Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

whats your weapon of choice, the one set up you will use mostly this coming season

Poster: A snowHead
well seeing as i am a skiboarder, i will be tearing up the slopes on my new Summit Custom 110's. with bomber elite/regular/non release bindings.

Length: 110cm
Tip/tail height: 4.5 cm
Tip/waist/tail width: 14/11/14cm
Turning radius: 5.34 meters

this set up will be a massive leap forward from my salomon 90cm with snowboard/soft bindings set up
roll on flaine jan20th 2007
graeme Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bonus points for the looks Wink (I like wood)

But i'll stick to my black Volkls full of Stars Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another season on Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Firstly, I'll make a note to avoid Flaine from 20 Jan Laughing

Guess I'll just continue my mantra that it doesn't matter much what you've got under yer boots so long as the prep is OK and they're roughly the right length. If you can't have a fab time on today's equipment there's something very wrong with your skill set. I'll never forget the bloke I met in Verbier once... he washed dishes, filled in as bar man etc. He couldn't afford skis but managed (somehow) to find a discarded 210 GS ski (he assumed the other one had snapped in the bumps) and one 223 DH ski. The bindings were luckily approximately the same model from same manufacturer. He sawed 13cm off the back of the DH ski, repositioned the bindings and used that set up for most of the season. He was no slouch in any conditions. Did he have a fantastic time? YES. So, the set up for me will continue to be "whatever".
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am thinking it will be my M11 B5's. Or maybe the Titan 9's, I think this ski might surprse me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hopefully my brand new Zag le Rouge will last out the season - just love those skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller,
I'm sure you are right about skill set and that Bode Miller could beat 99.9% of skiers with his boots nailed to a couple of barrel staves. But some of us who are 'skill set challenged' need all the help we can get.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nordica Enforcer 185cm. January: a little something new from K2. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Firstly, I'll make a note to avoid Flaine from 20 Jan

why would you do that, surely you dont look down on skiboarders as being inferior do you? would be boring if we where all the same
graeme
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
K2 Apache Recons all-mountain ski's for me. Yeah baby!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Up to now my wife has been ok about me posting on Snowheads and spending time viewing other postings. However she is somewhat concerned that people are taking photos of their equipment and posting them for other people to look at. She thinks this is not normal behaviour.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lol, you have to ask if its ok to view the web
graeme
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Armada AR6's (Mr T) WITH matching Mad Steez poles and K2 Public Enemy (07)

A
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme wrote:
well seeing as i am a skiboarder, i will be tearing up the slopes on my new Summit Custom 110's. with bomber elite/regular/non release bindings.

hmmm the thought "spiral tibia fracture" springs to mind. How about a pair of Wed'ze special backcountry edition with releasable Fritschi bindings?

latest report
I'm really looking forward to my Volkl Karmas. Although I think the MetronB5's will still be my main ski. I'll let you know in a month wink
snow conditions
On-piste skiing for me, and my Volkl Attiva 4* (predecessor of this year's Attiva S4) will be just the thing. I absolutely love these skis!
ski holidays
davidof, got skins for those things?
ski holidays
these are still my babies:

ski holidays
comprex, .....remember to read directions......!

....remove all packaging before use........ Toofy Grin
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
davidof, got skins for those things?

You can buy Salewa skin on the roll for 16 euros/meter, you only need 2.5 meters and a pair of top-fix. That said they are only for the narrow trees of the Chartreuse where you can't get anything much wider through and still ski. Still they would make great approach skis for climbers and a whole lot cheaper than the alternatives.
latest report
Arno wrote:
these are still my babies:

Not impressed, I mean it's not a very big helicopter is it. Wink
snow report
Fischer TStix Stingray with 7TM bindings. Skis are new and unused but a couple of season old. Skis are either 179 or 183cm (can't remember which) and have a turn radius of approx 21m
Description is "The Fischer T-Stix Stingray Ski takes the proven and popular Big Stix 7.6 profile and stiffens it up to make it a truly versatile all-mountain mid fat."

We'll have to see how they go as I've not tried them yet.

If I'm not on those I'll probably be on Fischer Boundless waxing nordic touring skis with a Voile 3pin and cable binding on a release plate.

davidof,

I've got a pair of Rosignol Free Venture blades which I use occasionally, but do you know if anyone has tried mounting a pair of blades with a telebinding?
latest report
DB, there are TWO helis in that pic. i choose which one according to how well it matches my all in one bogner f@rtbag (with fur trim) wink
snow report
Fischer Big Stix 86.

How can Fisher say "The Fischer T-Stix Stingray Ski takes the proven and popular Big Stix 7.6 profile and stiffens it up to make it a truly versatile all-mountain mid fat".

Sory but 76 is not mid-fat....it is skinny skinny skinny!
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, plenty blades/skiboards to be had with tele bindings, take a look at www.skiboards.com
graeme
ski holidays
Arno, "there are TWO helis in that pic"

three actually... and all French - you decide...

wink
latest report
Powderhound, i was talking about the ones I OWN

not wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme,
Quote:

plenty blades/skiboards to be had with tele bindings, take a look at www.skiboards.com
graeme

No tele bidings there..... some AT ones tho snowHead

'
Quote:

but do you know if anyone has tried mounting a pair of blades with a telebinding?

I don't know of anyone, but it might be fun ( in a scary sort of way Shocked )
latest report
take a look on the message board/forum of that site, deffo some telebindings been fitted to blades/boards there
graeme
snow conditions
rungsp,

Not sure Fischer do, the description came from
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ski-equipment/telemark-randonee-and-snowshoes/telemark-skis/Fischer/PRD_328745_4211crx.aspx

Fischer haven't made them for a couple of years so I can't find their dimensions on the web, but I'll have a look when I get home. I think they are fatter than my nordic touring skis (98-69-88 ) and my AT skis which are similar to the tourers. I spent >50% of my time last year on the nordic touring skis including a lot of lift served skiing at Les Arc and Cairngorm.
snow conditions
Checked in the ski locker this morning:

Fischer TStix 175cm 115 76 100 r21
Atomic Tour Carve 177cm 97 69 86 - my AT Touring skis mounted with Frischiti bindings
Fischer Boundless 179cm 98 69 88 my nordic touring tele skis

So there quite a bit fatter than what I've skiied in the past Smile
latest report
graeme wrote:
take a look on the message board/forum of that site, deffo some telebindings been fitted to blades/boards there
graeme

One has to ask why? I'd have thought nothing was more guaranteed to start back tip dive than to have your foot squirrelling around on a too short ski when you lead change. Like most snowlerblading I suspect its excellent for technical balance not so practical for any use I'd want to put them to (with my ski level).

Nice trenchdiggers on your blades BTW but strictly speaking the correct place for them is on a race board wink
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:

One has to ask why?

Easier to distinguish the true tele turn from fake-a-mark at slower speeds on smaller hills.
It's a hoot with a leather boot.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a flood of 110-140cm tele setups in snowdomes.

EDIT: Back tip dive is a problem in pow for those who already know how to pressure the back ski, but horses for courses, far more problematic is going over the handlebars in slow wet slushsnow.
latest report
fatbob, why not,
i dont understand why folks slag off snowblades/skiboards, is it some kind of snobbery. so what if folk choose to use them, doesnt make them any better or worse than skiers or boarders, just makes them different. i can ski to a very high level but choose to skiboard, in my oppinion its more fun. and thats what this is all about isnt it. wether it be skis, boards, skiboards its all sliding on snow. i have read the view that snowbladers are hooligans on the slopes, but this was also said about snowboarders. doesnt matter what you have attached to your boots, there will be a hooligan element, have seen it with all 3, none being worse than another
graeme
ski holidays
I'll be taking my renting various Scotts, Nordicas and Volkls in January to decide what my next pair will be...and then buy some snowHead
snow report
This season I'll mostly be using my karmas.

When I die I'm going to be buried with them so I can use them in the next life.
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
fatbob, why not,
i dont understand why folks slag off snowblades/skiboards, is it some kind of snobbery. so what if folk choose to use them, doesnt make them any better or worse than skiers or boarders, just makes them different. i can ski to a very high level but choose to skiboard, in my oppinion its more fun. and thats what this is all about isnt it. wether it be skis, boards, skiboards its all sliding on snow. i have read the view that snowbladers are hooligans on the slopes, but this was also said about snowboarders. doesnt matter what you have attached to your boots, there will be a hooligan element, have seen it with all 3, none being worse than another
graeme

Well said - was just pulling your leg really though you'd never catch me on burly non-release bindings like those Bombers unless it was on a alpine board.

I can see teleing on hardpack on a wedze length ski might be good training. My teleing isn't stable enough to feel confident about it just yet
snow report
comprex wrote:
fatbob wrote:

One has to ask why?

EDIT: Back tip dive is a problem in pow for those who already know how to pressure the back ski, but horses for courses, far more problematic is going over the handlebars in slow wet slushsnow.

Thinking about it more you wouldn't of course be skiing blades in the type of snow where dive could be an issue and I can see how tele stance would improve the stability of snowlerblades (sorry can't resist - love the word Embarassed ) so that nice tight teleturns on the right hardpack might be practical. If I was good enough.
snow report
fatbob, i had 2 brand new sets of skiboards about 10 months ago, set of salomon 99cm with releasable bindings, set of atomic etl123 cm with releasable bindings, but then the summits arrived, they are a work of art, and will be fantastic in all conditions compared to the other 2 sets. the others where put straight on the bay, i mihgt buy another set of summits, the nomads 1m long (or short depending on viewpoint), and will prob go again for non release bindings. yeah i know that accidents can happen, but if i was to have that as my reasoning for chosing kit then i would leave this sport that i love. up until 2006 i had salomon 90cm blades with snowboard bindings, looked cool, where very comfy,but lost so much control compared to hard bindings. best thing about them was the bindings where on huge riser plates, you could really crank right over when carving.
graeme
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy