Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tornado or Metron 11B5

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I need some help,
Has anyone tested the new salomon tornado's or the Metron 11B5"s?

I am getting one of these skis this winter but I am not sure which ones to get. I like to ski groomed very fast but also like the west coast powderdays, such as ones up at Kicking Horse or Whistler. I would consider myself advanced as I ski quite agressively so I want a ski that can keep up. I heard that the B5 is a heavy ski so that;s why I thought maybe the 11 B5 would be a better option. I also like the salomon feel, so Im not sure weather or not to go for the atomic.
Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know what a Tornado is.... I'd be looking at a Recon
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied both, The M11 B5 is a beefier ski and held much better on the snow. The regular B5 was a heavy stiff ski, the M11 version is a 15M radius (in 170) and a much more versatile ski than the reg B5. The weight is not an issue (as long as you don't have the 04-05 Neox 412).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, it's one of the X-Wings; I think you skied one last week...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a similar issue I currently ski The SX11 but tried the Metron B5 for a day last March and I loved it but felt it would be tiring to use all the time due to the weight. I have thought about the M11 but am concerned that it will not match up to the regular Metron B5, also impressed by reviews for the Volkl Ac3/4, any thoughts as I need to buy in next two weeks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied the Tornado, the Fury, the M11:B5, and the Metron:B5 (which has been my primary ski for the past two-plus seasons). There is a review here with some details and comparisons...

That said, the Tornado is a very light, soft ski. It is wonderful on the groomed, and reasonable on the chop, but does get pushed around a little bit. At higher speeds (40mph or so), it gets a little "excited" at the tip. The Fury is wider, but essentially the same ski. It ramps up the speed limit, and is surprisingly agile on the groomed for a fatter ski. I didn't get it into powder, but I bet it floats nicely, too.

The M11:B5 is a more GS-feeling ski than the M:B5, and makes most who ski it with modern technique feel like a superstar. It is definitely an Atomic feel, with very strong edge bite. You can feather it, but it clearly prefers to be on-edge. The B5 is a hard-charger and prefers very tight turns. You can let them run and they are stable as a rock, and the weight doesn't show up while skiing them. However, they are certainly a ski that people either love or hate, so I wouldn't recommend buying them without trying them first.

I would be remiss not to mention the skis that have captured me this year: the Nordica Mach 3 Power and the Nordica Afterburner. If you get a chance, take them for a ride, too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, I will if I kind find them to try, Which would you say is closer to the B5 eg smaller radius turn?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark,

I was on the Fury and its not bad. I don't think the Tornado would be of interest to me
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JulianM wrote:
Thanks, I will if I kind find them to try, Which would you say is closer to the B5 eg smaller radius turn?
The softer ones will tend to bend more and produce tighter turns, but they do it in a different way than the B5s. The Mach 3 (non-power) or the Afterburner both do this. I prefer the Afterburner (and in fact have a pair on order).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just returned form a week in the Itallian Dolimites with my newly purchased Nordica afterburners. dispite extensive reserch I realise that I have made the wrong choice for me and will be looking to sell these on. I know I should have tried them first, but it is impossible to find these type of skis in european ski shops, They have all the 2008 models in the windows this week but never a test model available.

Back to the ski, it was I found compentant in most conditions, but just felt to dead particularly on piste. Its is like driving a car with powered steering, eg little feed back as to what is happing under foot, It is however very stable on hardpack. I rearlise I should have bought the B5s. still if any body wants a pair of mint conditon Afterburners let me know!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy