Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wee bit of eye candy

brian
brian
If this was at T+96 I'd be wett(erzentral)ing myself Very Happy

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice, but as you suggest there's no agreement in the GFS model beyond T+48. From the 12th onwards it looks more unsettled than it has been in the past couple of weeks, so fingers crossed it leads to a bit of snow (although speaking selfishly I hope not too much - I'd rather ski on hardpack In Tignes when I'm on a GS course in a week's time, rather than skiing in fresh snow).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-11-06 11:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, indeed and as you can see, since I posted that the 06z has updated the charts to something much less appetising Sad

There does seem to be a theme of the continental high giving way sometime next week though, so hopefully we'll get some precipitative action soon Smile

The pesky Austrians are looking well set for the weekend and into Monday and Tuesday ...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why does Austria get the best snow? Also France does seem awfully dry, is this normal or are they getting similar weather to the UK? Italy and Switzerland also seem to be suffering same problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micksup wrote:
Why does Austria get the best snow?

Do the long term weather records say that it does? Weather across Europe can be extremely variable, with some areas getting more rain/snow than others at any one time, but the following week the situation might be completely different. For the last two or three years Austria has had earlier snow than France and Switzerland, but I don't think that this provides a basis for saying it will always have the earliest snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robra, im out in tignes the same week as you, what do you think about the weather? Any fresh on the cards?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
robra, im out in tignes the same week as you, what do you think about the weather? Any fresh on the cards?

It's still a bit early to say with any confidence (I hope our resident experts will correct me if I'm wrong), but I think there will be a bit beforehand and maybe some during the week, but not much more than dusting. Perhaps enough to whiten the resort but not enough make much difference to skiing conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks rob, not the reply that i had hoped for but one which i was expecting Sad Ill probably drive to find better conditions. Perhaps one trip ill actually have some heavy snowfall!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
thanks rob, not the reply that i had hoped for but one which i was expecting Sad Ill probably drive to find better conditions. Perhaps one trip ill actually have some heavy snowfall!

After many years of trying this, we concluded the highest chance of timing your trip to follow or be at the same time of snow, is too book no more than 3 days in advance, when most of the forecasts are in agreement.

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Totaly agree greg but im restricted by my job. Can only get away last minute if its on the sick which is not an option. Perhaps niseko where it snows every day-apparently- will be my next choice! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:

Could be a long drive from Tignes. Not many places open that early in the season, and the nearest places that are open will probably have similar conditions. Are you able to switch your booking, perhaps to one of the Austrian resorts that are open?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yip, about 3 or so hours but none of us in the party mind. First choice would be cervinia but i think thats the same. Also been looking at zermatt where iv been b4 but not skid the glacier. Too late to change the booking as i would loose the majority of the amount. Hintertux looks a good bet but its 7 hours from tignes so not sure about that. Any experience of the mentioned resorts or any advice Puzzled Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brian, any significant snow for aust or switzerland by the 19th or too early to tell? Hoping for a michal fish prediction here Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
Yip, about 3 or so hours but none of us in the party mind. First choice would be cervinia but i think thats the same. Also been looking at zermatt where iv been b4 but not skid the glacier. Too late to change the booking as i would loose the majority of the amount. Hintertux looks a good bet but its 7 hours from tignes so not sure about that. Any experience of the mentioned resorts or any advice Puzzled Confused

3 hours to Cervinia? You must drive quick! What route would you take?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well SCGB are saying a bit of snow for Tignes for Sunday, Monday & Tues. And snow-forecast (on their 3 day outlook) are saying snow for Sat night. All my fingers are crossed! Little Angel And a bit more please Toofy Grin
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK! Its 88.4 miles from tignes to cervinia. Head to sainte foy from tignes through the border via the san bernard pass, then onto the motorway for about 40 ish miles and then head up to valtourneche. Easy! Rac planner says 2hrs 10 but id say 3 to be on the safe side. What about some other resorts?
snow report
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
OK! Its 88.4 miles from tignes to cervinia. Head to sainte foy from tignes through the border via the san bernard pass, then onto the motorway for about 40 ish miles and then head up to valtourneche. Easy! Rac planner says 2hrs 10 but id say 3 to be on the safe side. What about some other resorts?

Best make sure your car has good snow tyres!

That route would work well in the summer, but in the winter the road over the pass is a piste. I think the only sensible winter route is via the Mt Blanc tunnel and is probably closer to four hours drive time (plus the cost of the tunnel).

To be perfectly honest I don't think there is any resort within a day trip from Tignes, pre-season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tyres and chains at the ready. Judging by the current snow conditions i would expected the pass to be overt' other wise ill take the different route. Still alot can happen weather wise in the next 11 days.
snow report
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
Tyres and chains at the ready. Judging by the current snow conditions i would expected the pass to be overt' other wise ill take the different route. Still alot can happen weather wise in the next 11 days.

This page gives the state of the passes in the Savoie (currently showing all open). Col du Petit St Bernard normally closes in Week 45 (ie this week), but this is weather dependent.

Wht are conditions in Cervinia like?
snow report
Thanks rob, very good of you to give us this info which i will use on the trip. Cervinia has about 80cm cover with a couple of runs open. Zermatt looks the best bet with 9 runs open and good cover. Anyways im still looking forward to going to the mountains regardless of the lack of powder. This will always beat working! NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
This will always beat working! NehNeh NehNeh

Oh yes!

I was in Tignes last year before the first snow of the season fell, and conditions on the Grand Motte were perfect on piste if you like hard pack snow or were running gates and even the snow park seemed to be in reasonable condition. It was a bit odd coming down in the funicular to a green resort, seeing people play golf and strolling around the lake.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Our party are seriously considering changing our plans and travelling from geneva to hintertux or the kitzeinhorn ski areas. We would loose our accomodation pmt but there are much better conditons there. Whats your experience of these if any? or any advice for austria. Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
HARRYMAC2702 wrote:
rob@rar, Our party are seriously considering changing our plans and travelling from geneva to hintertux or the kitzeinhorn ski areas. We would loose our accomodation pmt but there are much better conditons there. Whats your experience of these if any? or any advice for austria. Puzzled Puzzled

Sorry, can't help with Austria. I think there have been a couple of threads about various Austrian glaciers recently in the 'Resorts' section. Good luck with finding great conditions Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy