cold drinks available, where they do let you down sometimes is their choice of snacks
snow report
I wouldn't imagine that website quoted is trying to sell non-drive holidays now is it?
ski holidays
D G Orf, thanks.
snow report
masmith, we are indeed getting the train from Geneva. As DG Org says, they are a lot more civilised than our trains. The one we used via Zurich last year had a bar Wink
ski holidays
We use a inflatable roof rack with hire cars, some of the reps have been a bit surprised when we got this thing out of its bag, inflated it and attached to the car. Works really well.
ski holidays
carroz, sounds fascinating. Could one fill it with He and float over to the Alps? Do you have a link?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
richmond, I'd never heard of it either ....

http://www.handirackuk.com/
snow report
Now that's nifty!!
snow report
That looks good!
snow conditions
It works very well, better than the magnetic one we used to use as with snow on the roof the magnetic ones don't work very well. We always use ski bags for the skis as i am nervous about the sharp edges, even though the inflatable bits have thick walls.
snow report
Very smart. I loved the video.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, how do you attache skis and/or snowboards to the handirack ?
snow conditions
carroz, Those infaltable racks must be good for white-water rafting when the snow's melting!
latest report
will the base slide when on snow, maybe you could make sort sort of sledge out of them?
latest report
if worried about snow chains hire a car with winter tyres.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy