Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer RX8 vs Atomic Met B5. Any Help?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All! I've noticed that most members seem to be across the great pond from me, but I still hope I'm in the right place to get some help! If not, just tell me to take a hike. Sad

Purchased a set of Fischer RX-8's last year and absolutely loved them. Incredible energy, edge hold, etc...just an absolutely fun pair of boards to ski on. I ski mostly in the northeast of the US and they do a tremendous job for the typical conditions. However, I went out to Utah for a week in March where we woke up to about a foot or more of new dry stuff every day and it was a struggle! Although moving the binding back on it's track helped a little, it was still rough because of such a narrow waist.

I was in a local ski shop this morning discussing this with the sales guy while looking at other options because we're planning at least two weeklong trips out west again this year. His recommendation was to replace my RX-8's with the Metron B5's. He swears up and down that it has everything I liked about the Fischers but that with a much wider waist it will satisfy me in the deep stuff and keep me from plowing under.

Any help? Living in Florida I've only got one local shop here and that's it, so any info would be appreciated! I love the RX-8's so much and I'm desparately afraid I will be disappointed. Especially being that the B5's will require me selling the RX-8's and still investing a steep chunk of change!

35 years old
175 lbs
RX-8 170cm
love to ski the whole mountain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob.buerkle, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Visitors from around the world are always welcome, since skis are skis and snow is snow. We do have a small ex-pat community from the US here... Very Happy (And as usual I can't help with your question about skis)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob.buerkle, welcome to snowHeads!

spyderjon on here has skiied in Utah on Metrons, but personally I'd go for something wider, longer and lighter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe a Metron is a ski that is supposed to do Everything pretty well.

However, if you want a ski that does kneedeep powder, there is better out there (they just do pistes less nice). I'd keep the Fishers and add a nice fatty powderski. Costwise... well if you sell the fishers, you probably don't get so much in return, and the Metrons ain't exactly cheap skis (most fat skis are a fair bit cheaper then the metrons)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob.buerkle, as I understand it the most important dimention of the ski for deeper snow is the width underfoot. The wide tips and tails of the metron may help a little but probably not that much of an improvement over the RX-8's.

Try a quick look on ebay for some around 90mm+ underfoot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Quote:
I'd keep the Fishers and add a nice fatty powderski.

I debated that, but here's the issue. I travel extensively (220 to 240 nights a year on the road by car) and in the summertime travel with the golf bag and in the winter travel with the skis. It allows me to get in about 30-40 ski days a year which is great. But what I want to avoid if possible is carrying around another set of skis in the car. I am oftentimes at a different hotel every night or two and have to lug the equipment out of and back into the car at each stop. Believe me, its a pain in the butt as it is without adding to it.

Quote:
However, if you want a ski that does kneedeep powder, there is better out there (they just do pistes less nice).

That's the conundrum I'm hoping to solve. According to the sales guy, he states unequivocally the B5 will do everything that the RX-8 will do and then some. Meaning that I won't lose the aggressiveness of the Fischer while gaining a drastic improvement in the skis ability to handle powder. Being that no matter how hard I've tried to load up on it, I've never really been able to "outski" the RX-8, I just am very skeptical.

Quote:
as I understand it the most important dimention of the ski for deeper snow is the width underfoot.

Very true. I guess guess what I'm hoping to hear is if someone can confirm -

1. The B5 truly is as aggresive and responsive as the RX-8, and...

2. Is a 10mm difference underfoot and a 17mm increase tip and tail enough to make difference in the deep stuff.

RX-8 115-68-98
B5 131-76-115

Makes me marvel at how my parents skied the deep with skis that were probably a straight 76mm tip to tail!! Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob.buerkle, If you're going for something in a fat powder ski I'd consider the Sugar Daddy,124/99/111, or maybe the new Snoop daddy.125/88/111.

Between the two the Snoop will likely give you the best all around ski.

I love my B5, but If you're not looking for something that carves as much and want something that will rock your world in the powder. All reports point to the Snoop Daddy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, Hi! I think I found my happy spot on snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob.buerkle, while you may have extra width with the Metron, you will be going shorter - for your weight, I'd say a 162 at the most, so you may not gain as much float as you'd expect.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowHot,

SnowHot wrote:

I love my B5, but If you're not looking for something that carves as much and want something that will rock your world in the powder. All reports point to the Snoop Daddy!

I don't feel so crazy now posting in the middle of the night now that I see that you're even an hour behind me! Very Happy

But you see, that's the thing....I don't want to give up the agrressiveness of the RX-8 if I don't have to. I would rather not comprimise that carving ability if that's what the B5's are going to do. Basically I am looking for something that carves as much but will float a little better in the powder.

And by the way, I'm jealous!! I just saw your pic of your quiver in the other thread!! NICE!! Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob.buerkle, The snoop daddy will be somewhere in between.
Don't get me wrong, You'll love the Metron B5, and it will likely make you very happy but I think the Snoop daddy will be just a teensy weensy bit more to the liking as you've described, and a lot lighter for travel.

If you haven't seen this page. Look here to compare some of the dimensions of skis.
http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2007/
All of the skis we're talking about here are in "All Around"

There has been some review on Epic about the Snoop Daddy
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=39980

And the Sugar Daddy
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=40358

I won't even try to get information from Epic about the Metron B5, unless you have 10 days to read it all

Needless to say, Metron B5 is an amazing ski. You will be happy with it, but before you buy take a look at the newer options. There is some spectaculare stuff that IMO is going to surpass the B5.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Interesting. The sales guy was trying to talk me into a 162 also, but I thought that might have been because he had already told me that was the only size they had in stock at the moment. Not that it's that big of a difference, but I'll probably be back to about 185 lbs by the time I strap them on throughout the winter.

Again everyone, I'm appreciating the input!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob.buerkle, Peeps that have skied them rave about the abilities of the Scott Mission's which would seem to be a "do all ski". Also the Falliner magazine ski of the year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob.buerkle, the Scott Santiago Mission (last years and this years models are the same, but with a new top sheet for this year) are probably a ski you could look to for that "do anything" requirement.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damn, out posted by a Snotman Evil or Very Mad
latest report
rob.buerkle, If you're going for float, go for the 172.
sorry to argue with the pros, but they suggested that I go with the 152, I got the 162, and LOVE it!
Although, ssh has the metron B5 in a 162 and he is completely satisfied.

The extra length will give you the ability to lengthen out your turns just a bit if you feel like it. go shorter and you'll be making tight turns all day with no break.
snow report
marc gledhill, Laughing Laughing Even on the hardpack of the PSB glacier folks were still raving about them eg Mr Helen Beaumont, Lampbus, Lord Whitenoise. All very tidy sliders.
snow report
Hey
Buy my B5 so I can try the snoop! wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 10-11-06 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
SnowHot, I saw the radius on the Sugar Daddy was 28m! Wow. Am I putting too much stock into such a high number? I see the Snoop is 20m. Would that still give me the hold and turns when I ski somewhere like Iceface....I mean Whiteface?
snow conditions
I demoed the RX8 two years ago and found that although they carved well, they got bounced around in crud. We had about 8" of new snow falling that day. I did enjoy the RX8s though. That same day I demoed then bought a pair of 5stars. I felt that they didn't get bounced around as much and held very well on hardpack. (That's a Maine term for ice.) Then last year I bought my Metron B5s. I feel that they carve just as well as the 5stars and are much more stable at speed. They clearly do much better in deeper snow because of their width. I ski at Sugarloaf in Maine but I take a trip once a year to the Alps. Two years ago using the 5stars I had to work in St. Anton powder. I sunk a lot. Last year I went to the Jungfrau region and skied on and off piste with the B5s with no trouble at all. They are my favorite all time ski. When you get them off to the side they carve so well, fast, slow, long, short. Previous posters commented on looking for a powder ski if you want to keep your Fischers. Not a bad idea. If you only want to haul one pair of skis around, then you can't go wrong with the B5s. Good luck.
latest report
Floppy the Snotman, marc gledhill, I see the the radius on the Missions is down to 14m. Again, am I putting too much trust into the numbers alone if I think along the lines that this would be a more aggressive turner than the Daddys being they are roughly the same underfoot?
snow report
SnowHot wrote:
rob.buerkle, If you're going for float, go for the 172.
sorry to argue with the pros, but they suggested that I go with the 152, I got the 162, and LOVE it!
Although, ssh has the metron B5 in a 162 and he is completely satisfied.

The extra length will give you the ability to lengthen out your turns just a bit if you feel like it. go shorter and you'll be making tight turns all day with no break.

Suggest he would be the arbiter on the original query because, if I recall correctly his ski quiver is the RX8 and B5.

I think my view is if you are driving stick two sets of skis in a double ski bag and they won't clutter up your case and get a fatter ski than the B5. I agree the RX8 are hard work off piste but that's prob down to my skiing Embarassed
snow report
narrow gauge, Thanks for the input!!
snow conditions
rob.buerkle, I think the only answer is to try out any skis you fancy before you buy them wink
ski holidays
rob.buerkle wrote:
SnowHot, I saw the radius on the Sugar Daddy was 28m! Wow. Am I putting too much stock into such a high number? I see the Snoop is 20m. Would that still give me the hold and turns when I ski somewhere like Iceface....I mean Whiteface?

I haven't skied it but the reviews all say yes!

Don't get me wrong. I really love my metrons, but my sad little mind is always excited about the next thing around the bend. If you have any doubt you should see my quiver pic some time.

I'm a sick sick woman.
snow report
dan100,
Quote:
Suggest he would be the arbiter on the original query because, if I recall correctly his ski quiver is the RX8 and B5.

I just sent him a message a little while ago asking for his input because I came across a post from him saying that he has the B5's as his one ski and I think I saw in another thread that he at least demoed the RX-8 if not owning it. Can't find the posts so I'm not too sure.
snow conditions
SnowHot, I did see it and wow!!! 10 pairs?!?!? I'm duly impressed!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
keep the RX-8s and spend your money on a few off-piste lessons, remember years ago people skiied powder fine with skinnier skis......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For everyone giving me replies - boy, never did I expect to get such a response so quick!! You guys are great!! And for those of you across the pond - shouldn't you all be at work or something by now? wink
snow report
rob.buerkle, there's a big difference between being "at work" and actually "doing work"...
ski holidays
rob.buerkle, it's all about compromise.

A shorter radius will allow better/easier carving on groomers, but will be less stable (read; more twitchy) in deeper snow and especially crud.

A norrower waist also allows better/easier carving, but sinks in deeper snow so is harder to turn.

You pays your money..............................
latest report
rob.buerkle, for one year I owned both the RX8 and the B5. They are not the same ski, feel different, and excel at different things... However, both are excellent all-around skis. The short version: I think your ski shop guy is wrong.

The RX8's radius is a little bit longer, they are more lively, they give greater snow feel, and they have a bit more traditional feel. The Metrons have an extreme sidecut, are a little more like tanks (they blow through anything without a lot of tossing around), they love very short turns, if they are tuned well (this is a big deal!) they arc tighter turns, and they are able to blast through pretty much anything.

The B5s are not "powder skis". There was enough of an overlap that I skied only the B5s last season. This season I am going to add back in another pair of skis that are a bit narrower and a bit longer radius. If I was doing 2 weeks in Utah, I would have gone the other way and gotten a pair of skis in the 90mm range.

All of that said, I feel compelled to also say this: I found the RX8s wonderful in deeper snow. I skied them in 18"-24" powder and cut-up crud and passed my level II skiing exam with them in those conditions. If one is patient and doesn't try to throw the skis around, they plane very nicely and ski beautifully in the deeper snow. You will sink a bit more with them than you would with a wider ski, but there is nothing wrong with that... we used to ski in the snow rather than on it, and many of us still enjoy that.

I would be tempted to take a powder lesson should you find yourself in those conditions, again, and enjoy the RX8s in those conditions.

Lastly, I did enjoy skiing the B5s in Snowbird and Alta during the ESA last year when we had about 7 feet of snow in 5 days. They are able to give a sense of stability in all conditions. You may want to consider the M:11 B5, as well, as a bit less extreme sidecut ski that will be more versatile for you, as well.

Hope this helps...
latest report
ssh, Yes, that definately helps.
Quote:
I think your ski shop guy is wrong.

I got that feeling, too. Trouble is, in Orlando we have only one shop. Peter Glenn. And in other parts of the country, I understand they have a good reputation. Unfortunately, down here in the south, they know more about skateboards, rollerblades, and kayaks than they do skiing.
Quote:
I would be tempted to take a powder lesson should you find yourself in those conditions, again, and enjoy the RX8s in those conditions.

Which is something I guess I really should consider. Kitenski mentioned earlier to me in the thread. Previous to last year's trip the most fresh powder I've been through was 6-8 inches. Since the West is becoming a more intregal part of my winter fun, I'm sure it would help. I guess I never really even thought about a lesson specifically for those types of conditions. Sort of the "Well, I can ski the whole mountain back east, why would I need a lesson?" mentality.

I guess what it comes down to then is that if I'm not going to see the magnitude of performance jump significantly enough to justify the large investment, there's really no sense in pulling the trigger on this one. Putting that money towards an extra getaway and some lessons would seem more appropriate.
Quote:
we had about 7 feet of snow in 5 days.

Can I assume you might have been there during the first 10 days of March? We were there from the 2nd through 10th and got pounded! Had a great time at Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton!

And I also briefly followed your link to ESA and found that intriguing. Especially since I just got back from breakfast reading the front page of Section D in today's USA Today. Sounds similar. I'll have to check out ESA more in depth when I get some time over the next day or so. Maybe that's what I need.

Anyway, thank you everyone for all the valuable info!
Very Happy
snow report
rob.buerkle wrote:
ssh wrote:

Which is something I guess I really should consider. Kitenski mentioned earlier to me in the thread. Previous to last year's trip the most fresh powder I've been through was 6-8 inches. Since the West is becoming a more intregal part of my winter fun, I'm sure it would help. I guess I never really even thought about a lesson specifically for those types of conditions. Sort of the "Well, I can ski the whole mountain back east, why would I need a lesson?" mentality.
I can understand this. Is doesn't help that picking an instructor can be a bit of a crap shoot. That's one place the ESA helps (see below for more on that), but the key is to find someone who will help you adjust your overall technique so it will work in all conditions. For me, the ultimate goal is any terrain, any conditions, any time. If you want to drop over to the Bend Ze Knees forum we could discuss specifics about this and I may be able to help you see the areas where you'd want to focus.
rob.buerkle wrote:
I guess what it comes down to then is that if I'm not going to see the magnitude of performance jump significantly enough to justify the large investment, there's really no sense in pulling the trigger on this one. Putting that money towards an extra getaway and some lessons would seem more appropriate.
I think that this would be my recommendation were you to ask me for it.
rob.buerkle wrote:
ssh wrote:
we had about 7 feet of snow in 5 days.

Can I assume you might have been there during the first 10 days of March? We were there from the 2nd through 10th and got pounded! Had a great time at Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton!
They got pounded nearly all season. We were there the last week of January for the ESA.
rob.buerkle wrote:
And I also briefly followed your link to ESA and found that intriguing. Especially since I just got back from breakfast reading the front page of Section D in today's USA Today. Sounds similar. I'll have to check out ESA more in depth when I get some time over the next day or so. Maybe that's what I need.
The ESA is pretty unique in the type of skier who is welcome (from the lowest levels to the highest) and the type of coaches that are available (the best of the best, IMO). This year, gold medalist and current PSIA Demo Team member Deb Armstrong will be among the coaches for the Aspen event, and there are also events in Stowe (early season) and Tahoe (spring).

That said, the coaching is not private, so for people requiring that level of attention due to either unique needs or preference, it would not be the appropriate option. I believe those folks to be fairly rare, but want to make it clear that, just like everything else, it's not perfect for everyone. snowHead
ski holidays
Not a lot of point in thinking about Scotts IIRC they are not available in the N American market but I could be wrong. I say go fat or just rent fatter skis when you're out west. & you can always buy online from someone who will know more than your local store - the ski store guy sounds to me like someone who just believes marketing literature.
snow conditions
fatbob, Scotts are available this year in NA. In fact, they've been available in limited quantities for the past couple of years.

http://www.scottusa.com/northamerica/wintersport/skis.php

I haven't been able to try them, yet, but I've heard they will be move widely available this year.
ski holidays
ssh, Thanks I didn't recall seeing them anywhere which struck me as a bit odd for a supposedly US brand whose poles & goggles were everywhere. I think it was the same story with their mountain bikes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy