Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Private Tuition

Poster: A snowHead
I want to have a couple of 1 to 1 ski lessons when I go to Whistler in Jan, can anyone recommend any good instructors and where to go to find them.

Thanks Smile [/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much do you tip? NehNeh
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well then..let me see...LOL Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought Karlos wanted the tuition so he would stop tipping over. Razz
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LOL @ Tomsk Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Karlos, tell me a little more about yourself, how many weeks skiing, what you are skiing on (equipment), what you like skiing on (terrain), what you dislike skiing on (terrain), and what you want to focus and work on....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin was very good Very Happy

sadly I forget his surname... but he was on some demo team thingy and had the locker next to Roger Smile
I guess I can find out if you really want to know....

avoid females would be my words of wisdom - the one I had lost 1/2 the class in 1 run... poor effort from a full cert....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have skied with both Meesh and Margie Berthoud (as will many others who have done Ski Esprit at Whistler) and can thoroughly recommend them. Good teachers and very nice people. Meesh is Canadian ,Margie is Aussie (though may be a Canadian citizen by now)They now seem to have branched out on their own. This is their website

http://www.gravityguides.com/

Not sure exactly how they manage this since I didnt think you could teach privately at Whistler ie outwith ski school. Maybe they have some deal with the mountain management.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Meesh is fun and likes my cooking Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
another option (though I am not sure how you would actually do it other than through people on here who know them personally) would be to try to hook up with any of those who teach on the Dave Murray Camp, which I have done a few times. The teaching there (in my experience) is excellent. I dont know if they teach separately but if you can get one of them you will do well (they tend not to take prisoners, on the camp at least, so if you are a shy retiring type you may not enjoy it, but if you get them you will learn a lot from them). Leslie Glaysher and Kim Mcknight (both female) took our groups last year and the year before and were spot on. This is the link to the DM Camp

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/reservations/Lessons/mg_34/v_1468/b_93/Atomic-Dave-Murray-Camp.detail
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Karlos, I can set you up with the Dave Murray people if you want.

As veeeight asks can you advise what you are looking for? There are a few instructors on these boards such as ourselves that could be of service. Veeeight is a multi season pro there, I bummed the whole of last season finding all of the (hidden) powder stashes and freeskiing. I would be available midweek only(booked for coaching for the ski race club on the weekends) , veeeight I expect could be available any time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I didnt think you could teach privately at Whistler ie outwith ski school.

Correct. You can't. You have to book Meesh and Margie through the system.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the response....

veeeight

We have 3 weeks skiing experiance, started in ski school, in Borovets, year after went to Geilo another week of tuition. Three weeks after that we went to Pila and skied on our own (wife & I). Its just that we find group tuition restricting and we would learn faster by having private lessons. Just bought myself some skis, Head C160i and the wife has Head coolthang skis, we both have our own boots. We ski on piste and and just wished that we had taken up skiing earlier...oh well. Very Happy

We just want to enjoy skiing doing our own thing, we dont want to race down the mountain, but need to get more tuition to improve. We can parallel ski with enough confidence on green & blue runs and the odd red. I dont want to rush things as I dont want to push my wife into doing something that she feels uncomfortable with. We just enjoy the pleasure of being in skis. I would think that learning to carve would be the next stage unless you think different.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Karlos, Meesh was my first Esprit instructor and we always catch up with him and Margie when we're in Whistler. They're both fab instructors and a great couple and I highly recommend them to anyone. It would be worth dropping them an e-mail through their website (mentioned above www.gravityguides.com/about/ ) if you're interested. They can then point you in the right direction for making a booking.

We're going out in January as well. Fingers crossed for lots of snow. Very Happy

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Meesh will be out of town during the week of the 15th Jan.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PS See that picture of Meesh upside down on the About us page? That's me 3rd from the right. Very Happy
ski holidays
Meesh was kinda little upset with me at the end of the last season - I beat him in a competition (he came second) to win a days heli-skiing..... Very Happy

It'll be all guns blazing again this season no doubt.... Laughing
snow report
was it a race?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 14-02-23 18:53; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
geetee, No, nothing as technical as that. Lets just say it involved a production of a home made video, and we'll leave it at that... Laughing
ski holidays
veeeight, well now I'm intrigued Laughing is it something you can post on youtube??
snow conditions
Karlos wrote:
We have 3 weeks skiing experiance, started in ski school, in Borovets, year after went to Geilo another week of tuition. Three weeks after that we went to Pila and skied on our own (wife & I). Its just that we find group tuition restricting and we would learn faster by having private lessons. Just bought myself some skis, Head C160i and the wife has Head coolthang skis, we both have our own boots. We ski on piste and and just wished that we had taken up skiing earlier...oh well. Very Happy

We just want to enjoy skiing doing our own thing, we dont want to race down the mountain, but need to get more tuition to improve. We can parallel ski with enough confidence on green & blue runs and the odd red. I dont want to rush things as I dont want to push my wife into doing something that she feels uncomfortable with. We just enjoy the pleasure of being in skis. I would think that learning to carve would be the next stage unless you think different.

Karloss, great stuff.

To my mind, the private for both of you sounds ideal! There are many many good pros out there on both Whistler and Blackcomb, my advise to you is at the time of booking to ask for minimum certification level Canadian Level 3 who is a long term pro on Whistler/Blackcomb.

If you're not happy after your session, please make it a point to say something to the supervisor, your satisfaction is key.

You may like to consider a SuperGroups session on Blackcomb, if you time it right and hit the 40% discount during "Discover Whistler Days" - you stand to save a whole load of money. SuperGroups is a maximum of 3 in a group, but if it's quiet chances are that they will send you both out as a couple with one instructor. But if it's busy there will be 3 of you.

Although I teach predominantly with SuperGroups, I also do request privates, so if you're interested, PM me.
snow report
Thanks for the info veeeight, we will see what we are going to do when we arrive.

I have PM'd you. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy