Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes winter 2006-2007

Poster: A snowHead
If you look carefully you can see a sprinkling of snow on the top of the face - that's about 2,200m I should think.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Yippee! Am holding confidence I will be using my walking boots only for walking around in not as an alternative to skiing. LDA Webcams look white - presume cloud and hopefully bringing snow. There's a couple of us doing serious 'snow dances' on a regular basis - part of the get-fit routine you understand! Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely, looks like the conditions should be a lot better for the 5th Dec lesson, then.... and then the one on the 6th! Mind you, the B2's I was using seemed to hold onto the ice a lot better than my old skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
this was later today when the cloud cleared

It looks as if the next snow will be on Friday, but although a bit warmer, hopefully not all the higher snow will burn off. I don't really want to be on the glacier in December - but today's webcam looked suitably snoy up there. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nice pic! presumably those brown lower slopes are the 2 blacks (or is one red???) back to town???
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yes, you can see from the right, Diable, Le Y, and Sapins on that. There are no red home runs (apart from Posettes but they don't mark that up anymore, so its a powder field).The face doesn't look very steep in this pic either wink Valentin is just off to the left.
Looking forward to the usual excellent updates Charlotte Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This angle does minimise the steepness of the face rather. Never mind - nice surprise for newbies when they get here. Grande Pente is just to the left of the trees to the left of the pic. I'll have to take a pic and then photoshop in the names of all the runs. Very Happy

paulmck, thanks for the card, that was very sweet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

You mean people actually ski all the way down to LDA?? It was scary enough looking at that hill from the bubble, let alone actually standing on it! Give me 'boiler-plate' ice any day!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon, I would rather ski it than bike it. Some of those tracks were seriously scary.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon, Its a fun ski down when the snow is good Easiski led me down some nice steep bits last year more scary is the narrow green track only fun very late when there's no one on it except the pisteur hurrying you along. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon, Surely you didn't think we all got the Jandri Express down in winter? The white eggs are a nice alternative, as is the Belle Etoile chair. Very Happy wink

cannons running this morning Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easiski, There will be snow the next weekend in 2Alps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are the current snow/lack of snow conditions usual for this time of year? I ask because I'm off to Alpe d'Huez on the 2nd Dec with the basic plan to ski either there or in Les Deux Alpes depending on the conditions.

I've been looking at the bbc forecast and it looks like snow is coming this weekend. That said. Is it too late to build up a base for the start of the season? And will I be stuck on the glaciers?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obsessed_intermediate, neither of those resorts need a huge base to get their lower slopes open. both have grass underneath so catching your skis on rocks isn't a big problem. if you're looking for steeper stuff near the resort go to LDA, gentler ADH. both have glaciers. there's much more skiing on the LDA glacier although quite a lot of it is pretty flat. everything depends on what happens in the next couple of weeks though. a metre of snow and you're laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obsessed_intermediate, It's much too early to tell. It's been much chillier lately and feeling positively autumnal, so if we're lucky and it starts snowing seriously, then we'll be OK. Hey - our glacier's pretty big - just a pain to get up to and down from!

metalhead132, I saw that too, might give you a bit as well. It's been nice today until about 15.00 and then it started to cloud over seriously. It got really quite damp feeling around 16.00, but I don't think anything will come of it. Still - all helps. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Unfortunately I haven't really had anything to report for the last few days. It's been warm and sunny, the snow I photo'd the other day has gone, I've no way of knowing what's left at 2,600, and while the weather is really pleasant - IT'S NOT WHAT WE NEED AT THIS TIME OF YEAR! Sad
ski holidays
Noooooooooooooo!!! Please everyone get the dancing shoes on! Easiski needs us! ............................ and latestarter and I need snow in LDA for the 17th december.

Yeah yeah I know there is still time....................(praying smiley please)
snow conditions
OTOH ... I've just gone out to the shop and found ..... (drum roll) ............ cannons going full blast on the Valentin

and on the Cote Brun

I don't know how much good it will do but it's really nice to see. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
It is a disturbingly brun cote at the moment Sad

Still looks like you'll get at least moderate snow above 2000m late Friday though.
snow report
easiski, How long do you think it might it take them to cover enough with man made snow to be able to ski on ?
snow report
Linds, It takes weeks, and depends on how much it settles/wind etc. I should imagine that none of this will settle if it stays nice and warm like it is now. OTOH maybe they know something I don't and are preparing.
ski holidays
brian, According to several of the weather forecasts (which I've now looked at); it should snow buckets towards the end of the month. Also Lameteo.org (haven't been very reliable so far this year for the long range) say that it will snow "abundently" in December and January; "exceedingly" in February; not much in march; but "abundently" again in April. I like this forecast - I choose to believe it! wink Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, Sounds good to me Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, no my total guesses aren't usually that reliable either wink
snow conditions
easiski, what's the difference between 'abundently' and 'exceedingly' Confused and which will give the most snow Shocked Laughing Laughing
latest report
Annie, easiski, Do you think our energy might be better used asking all the Austrians who seem to be getting buckets of the stuff to blow to the south west next time it snows? Think those cannons may need some help and not sure I've got the dancing formula quite right - seems a bit hit and miss right now Puzzled
Michelle, Either will do fine - actually how about both at once for the next 4 weeks? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Michelle, Sort of literal translations from the French: I reckon abundant is not as much as exedent! Could be a winter when I'm screaming about too much snow at the end of it if this forecast is true. Wouldn't it be good for ssh to come over to abundant snow??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
easiski, oh yes! But just abundant snow would be nice... ssh or not Laughing (sorry ssh wink Laughing )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle, We are skiing in Jan/Feb/March and April so out of that lot we have to get some decent snow sometime Laughing
snow report
Linds, too true... hopefully every time snowHead
ski holidays
Linds are you looking for thigh deep powder?
Michelle are you looking for ankle deep powder?
latest report
Obsessed_intermediate wrote:
Are the current snow/lack of snow conditions usual for this time of year? I ask because I'm off to Alpe d'Huez on the 2nd Dec with the basic plan to ski either there or in Les Deux Alpes depending on the conditions.

I've been looking at the bbc forecast and it looks like snow is coming this weekend. That said. Is it too late to build up a base for the start of the season? And will I be stuck on the glaciers?

Poor early-season snow has been a problem for the Western Alps for a few years now. France has been badly hit.

On the flipside, late-season snow has been spectacular. Last year was a monster during Mar to May.

In the current 10-day forecast for LDA through Nov 24, there is almost nothing but rain at village level and modest snow up top.

Weather can change on a sixpence, so I may be wrong, but there's a high probability that you will be restricted to a handful of runs near the glacier(s) in early Dec.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Whitegold, Crying or Very sad
snow report
Don't worry too much about this it won't concern us in 10 years time!

That's because the world economy will be in meltdown due to climate change and we will be fighting on the streets - don't you watch Spooks!

wink
snow conditions
Cheers for the replies. I've pretty much got everything crossed now and I'm just hoping the snow forecast for this weekend pans out.
latest report
NorthWestFace, Only fighting in the streets here is between the Italians and the French at New Year - or if a bunch of british soccer hooligan types arrive!

Obsessed_intermediate, the main thing is that regardless, we've got a big glacier and so have absolutely guaranteed skiing. Still it would be nice to have 100% open.

Whitegold, I skied down to the village on 27th November last year when we opened (wasn't the best idea in the world but it had to be done). Check out last winter's thread and photos. 2003 I skied to my door at the Mondial. Not all places had as bad a time as Val Despair!!! wink wink
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
Don't worry too much about this it won't concern us in 10 years time!

That's because the world economy will be in meltdown due to climate change and we will be fighting on the streets - don't you watch Spooks!

wink

Project Aftermath... pssshhhh, it is a light pencil document and TOP SECRET!!!

Seriously I was reading a book about the fall of Rome - the last great European Unification project that worked (I'm excluding Hitler and Napolean here). The author, Ward-Perkins, a respected history professor says that population levels may have dropped 75% although says the figure is more likely to be around 50%. This was due to the economic dislocation to agriculture, productivity and supply lines. It took Europe 1000 years to recover in economic terms. Makes Aftermath sounds like a walk in the park in comparison. One of the causes for the fall of the Western Empire - climate change (cooler temperatures leading to smaller harvests and less tax revenues to pay the army).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-11-06 10:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
NorthWestFace, Only fighting in the streets here is between the Italians and the French at New Year - or if a bunch of british soccer hooligan types arrive!

You avoided getting your car vandalized at the Mondial du Snowboard then?
snow report
davidof, Yes - although some bast8rd stole the Ford badge last winter. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski wrote:
Only fighting in the streets here is between the Italians and the French at New Year - or if a bunch of british soccer hooligan types arrive!

To be fair, the French took their world cup final defeat pretty much on the chin. I doubt such exuberant Italian celebrations would have passed off peacefully in any English town Shocked

There was a big "Italia - Rentre Chez Toi" banner strung across the hillside the next morning though Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy