Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip - is it better to pre-book skis or pay in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone, My wife and I are planning on going to Niederau in January and would like any advice on ski hire etc., is it better to pre-book skis,boots & lift passes with the travel agent or wait until we're in resort - what's cheaper or is there no difference? we are already taking skiing lessons here in the UK so will probably not take out the learn to ski package.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
-Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you will be in a better position to make an informed choice when you're in the resort (and you probalbly won't be), you might as well pre book if it saves a few £, which it often does; at least you know that they'll have roughly what you need (or should have). If you're using a TO they may offer a good value hire package, but compare because you may be able to do better yourself.

I don't know whether the learn to ski package is a good deal, but you should certainly aim to have lessons most if not all of your time there, since this is your first trip. You'll learn much, much quicker and it'll be much more enjoyable than spending the week on your arse, on your own. You won't find yourself accidentally at the top of a black without the option (but you will have the confidence to try runs you might not have done otherwise).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-11-06 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeb2168, A big welcome to snowHead Very Happy

To be honest on your 1st trip you will be nervous enough without worrying about arranging all that stuff. Do it through the TO. The TO gets big discounts on passes and gear, but makes money by not passing them on to you. In reallity there is little difference. Try www.snowrental.com for a comparison with what your TO is offering.

I would sugest that at least 2 hr lessons daily would be of huge value so early in your venture down this great path.

Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeb2168, welcome to Snowheads, and congratulations on taking your first step towards a lifetime of fun holidays. I agree with Floppy the Snotman, book through the TO who will also take you to the shop when you arrive, and generally help explain what is going on. Usually the "learn to ski package" is only available for complete beginners, which you won't be, but you will still need beginners skis. With boots it's a question of comfort, so make sure that you go back as often as it takes to get comfortable boots. It's a really good idea to have some lessons here (on a dry slope, presumably?) but remember - it's much more fun, and generally rather easier, on real snow. However, do take lessons for the whole week, as richmond advises. There is usually a class for people who are one step on from absolute beginners, and it's no fun at all flopping around getting nowhere. It's usually fun in a group lesson, with others at a similar stage, and this is particularly important if you have less than perfect weather. In poor visibility, in particular, it can be quite intimidating and bleak on your own, but fine with an instructor who knows every inch of the mountain and can take you to the right slopes for your level.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it's no fun at all flopping
Oi! Twisted Evil
wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mikeb2168, hello, BTW.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeb2168, Wecolme to snowHead

It also depends what time of day you get to your resort; it's not too bad sorting out kit and passes if you get there early afternoon all ready to go next morning, but you don't want to be sorting it out on your first ski morning when all you want to do is hit the slopes!

For your first trip I'd recommend booking it through your tour op.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with whats been said already
Niederau was where Mrs G and i started skiing and skiing has been our main holidays ever since
We went through the village last summer and were suprised how gentle the nursary slopes were, they seemed a lot steeper the week we were lerning to ski there.
I would recomending taking a mix of clothing The area is quite sheltered and we spent a lot of the time too hot
First time skiing we did not realise how warm you can get
Snow was fine tempature was still below zero
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you will be better of booking the learn to ski package and ski and boots as this is your first time skiing it will save you time in resort. you will have more come back if your equipment doesnt fit well or gets damaged as you booking these using a large tour operator,
unless your standard of skiing is good i would book the learn to ski package just to get to know people in resort. and improve your skiing quicker.
I have been to niederau 3 times and we as a family are planning on going again feb half term driving to resort . its a fantastic resort with some nice hotels and excellent beginers slopes and inter which hotel are you staying in? Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregt and mikeb2168, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

mikeb2168, if it's your first time then booking the whole package with the TO makes life easier. You probably wouldn't do much better on the lift pass in terms of price, for ski gear Inghams seems to err on the cheaper side, so you might get better equipment elsewhere but you'd pay a bit more.

You mentioned you're taking skiing lessons - is this on snow or at a dry slope? Personally I'd still take lessons - normally the ski school will do some sort of filtering on ability on the first day, so you wouldn't be with absolute beginners and I'd argue that skiing on a mountain is quite different from any sort of skiing you're likely to be doing in the UK. Mrs Hoppo and I did about 5 weeks of lessons before we struck out on our own - I don't think I would have wanted to have done less 3 weeks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeb2168, Welcome to snowHead 's. I agree with all the posters that suggest letting the TO do all the work on your first trip. The cost difference won't be significant one way or the other. Also DO take lessons, private one-on-one are by far the best if you can stretch to them, but even group lessons on the hill are so much better than what you will get on the tiny slopes over here. When my wife was learning a few seasons ago, we both did a 'learn to ski in a day' course at Xscape before we went, but were still very glad to have lessons arranged at the resort when we got there. As well as learning the technique its also great to have someone show you round the mountain. If you can stretch to it I'd recommend lessons every morning for your first three weeks skiing at least - you'll enjoy them and get much more out of the experience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikeb2168, as you can see, Snowheads are mostly big fans of lessons! This is significant; often people give up learning very early on, just assume they will get better without lessons, which is often not true, and they go off the whole idea. Those of us who stay keen have generally taken lots of lessons to try to keep improving. A few people can just do it on their own - but most of us can't! Please come back after your holiday and tell us how it went.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First of all thanks everyone for your invaluable input, it's definitely made our decision an easy one - we're going to book the skis,boots & passes through the TO and arrange lessons once we're there as we arrive mid-afternoon so will have time to get them booked. We are staying at the Sonja as we like to eat out while on holiday instead of being tied to the hotel times. All we need now is the snow to be plentiful for mid January - can't wait!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mikeb2168, Hi there and welcome to sHs snowHead

We learnt to ski in Oberau, the next village, but also skied in Niederau and we had a great time. If you are learning to ski, you may get the lessons free in the package as we did with Thomson's with the 'Learn to ski' package, so it's worth checking out.

You will have a great time, the villages are very pretty, the locals are friendly and enjoy their beer, apres is very low key but fun. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy