Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A trip to the Zoo...

Poster: A snowHead
geetee - after all these years I finally realise we have something in common - apart from rubbish skiing wink Yep, I've got Morton's toe too. Does he want it back????

Common Wear The Fox Hat, my wine's getting warm...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mmmm, nice shiraz here in Leeds......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Part the third...

(Just before we go to Pt3, I should add in a point which was made the night before - when I was standing "naturally", my knees were locked, but they appeared to be in an almost backward position)

Time to do a bit of walking on the spot. Barefoot. Staring straight ahead. Every so often, SZK says "stop". On about the fourth or fifth time he looks at me and says "are you doing this on purpose?" I ask what. We go again. He says the issue is my right leg. I tell him it's my left knee that's fubar'd. He then gets me to look at my feet.
And he starts to explain what he sees in my legs and feet.

But his first comment is a question: When I stop, do I stop to the right or the left? I had to think for a minute, but my prference has always been to stop with a turn to the left.

Turns out that my left leg is slighty collapsed in towards my right one (probably due to the knee injury). My left leg points perfect forward. My right leg points outward.
It appears (to him) that my right hip is stronger than the left, which is helping cause (I should say “exacerbate”, but I’m not sure how to spell that) the problem.

Anyway, the job of a bootfitter is not to correct the problems, but compensate for them, so rather than try to force my left leg into an unnatural position, he works on adjusting the left boot so that it is flat when my leg is in it’s natural alignment. He replaced one of the canting washers on the cuff (you get 10 different angled washers in total – 5 for each boot), and was happy with that, but fully explained what further changes I might need to get it just right, and how to find out if it was right or not by doing various exercises on the snow (similar to stuff Bud Heismann had me doing at the EpicSki Academy in Big Sky) – skiing straight on flat skis, seeing if both skis are running flat and true, etc.

So, having seen me walk, having measured my feet, and prodded and poked them in various ways, he concludes that Superfeet, rather than Conformables are what I need. I was in green, off the peg Superfeet. The same ones I’d been in for about 8 years. He recommends I go for the cork ones to get the best support and fit possible. I agree. And that’s what we go for.

Now my computer battery is running out, so part the fourth will have to wait until tomorrow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
geetee, yup, have had cramp before, but rarely. These feel a lot better than anything I've been in before.

All - I'm currently working on part 3 - slightly delayed by testing some wine for the weekend, while catching up on ISIHAC...
How coherant will this be? How much wine are you testing? What colour are you boots now? If you say anything besides green, we don't want to hear part 3 just yet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
can we have a mortons toe corner?? I also have it, but never knew it had a name Shocked Laughing Shock

I used to believe it was a Celtic toe, but supposedly it has a technical name!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, look fox we posted simultaneously!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, there's a lot of interesting reading on the web which goes a long way to explain why, for years, I kept getting, what I can only describe as, very painful cramp under my 2nd and 3rd toes on my right foot.

e.g. http://www.mortonsfoot.com/rothbartsfoot.html

http://www.foot.com/info/cond_mortons_toe.jsp
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, and you all thought I was making it up just to have a breather in the middle of a run! (I used to have 'boot moments' where I'd be in so much pain I'd just stop/collapse at the side of a run and wrench my boot off (much to the amusement of my fellow skiers I might add - 'oh she's at it again' rolling eyes ) Anyway, didn't you know Morton is a caring, sharing sort of bloke?

By the way, we're not freaks, we're in the majority :

http://www.topendsports.com/fun/bodysurvey/toes.shtml?view_results
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, ah-ha! I've found the excuse for our lack of talent

http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/remarkable_feets/index.html

"On most people's feet the second toe is longer. But, if your big--or first--toe extends further, you possess a natural advantage in skiing, sprinting, and certain other sports. Having a longer big toe, you can more readily lean your full body weight onto it. In skiing, planting the big toe is a must for cutting an edge." !!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, sorry Embarassed I'll stop hijacking your thread now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very cool, Fox! Having seen you ski, I'm very excited to hear about your first few turns using the Kryptons. With their progressive flex and the great fit it sounds like you got, I suspect you may discover that your skiing has changed... and you may even feel that your skis have changed.

When will you get them on-snow for the first time?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee wrote:
PhillipStanton, ah-ha! I've found the excuse for our lack of talent

http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/remarkable_feets/index.html

"On most people's feet the second toe is longer. But, if your big--or first--toe extends further, you possess a natural advantage in skiing, sprinting, and certain other sports. Having a longer big toe, you can more readily lean your full body weight onto it. In skiing, planting the big toe is a must for cutting an edge." !!!!

So what's my excuse then Shocked Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssh wrote:
When will you get them on-snow for the first time?

I suspect it will be on Thursday 14th December in Stowe...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flexon Phil, My reasoning.
Foxy measures 98mm across his forefoot, the same as the Krypton in 26. Albeit he has the 27, that leaves him 4mm for the I.D. liner. Perfect!
Foxy has no problems flexing the Boot.
He came from Icons(very stiff) so to take the Cross would have been too great a change.
The Pro comes with the Cross tongue, so he has two boots for the price of one, he can change the tongue for softer conditions.
He is going to ski alot better and faster now he has boots the right size and shape, so the flex will work just fine.
Losening the upper buckles can alow you to adjust flex beyond that of a 2 part boot.
The I.D. liner comes with the Cross too.

The Krypton Rocks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, SMALLZOOKEEPER, I want to let you know that this has been a fun and informative thread. Thanks for sharing!
latest report
SnowHot, glad you're enjoying it. Part 4 will be some time later today - a bit too much work to do right now Sad

...at the weekend, I'll upload the pics off my camera, including some of the bandana wearing bootfitter doing stuff.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, since I got the women's version of your boots and am just about to have them fitted, this has been a great source of information.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, You have photos?
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yes. A couple of you goggled up and using the grinder, and I think another one of you doing something to my feet...

Do you want me to blur out your face like they do with sex offenders?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Like a sex offender? Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Like a sex offender? Toofy Grin

No thanks, I wouldn't like a sex offender. Very Happy

...now, it's a shame I didn't take a pic of the Large one, which could then have been put up side by side with the late Mr Goldsmith to see how similar they really are...
ski holidays
Did Mr Goldsmith die ?? where have I been for the past 2 years ??
snow conditions
Helen LS, No he hasn't died, he's just gone on an extended heli-skiing trip as a hostess handing out free drinks to all the reps Madeye-Smiley

Wear The Fox Hat, A great thread, can't wait to read more. Smile
ski holidays
halfhand, you won't have to wait too much longer - just got a cheap multi-card reader, so the other photos are now on my computer...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, you couldn't stand it could you. GOOD! Now we get th whole story complete with pics
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Evil or Very Mad
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you don't want the pics shown?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Your story leaves things in the imagination, like a good book.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Flexon Phil, My reasoning.
Foxy measures 98mm across his forefoot, the same as the Krypton in 26. Albeit he has the 27, that leaves him 4mm for the I.D. liner. Perfect!
Foxy has no problems flexing the Boot.
He came from Icons(very stiff) so to take the Cross would have been too great a change.
The Pro comes with the Cross tongue, so he has two boots for the price of one, he can change the tongue for softer conditions.
He is going to ski alot better and faster now he has boots the right size and shape, so the flex will work just fine.
Losening the upper buckles can alow you to adjust flex beyond that of a 2 part boot.
The I.D. liner comes with the Cross too.

The Krypton Rocks!

So, you set him up with the stiffer tongue? Damn, that is too stiff for me, but I like a softerboot anyway.
snow report
Flexon Phil, They can be made stiffer with the inserts for the coller channel. There is so much adjustment in this boot and flex is a test of; Weight, Speed and temperature, a combination of factors rarely discovered twice.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Your story leaves things in the imagination, like a good book.
I agree, keep the fans on tenderhooks.
snow report
Floppy the Snotman,
Quote:

hmm, we'll never get to see the definition of 'cute' Laughing
Maybe thats a good thing Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, Cute: Generally small and fluffy Twisted Evil
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, You have photos?

Wear The Fox Hat
do you have photo's of you wearing the boots?
Very Happy
latest report
Floppy the Snotman wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

That's why there's no public photos of me in the boots.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'd like at least the chance to see the photos before the WEB.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, OK, I'll pull them.
latest report
and should I add VAIN to that list Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
He is going to ski alot better and faster now he has boots the right size and shape,

It's in writing now. wink
snow conditions
and should I add VAIN to that list Laughing

nah, I've seen the pictures Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy