Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing under the influence

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the insurance thread...

Have snowHeads seen many examples of drunkenness on the slopes (by which I mean sufficient to put slope users in danger or cause displays of bad behaviour)? I don't think I ever have, not definitely anyway, in umpteen years (mainly in France, some in US, a little in Italy and Japan).

People seem to suggest it goes on a lot in Austria...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not something I've seen either. It's always been into the evening in the offslope bars before over indulgence has been apparent.

If anything on a recent trip to Bulgaria it was the instructors who seemed to be drinking the most at lunchtimes.

A drink or two at lunch time seems to be the norm most of the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think I've ever seen people that drunk on the slopes. Maybe a few of examples of over-exuberance at the end of the afternoon when people have started their Apres up the mountain, but nothing that meant any danger to themselves or others.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've seen some pissed people sking down in austria fairly late at night.. seems the norm there.. of course i would never ever do it..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, no pissed skiers/boarders, but a fair few instructors...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6132&highlight=drunk+death
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never noticed any.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Have snowHeads seen many examples of drunkenness on the slopes

Yes, a friend of mine (who I no longer ski with) got drunk at lunchtime, fell over, snapped his wrist. Went to the same resort later that season, did it again (same arm!). Nice bloke, but a total disaster-zone, even when sober. He used to ski in Bulgaria for the cheap apres, but after seeing some quite dodgy first-aid being handed out to an injured skier, he won't go back for reasons of self-preservation (he is a trained first-aider so knows what to look for). He now goes to remote places in Canada, where the snow is deep to cushion his falls, and where there is almost zero apres, and what beer is on offer is the usual canadian gnat's p!ss, which it is virtually impossible to get drunk on unless you are about 12.

I am sure we've all seen people going too fast or out of control, but it is impossible to say how much of it is over-excitement, how much lack of skill, and how much is drink-induced.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only in Steamboat before the Cowboy Downhill - th Cowboy Downhill is a great event to watch, basically they invite all the cowboys from Denver rodeo up and time them over a course - most of them have never skied before, but are happy to go and practice on the slopes before hand, with a heady dash of booze!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kirkwoods St Paddy's 600....

Well not quite 600 but six laps of the Cornice Express. Here's the drill, you find yourself a ski/board/drinking partner who likes the same beer as you and you get a 12pack of said beer.

You take your 12pack of beer to the foot of Cornice Express along with the other 2 person teams.

On starters orders you open your 12pack and drink 1 beer each (2 beers) and you have to finish the beer before boarding the Cornice Express.

Once at the top you can take any route down!!

On arrival at the foot of the chairlift you and your team mate again have to drink a beer each from your 12pack prior to being allowed to board the lift.

Repeat until first team reaches the bottom and holds aloft an empty 12pack with 12 empty beer cans!!

Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, surely it would be more efficient to ski the run 12 times and then neck all 12 cans (or vice versa Toofy Grin )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've skied down from the Moosewirt and the KK more than a little the worse for wear in the past. At the time there was noone else on the slopes, and I was in control. I certainly wasn't a danger to anyone else, and I don't think to myself really.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't drink at lunch time because I fall asleep. I have never been to an apres bar where I have had to ski home. Stumbling home in ski boots is a different matter entirely
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
I've skied down from the Moosewirt and the KK more than a little the worse for wear in the past. At the time there was noone else on the slopes, and I was in control. I certainly wasn't a danger to anyone else, and I don't think to myself really.

Are you sure there was nobody else on the slopes? You probably just didn't see them!

I must confess I've skied that little route in the same condition myself a few times.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd feel most uncomfortable skiing with more than one small plastic cup of vin chaud inside me. But then I'm not very good yet, so need all my limited brain function to ski.

Of course once we are back to the chalet, then I'm more than happy to indulge!
ski holidays
docsquid, same (or one small beer or a genepi). Skiing gives me enough altered conciousness anyway. Back in the chalet, it's a different matter.
ski holidays
Skied back down the hill at the EoSB with a few scoops in me. On one occaision there was me and another on the mountain. Just the 2, a bit mashed, and we managed to crash into each other. It was very funny.
latest report
Floppy the Snotman, if I remember rightly you both carved beautifully into each other from opposite sides of the piste Laughing
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, A good recollection..............apart from
Quote:
both carved beautifully

This next year however all collisions will be done with syle and panache
snow report
I don't really enjoy drinking and skiing waste of good skiing time apart from anything else but like many others I have certainly had a few to many in Austria in the bars above the resort before a slightly inebriated ski down but the slopes are pretty deserted and I am probably a danger only to myself. Embarassed
snow conditions
Floppy the Snotman wrote:
FenlandSkier, A good recollection..............apart from
Quote:
both carved beautifully

You have to bear in mind though I'd been drinking as well.
ski holidays
Never seen any in austria but in Bulgaria our ski instructor skiied with a hip flask of brandy in his pocket and drank all day, admittedly we were beginners but it was the 1st week of the season, glad I didn't go at Easter!!

Deb
ski holidays
As Kramer and richjp admitted to, I've done the run from the Mooserwirt and KK in a well plastered state (chaos at about 7:30-8pm Wink ), and also the top of Kleine Scheidegg in Wengen down to Grindelwald, but we were the last ones on the mountain here, so no danger to anyone.

Normally, it's very rare if I have a beer at lunchtime, I prefer to take on fluids with lunch, but have been known to have the odd beer at around 3ish on the mountain.
latest report
In France 5 years ago a T.O organized event positively encouraged people to get totally plastered before a torch light ski back down at about 1 in the morning.

Some will know that I don't drink and even for me the descent was pretty horrific as all the torches went out after a couple of minutes. The whole ski journey back took about 1/2 hour.

For that reason alone I wouldn't go torchlight skiing again.
snow conditions
Charlatanefc wrote:
As Kramer and richjp admitted to, I've done the run from the Mooserwirt and KK in a well plastered state (chaos at about 7:30-8pm Wink ), .

Been there, done that in 1998 - but the it is a very short run to the bottom - put my skis on my shouldders and walked down.
ski holidays
I haven't skied pi$$ed, but I have skied after a couple of beers and genepis (and after a bombardino or two on several occasions). Fortunately my natural (lack of) ability has prevented me from going fast enough to be a danger to anyone including myself. Had a very long boozy lunch last Christmas in Tignes that finished up being so boozy that we just rode the lift home afterwards. Was one of the best days of the trip Madeye-Smiley . Have never fancied nighttime or torchlit skiing anyway, I'd rather ski in daylight and drink in the evenings. Very Happy
latest report
Super Eagle,

Did a very similar torchlight run about five years ago. I got separated from the torches, got slightly lost and would never ever do something like that again.
Drink was involved as part of the evening, but not on my part, I was already stressed enough just with the thought of getting down the mountain in the dark!
snow conditions
SnowboardVicky and Super Eagle, I have also vowed never to do a torchlight descent again. Ours was in Flaine in my second week of skiing. I was coping but we came accross an even newer newbie alone and nearly hysterical on the slopes having been deserted by her more experienced colleagues. It took us at least half an hour to get her down - needless to say the torch was long since dead. I am pleased to say that I was sober (enough!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The point is not total drunken-ness (which is thankfully rare), but given the amounts of alcohol one is allowed (or not) to drink when driving, and if insurance companies enforce this exclusion, then the likelihood is that a couple of large beers might render you intoxicated from their point of view (trying not to pay). After very little alcohol your judgement is impaired, therefore you may be more likely to have an accident. I agree that major drunken-ness is almost unseen, but a little merry? Several peeps I know very well will have a vin chaud for mid-moring, a couple at lunchtime, and maybe another in the afternoon of their skiing day. If you're 9st and drink 4 vin chauds over 4-5 hours what would the result be if they tested you? I just wanted to bring this possibility to your notice, before you go skiing.

ps: hot choccy is great on the mountain!!!
snow conditions
easiski - there is also the question of how long it takes to clear last nights alcohol....

It is not uncommon at home for a booze bus to be out testing the roads IN THE MORNING.... they want to get those who overindulged the night before...

There was a SA uni mob had a lovely computer located at the agricultural show one year... it estimated time to be under 0.05 (legal driving limit) after a night out (based on age weight sex drinking pattern)... Gave a lot of people a shock!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
.... If you're 9st and drink 4 vin chauds over 4-5 hours .....
ps: hot choccy is great on the mountain!!!

Don't I just wish! I haven't been 9st since I was 9 years!, Sadly nearly double that these days, must be all the bombardinos (cream is quite fattening I hear) Shocked Laughing

Joking aside my 'breathalyser limit' (put to the real test by the Leicester constabulary two years ago) is two pints of beer consumed in 40 minutes. I reckon I'd be 'road legal' on the piste after a couple of small lagers and a vin chaud or two. But actually I find that more than one or two and I don't have the energy to ski much which is a waste of valuable skiing time, so it's no more than a couple over lunch, and save the serious boozing for the apres. Very Happy

P.S, I like hot choccy too!
latest report
little tiger, That's a very good point. I think I read that the body burns off about 1 unit per hour, so if you start boozing at 6, stay out till 2, get through 20 plus units (which is 'only' two bottles of red wine) it could be late morning or even mid afternoon before your system's clear. This is one reason (or excuse) for us middle aged types to be tucked up (or passed out) by 10.30 at the latest. Very Happy

And that's without addressing the issue of hangovers Shocked (or altitude and dehydration Shocked ). On reflection maybe skiing and alcohol are not such a good mixture. But they do both seem to complement each other, the exertion and the relaxation so to speak Puzzled
latest report
Hot choccy, now there's a sensible solution. (but with a shot of rum Wink ).

Being totally bladdered probably puts you at a bigger risk to yourself. A few beers might make you a lot more dangerous to others. If I do have a couple of drinks I try to stay right out of the way of others and don't push it. One drink can loosen me up but anymore than that affects performance - it might even affect my skiing too. Toofy Grin
snow report
DB, Actually being TOTALLY bladdered would probably put me at less risk, (as I'd be slumped in a corner of the bar, snoring happily). It's that in-between stage that I think is the danger. Have you seen the add on TV where the guy thinks he's Batman and goes after the balloons before falling from a great height? Fortunately I realised I wasn't batman a couple of years ago Sad Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
Joking aside my 'breathalyser limit' (put to the real test by the Leicester constabulary two years ago) is two pints of beer consumed in 40 minutes. I reckon I'd be 'road legal' on the piste after a couple of small lagers and a vin chaud or two.

I was totally shocked a few years ago when I was tested by my sister-in-law (a copper) on Christmas Day a few years ago. I'd boozed all day (with an element of sleeping it off) and still passed. There was no way I felt fit to drive. Maybe it was a duff machine.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-11-06 14:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
laundryman, Must have been, or maybe you metabolise it very quickly or something ... The trouble is we're all different, and so we almost never know if we're over the limit or not. I'm sure I'd be over after a demi of beer (I feel a bit drunk then). rolling eyes
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
DB, Actually being TOTALLY bladdered would probably put me at less risk, (as I'd be slumped in a corner of the bar, snoring happily). It's that in-between stage that I think is the danger. Have you seen the add on TV where the guy thinks he's Batman and goes after the balloons before falling from a great height? Fortunately I realised I wasn't batman a couple of years ago Sad Laughing

Go and watch the Mooserwirt run down to the village of an evening. There's people thinking "next time that mountain comes round I'm going to ski down it."
ski holidays
DB wrote:
... There's people thinking "next time that mountain comes round I'm going to ski down it."...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I was in Sauze for a couple of weeks years ago and on the middle Saturday everyone from Turin came up for the day cos the condtions were fantastic .. the queues were enormous so we gave up skiing and hit the bar ... we'd had 9 pints by the time it came to ski down the mountain ... was a very fine day.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Several peeps I know very well will have a vin chaud for mid-moring, a couple at lunchtime, and maybe another in the afternoon of their skiing day.

Does she mean me?

easiski wrote:
If you're 9st and drink 4 vin chauds over 4-5 hours

Thankfully not!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy