Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What atmospheric conditions are most likely to bring snow to the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking at the meterological charts produced by the likes of the Met Office (this, for example) and was wondering if there is a typical pattern of high and low pressure systems that is most likely to bring snow to the (Western) Alps. Do storm tracks coming from the west along the North Atlantic bring snow or is it more likely that systems coming from the north or east?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One for Skanky, me thinks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, snow clouds? Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charlatanefc, bugger, I hadn't thought of that one! Now I know what to look for. Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, No problem. Anytime soldier Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snow clouds + cold temps....

your sounding desperate for snow now rob Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, an interesting question. I think that would be worth also be worth asking on Netweather.tv forum. Like you to me it seems a large Euro High is stuck firmly in place and keeping things far too warm and dry. While Netweather is a UK based forum it would interesting to get an opinion on what to look for on the GFS charts that would be indicative of the right combination.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From memory and school boy geography/metrology I seem to remebre that the conditions that give rise to the biggest alpine snow falls are when a north westerly airstream is flowing from polar regions down across the UK and central france. This wind usually contains the most humidity and is cold but is also unstable an likely to allow heavy pecipitation (rainsnow). Not necessarily in the UK but certainly in the alps
A north eastrly airflow from say siberia, although very cold is much dryer and is theefoe quite stable and unlikely to give preciptation (but will be b cold)

Sothweaterly and south easterly airflows are going to be too warm to give any real accumlations of snow, unless they create fronts wth polar airflows right over the alps.

I do stand to be corrected and am willing to take more from those with more in depth knowledge . snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
snow clouds + cold temps....

your sounding desperate for snow now rob Wink

Not really, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what conditions bring to fluffy stuff. I'm off to Tignes next Saturday and will be doing a GS course there so I don't want too much fresh snow that week. After I get back though I hope it dumps down so that trips in December will be endowed with lots of fresh Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lisach, thanks for the link - I'll take a look across there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
also rob@rar, try this link http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html Its Archive data back to 1948 I think. Try to compare to a date when you know it snowed or didn't snow etc and see if you can spot a pattern compared to the lastest GFS charts. Good luck!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lisach, thanks, that's a useful function. I'm only just beginning to find my way around wetterzentrale - it's an amazing website.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bryan, Not round here. It's the South Westerlies that bring our biggest snowfalls - you must be thinking of the "other" part of the alps!

On a jollier note: it's been colder for the last couple of days and there's a lot more cloud around. I did spot some high cirrus off behind Les Ecrins yesterday, which would normally mean precipitation within 24-36 hours here. Fingers and toes all neatly crossed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easiski:
The weather forecasts predicted a significant amount of precipitation above de Southwestern Alps the next weekend:
Estimated snowlevel at 1600-1900m
In Pyreenes, in the northwestern side the snow will be important too.

Meteogram:

Precipitation models:

The 500Hpa map, shows important flux of W-SW winds:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 11-11-06 13:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:
Do storm tracks coming from the west along the North Atlantic bring snow or is it more likely that systems coming from the north or east?

All 3 can bring snow (plus systems coming off the med from the South, especially if they run into cold air) but the atlantic will usually provide the most moisture. The other big factor is that you want your mountain to be the first thing in the storm's path.
latest report
brian, It's been raining quite hard this afternoon and the temp was onl 5deg on my balcony, so I'm hoping to see something tomorrow morning. Could have snowed as low as 2000m with that temp. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Metcheck says you might get a little bit tonight and a reasonable dollop later in the week.
ski holidays
Quote:

reasonable dollop

Is this a new meteorological term?
latest report
at 3pm there was a little snow in Les Saisies at 2000m on their webcam..... snowHead Says they are expecting a light covering by morning apparently
ski holidays
Once winter sets in properly, then unless you you get a serious set of warm air from the south, any precipitation at altitude should bring snow. It helps if the air's cold to get stuff down in the valleys, so a cold front is best. This could be on the leading edge of a northerly (bot due and westerly) or what's called returning polar maritime air. This latter is cold air from the Arctic that's come south across the Atlantic and then westwards or north westwards across the UK and Europe. NE can be dry, but isn't always snowless. The further south you go, the more you want SW air as it won't lose most of it's moisture across France & the Pyrennees. As long as there's cold air in the system and/or (as brian says) it meets cooler air from the N or NE.

At the moment the seas are still relatively warm, which I think is why Austria tends to do better than elsewhere earlier in winter. But the land is already cooling considerably (we've been in a warming deficit for a while), and once the seas catch up then you're really looking for any moisture that's not attached to air from N Africa.

NB There's probably a few mistakes in there, but I've found all my old Met notes so as soon as I get some free time I'll be re-reading them all which should help.
snow conditions
skanky, ta very much.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy