Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long are your skis? No, REALLY...

Poster: A snowHead
So, following the bootfitting, SZK and I were discussing skis. Given that his shop has a lot of fatter skis, and ones with larger tips/tails, we ended up measuring some.
This started out after I checked the mounting marks on this year's Seths, and can confirm that the "Core Centre" is NOT the middle of the ski. SZK has suggested that the Core Centre mark could well be the flex centre of the ski, which will not necessarily be the middle. But that's another story...

Anyway, we measure a series of skis. Firstly measuring their actual length - by putting a tape measure straight between the tip and tail. Then we measure the running length. Definitions may vary as to what that is, but we took it by putting two skis base to base, and measuring the distance between the points where they touched. So, it is the unpressured length of the ski that would be in contact with the snow.

Divide one by the other and you have the ratio of running length to actual length.

Turns out that the K2 Seth has a value of 1.16. On a 179cm ski, only 153cm of it is the running length - 26cm is taken up by the tip/tail.
Now, if you think that's bad, then steer clear of the Nordica Hot Rod Afterburner. It isn't a particularly "twin" tipped ski, but it's ratio was 1.2. You buy a 177cm in it, and you only get 147cm!

With non-twins, the figure is down nearer 1.1.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, Very interesting. when I have time I'll have to check mine out. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

SZK has suggested that the Core Centre mark could well be the flex centre of the ski, which will not necessarily be the middle. But that's another story...

Or even the sidecut radius (imaginary) centre on some skis, but that's another story...
Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1.085 on my 166 Atomic SX9's - 153cm running length

Does it matter Puzzled

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aren't you bound to get some strange figures like that with skis made for soft snow? Esp if you're looking at skis with a lot of rocker or even a reverse camber. When you're in soft snow the whole base of the ski will be in contact with the snow
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I agree. We didn't have any pontoons, etc to try it on, but for more traditional designs, it can hold true. But it does help to explain why so many guys on twins are able to make good turns on piste - they are on very short skis!

Sage, nothing really matters, anyone can see. It was just something to think about.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
168 Volkl Allstars: They're actually only 166 long to begin with. Running length 146. Ratio 1.14
The allstars have a bit of a raised tail...

173 Salomon xfree7 (Hej i learned on them:P) 172 long, running length 156. Ratio 1.10, flat tails.

Some family member stuff:
163 Head C200, 162 long, 146 running length. Ratio 1.11. Slightly raised tail.
158 Atomic C5.2, 157 long, 137 running length. Ratio 1.15. also slightly raised tail.

Now there is some major differences in the fronts of those skis. The salomons have rather pointy tips, while the volks and head have a much more rounded, appearing shorter, tips.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sage, No that sounds spot, it's a piste ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hmmm... and if you had a ski with conventional sidecut but a lot of rocker, couldn't the running length as measured above be much shorter than the length of edge of the ski which is in contact with the snow when you're carving?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, Yes, however the part of the ski that gives it it's feeling, response remains the same.

I'm yet to fully understand the relavance of this Data.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I heard that the general rule of thumb was to add 10 cm to a desired length to get actual length when you're buying a twin tip. Is that an accurate rule of thumb?

Also, I find that my Metrons are fairly accurate for running length and my husband complains about the snow spray from the slightly turned up tail when hes behind me.snowHead
I guess he shouldn't be so slow. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm yet to fully understand the relavance of this Data.

There's a challenge - is this data of any relevance? I'm sure SZK and WTFH can come with a prize for the best answer Toofy Grin

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sage, Yes, it has to be of relevance as the data is consistant between ski types, ie Slalom, Freestyle, Big Mountain etc. What is exactly the relevance, i'll be asking my friends at Nordica.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Let us know as soon as you do - all very interesting. Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Too short. Sad Why doesn't anyone make real length skis anymore?
snow conditions
parlor, Our style of ski seem to have the lowest ratio. I guess it's down to whether you're looking for edge presure or surface area, or at least that's what i'm finding out.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, should we do a doctorate in this? I mean, contact some university, and see if they'll give us qualifications for our study? snowHead
snow report
I will measure mine this evening. No, no, no. My SKIS. Will report back tomorrow.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i know. s'rubbish. thinking of getting some 240 ski jump skis, but they're softer than mr whippies, damn it.
latest report
Myself and JT noted this the other week. 174 Recons were the same overall length as 181 Outlaws Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy