Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mileage or not

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed a discussion on the Zermatt thread about how much piste is needed.

When selecting a resort is there an ideal (or minimum) piste km that you require for a week?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't we had this discussion before? I'm an almost 100% on-piste skier and dislike skiing the same runs more than half a dozen times a holiday so somewhere 100km+. Ideally 200km+, anything over that is 'lots' in my experience.

Not just the number though - take a look at what is there: connectivity between the slopes, variety of hills/gradients/likely views, number of blues/reds, height etc.

aj xx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Based on the PSB........about 3km Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My position remains unchanged "its not about the quantity its about the quality". Give me one immaculated groomed wide run with no-one on it rather than 100ks of connecting cat tracks & busy pistes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, indeed. Give me a nice, narrow, steep(ish) run and I'll be happy. Or give me one, immaculately groomed wide run with no-on on it rather than 100ks of connecting cat tracks and busy pistes. I'm happy to do the same run over and over to improve technique.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, there's 400m of moguls in Schladming that would take me a week to get down keeping upright for the whole hill. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Variety is more important for me, although smaller resorts have less opportunity for a range of pistes than larger resorts so the two factors are not mutually exclusive. Ideally I'd like to have high altitude open bowl skiing, a good selection of steeper reds and blacks, steep pistes that are prepared and steep pistes that are left to develop bumps, tree-lined pistes, and a good selection of gentle off-piste including some through the trees. If I can have all of those things the ability to ski to different villages and a modern lift system are big bonuses Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As rob@rar says, it's good to be able to ski to different villages. Otherwise it's the quality rather than the quantity that's important to me, and that includes scenery and decent refuelling facilities as well as good (and preferably quiet, I can just about remember that) pistes. My ventures into off piste are few and tentative, so it's interesting pistes rather than off piste that I look for
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Hmm now I believe a resort like that can be seen from the worlds best resort wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Floppy the Snotman wrote:
rob@rar, Hmm now I believe a resort like that can be seen from the worlds best resort wink

There has to be some advantages to skiing in the World's Best Resort, even if it's only being able to look across the valley and seeing what a proper resort looks like Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with a.j. on this one, for a full week in one resort, 100km+ I like the feeling of skiing to a "distant" place for lunch, then coming back, for example. Can't think of much worse than skiing the same run over & over, working on my technique - aaahhhh! You might as well go to Milton Keynes for that.

Quality & variety of terrain, and how busy a particular area is will make me spend more time in a certain part of a lift system tho. A good example is the bit round courchevel 1650:- not actually any better than any other part of the 3V, but a bit quieter so more fun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Variety is more important for me, although smaller resorts have less opportunity for a range of pistes than larger resorts so the two factors are not mutually exclusive. Ideally I'd like to have high altitude open bowl skiing, a good selection of steeper reds and blacks, steep pistes that are prepared and steep pistes that are left to develop bumps, tree-lined pistes, and a good selection of gentle off-piste including some through the trees. If I can have all of those things the ability to ski to different villages and a modern lift system are big bonuses Smile

I agree. Not sure I'm with these purists who can work on one slope for their entire holiday improving their technique. Dubai snowdome for them. when I ski I'm on holiday. I enjoy exploring a resort as well as the variety of runs hammering blues/reds/ trying to work out moguls/ embarassing myself in powder eating snow. However its each to their own Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with both sides - if I'm with the family we go to smaller resorts (e.g. Passo Tonale) and I enjoy just cruising the runs over and over. If I'm away with my mates we go to bigger resorts (e.g. Morzine) and cover lots of terrain.

I'm happy with both Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Disagree, what is the point in spending a morning 'travelling' on lifts and connecting pistes just to get somewhere for lunch and then return doing the same. Whenever I do this, the day seems to be spent on lifts, queuing and skiing down pistes I would usually avoid. Give me a few good runs of steeps, bumps, schusses (sic?) and powder any day, that way your skiing time is 10 fold more than 'restaurant touring'.
Though it is nice to know it is there...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
200km+ ideally but depends on lot's of other variables. I do like the feeling I'm travelling somewhere, up and down the same run gets boring unless it's down into Val D at the end of the day in which case 'interesting' would be one way of describing it. Like trying to ski down your high street at 30mph in the sales would be another.
ski holidays
Most lifts go upwards rather than accross, surely.
ski holidays
Favourite resort: La Grave. Kilometres of piste: zero.
But mileage: yes, yes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 10-11-06 14:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Disagree, what is the point in spending a morning 'travelling' on lifts and connecting pistes just to get somewhere for lunch and then return doing the same. Whenever I do this, the day seems to be spent on lifts, queuing and skiing down pistes I would usually avoid. Give me a few good runs of steeps, bumps, schusses (sic?) and powder any day, that way your skiing time is 10 fold more than 'restaurant touring'

Why not go down "steeps, bumps, schusses (sic?) and powder" on the way to a far-flung corner of the lift system? You don't have to get around using the blue runs martski, use your imagination! If you go up & down the same run over & over you will spend just as much time queuing & sitting on the chairlift. At least if you are "restaurant touring" you get a different view each time you park your bum.
ski holidays
Sage, I agree, it al depends on the mood and the company. Sometimes its nice just to pootle about a small resort. cruising between rest stops and going round for another 'circuit' Other times it great to really feel you travelled across the mountain from one village to another. I suppose if I had to choose I'd like a large ski area with lots of cute easy stuff dotted about to give me the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
snowball, Laughing Laughing

the ice perv, No-one is actually saying that this is what one looks for, but with good technique it's not the end of the world. All resorts could have a snow drought in a warm spell. I was just totally astonished at the assertion that Zermatt (a pretty big ski area) would be boring for a half decent skier if you didn't venture off piste!

Everyone wants quiet - well guess where that is? In little places without too many lifts or pistes! (I gather TOs will only go to resorts with more than 100Kms) hehehehehehe Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I think I'm with Goldilocks! I've certainly been in places that are too small to entertain me for long. OTOH, I don't need a mega, linked resort to keep me happy for a week. I like to get to know some runs well, and work out good lines, where I can safely let the skis run, etc.
latest report
easiski, I've not read the "Zermatt thread" but that does sound cobblers. OTOH I could understand an advanced piste skier getting bored with Cervinia in less than a week!
ski holidays
too many numbers here.. what about weather, the people you are with etc its 'un' or 'in' definable.. some days your in the groove others you arn't ..
snow report
I really enjoy the sense of travelling around, exploring and finding new areas, pistes, villages, restaurants when I ski. So I suppose I do enjoy big, linked areas most.

I like to have a separate piste map I keep at the chalet and then colour in with a zig zag line when I get back in the evening to show everywhere I've skied that day. If I get to the end of the week, and it's all coloured in, that would be best snowHead ~ but not quite managed it yet.

Les Arcs, Trois Vallees, Espace Killy are all 'big enough' (!)
ski holidays
SkiBod, you should have come to the PSB last week then, could have skied the map easy in a day Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Wow! Sounds like Serre Chevalier (in a good winter). Mmmmmmm!
snow conditions
snowball's beaten me to it. 0km of piste, but probably with a lift to take me 2km uphill every now and again - say after every 20km of skiing or so (and maybe an hour or two of skinning in between times for a bit of variety). Heaven!
latest report
GrahamN, skinning? You a boarder GrahamN? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too many factors to take into account wink
latest report
Mark Hunter, pah...wash your mouth out young man....skinning as in "walking uphill with skins under the skis"...aka touring Wink .
latest report
GrahamN, heh heh hiding them from the boarders eh? Teach the mid-slope sitting blighters eh?
ski holidays
If its interesting, milelage doesn't come into it. I've spent all day on the same lift...and just doing variations of the run down.
Generally, I'm not interested in where the pistes go... I'm more interested in where the lift goes....
latest report
Im a bit of a cruiser so i like 100km+ and also, as has been stated, skiing to different villages is lots of fun. I did spend 4 days at a place with 12km of runs (basically one red, one black and one blue) and i enjoyed it because i was skiing and the runs were very nice but if i have the choice I much prefer a bigger place.

Also, variety is defintely important. Im off to the Ziller Valley next year so I should have lots of fun with 600km of pistes, lots of different resorts, glacier etc. Very Happy
snow report
I reckon that if I'm on my own I need 100km+ to keep me entertained, although with good company such as the PSB anyold slap of ice will do snowHead
snow report
johnboy, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy