Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should bears be kept out of ski areas?

Poster: A snowHead
The Canadian resort of Lake Louise is considering encircling its ski area with a 10km electric fence to keep out grizzly bears. The plans are opposed by people who like to see wildlife roaming free in the mountains.

This report from Cnews (Canoe)

Is this an unjustified bear scare? (a grizzly apparently injured some tourists back in 1995) Would you take the risk of skiing Lake Louise without the electric fence?

Please bear all.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-09-04 17:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David, the bears have every right to be there. It is their natural habitat after all. If they put up an electric fence I'll refuse to ski there ever again!!!! Poor teddies!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahh put them in a zoo! Its bad enough with trees to avoid when skiing, let alone bears!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, if Grizzly Adams can deal with them, so can we! Let the bears roam, I say!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Terrible idea. Part of the charm (and joke) about Louise is that you might fall down a tree hole and land in someone's "hallway". In the winter they're kind of herded into a 'safe' place away from the ski runs and in the summer, well that's where they roam. Grizzly Gully is not named without reason!

It would be a real shame if they did this. Sad

I ski every year at louise and there's no bloody risk at all from bears, they hibernate for god's sake, besides which, bears may be fast, but I'd like to see them beat me down the ladies downhill! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ought to add, LL's summer tourism relies a lot (the ski hill part) on the chairlift up to Eagle Lodge and watching the effing bears. Sorry, this idea has gotten my quite riled!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra, i agree. Rediculious propsal. Mountains are about nature, and it is the bears natural habitat. All these communities have to have bear safety schemes, but enclosing it is too far.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only if they're on a snowboard Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra, i quite agree. What a terrible idea.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm adding my 2 cents worth. LEAVE THE BEARS ALONE.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recently came across this photo, it clearly shows that bears are actually a bonus to ski resorts and get on extremely well with skiers and have done for some time, the picture was taken in 1966 and shows my mother in, surprise surprise Wengen
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're okay as long as you keep an eye on your picnic basket.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which is your mother?

(sorry, DGO)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David, you've got to admit its an EPIC photo.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
While we're on the subject of animals in the streets of ski resorts here's a man with a monkey on a string (in a Russian ski resort).
latest report
David, do you think that could be an escapee from JWAZ?
snow report
No, I think it escaped from C&A.
snow conditions
Thats cruel - no one should be forced to wear a one piece anymore.
snow conditions
That's no monkey. It's Michael Jackson when he was black
snow conditions
Leave the bears free!
The barking ones too!!!
latest report
I'd be surprised if the risk of injury or death from bear-attack registered on the same scale as other skiing hazards. I bet the risk of skiing into the electric fence would be greater. My vote is definitely for the bears!

(BTW, I've had a close encounter with a bear (albeit black, not grizzly) on Mt. Rainier in Washington State, and seem to have lived to tell the tale.)
snow report
Bears have been part of life in Yosemite and other parks in the US for long enough that there has been time to formulate policies that work and still allow bears themselves to be part of the attraction of the park.

Unless they have some stronger reason than inconvenience to tourists, I agree that the electric fence should be kept out of Banff. Until the highway is twinned and a reasonable crossing provided.
latest report
Comprex, how do you explain those policies to the bears, though?

My vote is to leave the bears alone. I can't believe nadenoodlee wanted to put them into a zoo. I hate zoos, especially for large animals.
snow conditions
I'm all for letting the bears roam if anything it should make me ski faster Razz
snow report
Cedric, Laughing haven't heard from you in a time.

No point explaining an open door policy to bears, Barking or otherwise; they'll come in anyhow.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
While we're on the subject of animals in the streets of ski resorts here's a man with a monkey on a string (in a Russian ski resort).

Hmm. If you dont mind skiing with monkeys on the piste, try Shiga Kogen resort in Japan. Especially the area around Higashiyama.

Ski resorts in Japan open early and one morning around 7 we were skiing here. However, the piste was blocked by some hundred or so monkeys crossing the piste. Confused

It seems to be common as everyone just stood and watch, waiting until they had crossed and carried on skiing Razz

The monkeys descend to the restauarnats and hotels in the valley during the day and scrouge. In fact, if you leave your hotel room window open they will ransack the room!

We experienced some rather fat monkeys at the restaurant that day. They just sit on the end of the table and wait.... Shocked Not sure if they were after my food or me
Anyway.....monkeys and people seem to get along well

So what's the odd bear to one hundred monkeys NehNeh
latest report
Leave those bears alone. It makes skiing a lot more exciting when you have a bear chasing you down the piste!! Shocked

No seriously, why do human beings think they have the right to keep animals away from places that they have roamed in for more years than can be counted.

It is there land as much as ours.
snow conditions
sparish wrote:
We experienced some rather fat monkeys at the restaurant that day.

It's always best to order them lean, or at any rate well done Toofy Grin

Annehillskiing wrote:
It makes skiing a lot more exciting when you have a bear chasing you down the piste!!

Actually the official advice is always to flee downhill from a bear: their front legs can't bear (groan) the weight of running downhill very easily, but they're much more nimble than a human going uphill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman - unless the bears on skis? Very Happy
snow report
I think if I tried to run away from a bear going up hill I would probably have a heart attack and they would have a very easy meal!!!!!!
ski holidays
I forgot to add that in the photo above the large bear on the right is wearing ski boots though they are not very clear in this image Shocked
latest report
According to Libération, "Fat Albert" has struck again.
Quote:

DENVER - A paraplegic Aspen Colorado local had to wait helplessly in his bedroom for a couple of hours while a 230 kg brown bear, nicknamed Fat Albert, helped itself to everything edible in the man's kitchen.

"I had two kilos of chocolate. It ate the lot. War is declared", complained Tom Isaac, following the incident which took place on September 20th.

"I heard everything being smashed up", he went on, telling of his fear that the animal might find its way into his bedroom. Tom has been paralysed ever since a skiing accident in the 1980s.

Not the first time "Fat Albert" has dropped in. The bear has visited Tom a good half-dozen times. "The very next day the Rangers found the bear having a sleep in my dining-room", added Isaac.

At this time of year the bears 'overeat' to fatten themselves up for hibernation, and this sometimes leads to them breaking into houses in the search for food.
latest report
Should bears be kept out of ski areas? I think they should for their own safety
snow conditions
If the fence to keep the bears out
or
skiers in ??? Very Happy snowHead Very Happy
snow report
Whilst tree skking in LL I found it to be quite an incentive to stay upright, with the thought that I might wake up a hungry bear in a bad mood.

It would be a sad day if the bears were forced away. There's no way that they would come out of hibernation during the height of the LL ski season its way too cold.
snow conditions
Ken Lingwood wrote:
There's no way that they would come out of hibernation during the height of the LL ski season its way too cold.

Not even if a group of skiers skied over the bear's house/lair/structure of twigs not string enough to support the weight of a skier? Shocked Skullie
latest report
Quote:

Not even if a group of skiers skied over the bear's house/lair/structure of twigs not string enough to support the weight of a skier?

Even more incentive for skiers to stay fit Laughing
ski holidays
Waking one up on your own could be a problem, however, I wouldn't be too worried if I was in a group as I'd make sure I wasn't the slowest so that someone else gets munched Twisted Evil
snow conditions
if a group of skiers skied over the bear's house/lair/structure of twigs not strong enough to support the weight of a skier?

Wow, clever bears if they're setting up those sort of traps. They'll be skiing next and then there really is a problem.
ski holidays
NickW,
Quote:

Wow, clever bears if they're setting up those sort of traps. They'll be skiing next and then there really is a problem

see the picture above taken in 1966, the bear on the right was wearing ski boots even then Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy