Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First snow in Morzine / PDS

Poster: A snowHead
We were at our apartment at the weekend and woke on Sunday morning to good smattering of snow at and above 1600m (it was 1400m, but the sun came out...).

Winter's here! Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, Woohoo! We go to St Jean D'Aulpes in early March. Getting excited! Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BRING THAT SNOW DOWN UPON THAT PISTE

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 16-11-06 23:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... on?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bh1 Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hot and sunny here today and not a sign of snow anywhere! Half the resort are in shorts and t-shirt. It was like this last year and then we were skiing 1m snow on the 26th Nov so we keep hoping this year will be the same!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the one the spot reporting snowandtrek.

The Avoriaz webcam is still showing snow at around 2000m, although it's probably best described as a "snow / rock" mixture rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
quick question though as appears you are 'on site', have had reports that even if snow in avoriaz early december then lifts etc may not be open. we are hoping to be somewhere on the 9th so any ideas if snow is there will lifts open if enough of it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thomo - welcome to snowHeads

I'm not "on site" yet - although I will be out for the season - and I'll be heading out to resort the same weekend as you're out.

Morzine, Avoriaz and Les Gets officially open on 16th December this year. Avoriaz may be open the weekend before if there is enough snow, but only (probably) for the weekend and only with a limited number of runs. Les Gets tends to be open earlier at weekends as well - usually based on snow making as the lower slopes are pasture and don't need much coverage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still nothing here yet but some snow if not much is forecast over the next couple of days. Raining at the mo ! boo hoo
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smiffo wrote:
Still nothing here yet but some snow if not much is forecast over the next couple of days. Raining at the mo ! boo hoo

Are you expecting snow in Hastings? Puzzled I must get me wellies out pronto!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, Had a hilarious weekend in Les Gets ?3? years aho aruond 5th Dec blatting up and down on the red bubble run. 20m of snow on a grassy base, as the Scottish snow line used to say...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch - was that 20m in length or width (or 20m in depth Shocked Shocked Shocked)?

Mild excitement has broken out in the Stanton household as we did a "repack" yesterday evening to sort out the stuff we've been piling up in a "we'll need that for the ski season" sort of way.

18 sleeps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whoop =s !! Embarassed

I mean Morzine !!

No snow in Hastings yet though looking out the window !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,

snow line forecast to fall to 1000m overnight. It has been peeing down here all day with the snowline just above Morzine village. Friends in Avoriaz tell me there has been 30-40cm today on top of a minimal base at 1800m. They were talking of opening Avoriaz for the weekend if there is enough snow.

Who knows?

zzz
latest report
Thanks for that zzz. Good news - although unfortunately it's set for heavy rain (25mm) on Saturday unless the freezing level drops. Fingers crossed.

Are you based in Morzine?
snow conditions
As long as there is plenty on the 25th Feb for the week I will be happy, but it would be good if plenty of snow fell on PDS again this year.
ski holidays
chrisb, there needs to be plenty for Jan 21st first of all. 60 sleeps to go (If my maths is right) before Les Gets attendance... and I've got withdrawal symptoms.
ski holidays
Snow in Morzine village this morning! Only a couple of cm's but the tops look like they got heaps more yesterday! Hoping for some skiing in the next week or so.........
snow report
was looking on a french forum last night and it was suggesting about 20-50cms at 2000m. Checking a few cams this morning its about that snowHead bring it on!
snow conditions
Thanks snowandtrek. The avoriaz webcam is looking good - well, what you can see...
snow report
PhillipStanton, so is the Morzine one, it's the fiirst time it's been white that I've seen it Very Happy Very Happy snowHead http://www.morzine.com/ete/fr/fonctionnalite/meteo.asp#webcam
ski holidays
Hi Swirly - I'd seen that, but had avoided commenting as it's about to go all green and grey again... rolling eyes
ski holidays
It is very very early still. I usually go in Jan, and have often seen grass on the webcams a week or so before I travel. The Morzine town webcam and the ones at the bottom of the Chavannes do not advertise the place well... they can be very pessimistic, showing the lowest snow depth in a very high wear+tear piece of slope. I fully expect to see the Chavannes depart webcam showing grass skiing for at least a week this side of Christmas, with a few dollops of snow cannon snow here and there.
This year I'll be comparing the new panorama cams from the top, showing Rosta, Perrieres, Chavannes etc.
ski holidays
I agree with you andy - the Morzine cam isn't the best advertisement for the resort. It's far too early to get excited. But I'm getting excited anyway... wink

The lower stuff is unlikely to last the next day or two though.

From the cams on www.snoweye.com it looks like the Chatel and Morgins side has caught even more snow than the Morzine / Avoriaz / Les Gets side.
latest report
Hi Phil,

That webcam has never been a great advert for the resort. It is early days but Morzine had a decidedly wintery feeling to it this morning, for the first time this winter. You are right about the rain forecast for the weekend, although I think it is below 1800m, at least some of the Avoriaz sking will receive some snow above that. I'll try and keep you posted.

zzz
snow report
andy, Hope there is plenty for you on 21st Jan. If there is the base will be good for Feb I hope
snow report
PhillipStanton, can't wait to do the PdS loop now.
Interestingly, Snowforecast/Snowguess has 2 Morgins, one saying it will be rainy, and the other chilly with a dusting of snow.
MetCheck is guessing more snow for LesGets/Morzine/Avoriaz for next Tuesday, but claims it will be 12 deg C in Morgins and Chatel.

I just wish they'd configure the webcams to take the last daily pic at 4pm. Every time I go to check them they are black Sad and I can't always access them from work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy - another 17 sleeps and I'll be with the "on the spot" reporting crew for the winter Happy
ski holidays
Went up to Avoriaz yesterday for some sledging with the kids and the pisteurs were out bashing the pistes. There was about 40cm of fresh stuff. They have marked the blue run to Lindarets and were 'test' running some of the lifts. Rumours are that Avoriaz will open sometime between this weekend and next Wednesday - will keep you posted! Forecast is for warm until the weekend then getting progressively colder. Best weather website is http://www.meteo-chamonix.org/ then look at previsions - it's all in French but is quite accurate. Also http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/ is really good with some great charts.

Getting excited now!!!
ski holidays
snowandtrek - thanks for the update. If you're excited, imagine what I am on the "eve" of my first season at the ripe old age of 39 rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Those links look great.

This link gives you the Chamonix website automagically translated into English. (The other site has an English version.)

The Meteo Blue web site has a very cool feature on there where you can make your own customised weather map by giving it a latitude / longitude square - register in the myMeteoBlue bit to get access.
latest report
Just to point you guys to this thread as well.
ski holidays
zzz, snowandtrek, PhillipStanton, Thanks for all the reports, expect more and more questions as it gets closer to 03/02.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy