Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
ANYONE WHO IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH BOOTS.
At Big Dicks boardstore in sheffield, we offer boot servicing.
We have been fitting boots for 25 years and know what we are doing. We do a complete boot fitting service, we also fit conformable sidas inner soles. All the boots we stock can be heat molded to guarantee comfort and some can even be molded on the outer shell.

If you have any questions or want to ring 0114 2797909 is our number and Chris, our ski and boot technician will be in monday 10-5.30 but call anytime during these hours in the week and there will be someone to help.

Astraeus if your boot is older than 5 years old it may be difficult to get new parts for them, however if your in sheffield, bring them and we can see what we can do for you.
Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to Kuhtai / Innsbruck in a week and am wondering if there are any recommended boot fitters in that area. Looking to buy some ski boots!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would I be better off buying boots now or waiting until I'm in resort? Thought there might be some deals going now that season is over, or am I too late?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LeFou wrote:
Would I be better off buying boots now or waiting until I'm in resort? Thought there might be some deals going now that season is over, or am I too late?

It probably depends if you know what you want / need. Couple of my mates went for cheap deals and got ones that weren't the perfect fit so not that comfortable... I spent up and went to a bootfitter who after a couple of tweaks got mine really comfortable. Worth paying for in my view. (it was CEM from here Solutions4feet in Bicester.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For FIS next season, should I get 130 flex? More?Less? I'm competing in SL GS SG.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@affectedboat, surely only you and your coaches know that?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very particular information, but I don't suppose anyone has feedback on the boot fitting service at "Ski Ride" in Manigod? Or any suggestions for the surrounding area...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi I've been on two bashes and think it's time I got my own boots as I can see me going on more bashes.
Question is should I got to the shop in Bicester or Edge and Wax which is local as I'm in Brighton.

Also when would be the best time to buy. I think I heard somewhere that the new ski kit comes out in September.

Should I go for new stuff when it comes out or will the prices drop a little over the season?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you wait for the chance of discounts, you may miss out on getting the correct fitting boot in the right size, as there is a finite supply of each years' sizes. Some will sell out before Christmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pigeondave, edge and wax had a fantastic sale last month. Might still have some offers. They do a really good boot fitting service - have bought two pairs form them and they have been perfect, nice people too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre, I'm booked in for a fitting on the 3rd at edge and Wax. Just need to figure out how nuts to go. Do I get goggles and a lid while I'm there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pigeondave, go nuts! They also have a rewards scheme the more you spend the more you save!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, with 13 pages to double check I'm going for fingers crossed its not been asked before. About to invest in my first pair of ski boots, could someone recommend places in Kent please - preferably east or north Kent because otherwise I'd rather trek into London.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Wills, Alpine Room at Danbury, near Chelmsford might be a good starting point for you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone recommend in and around Manchester areas for decent boot fitting service. I'm looking to invest in a pair now as I'm fed up with "making do" with hire boots which are uncomfortable all the time.
I've seen on another thread someone recommend http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk Has anyone any been/thoughts on their service?

Also looking at their boot service, there are 3 types - Standard, Pro and Master. I have no idea which I need to ask for...?

Tempted to pop across tomorrow to see what the score is Very Happy
snow report
Spike107, If you have just been using rental boots then the Standard boot fitting service would probably be enough, there are several reviews of Rivington Alpine on here.

There is also Ventura near Haydock.
ski holidays
Just a quick update to say a big thumbs up and another happy customer after I visited Rivington Alpine over the weekend. Spent 2.5 hours with Graham who sorted me out with a pair of boots and custom insoles. This guy clearly knows his stuff and can't recommend him enough to anyone else who is needs advice etc... Very Happy
snow conditions
Another thumbs up for Graham at Rivington Alpine, sorted the wife's boots out last year. Best investment you can make.. wink
snow report
Thanks for the thumbs up for us (Rivington Alpine). Always great to see happy customers comments. I'll be watching the posts on here and will help where I can with advice although CEM has been around for a while so I'll still doff my cap to Colin (He still buys me the odd beer when we're testing ski's but not often enough Very Happy ). Cheers!
ski holidays
Just to close my story off.
I went to Edge & Wax on the 3rd Oct and it turned out that they didn't have my size in stock, so i got a ticket for £20 off and re-booked for the 7th Nov.
Turned up on the 7th, got fitted silver service, it was ok the fitter didn't say too much. I was glad that I'd read up on the feel and fit of boots on here. Didn't get to stand on the blue light thing like they show you in the video on their web site. But did get a free pair of socks as part of the promotion.

At the end of the day I'm happy with the boots been to a dome to try them out, I was told I have 12 months in which I can return for tweaks if they are tight anywhere. Not a bad service just not what I was expecting.

I was expecting a few more measurements and a bit more of a running commentary on why the boots being offered were the right ones for me.
ski holidays
I am usually buy boots in online store but before doing it I go to a local shoe shop to fit
ski holidays
Greys0n wrote:
I am usually buy boots in online store but before doing it I go to a local shoe shop to fit

perfect example of why your local store won't be there in a few years Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
@pigeondave, I've had my new boots fitted by Edge & Wax and pretty happy with the service. I did go mid-week however and the fitter (Toby i think) was more than happy to talk me through it all and was very generous in his time.

Rich
snow conditions
@Greys0n, please pay the local shop if using their skill set, I quite like having the shops there.
ski holidays
@Greys0n, your local shoe shop has ski boot fitters?
snow report
By them in Decathlon, the only place where you can take them back after using them if they don't fit.
ski holidays
Hi everybody! My friends invited me to go skiing with them but the thing is that my equipment stayed in my home country (I am abroad). My friend, who is about my size and my weight said I could borrow hers. I have been skiing for a good 10 years now, so I can ski pretty well. Her boots are a size 7 and I am a 6. Do you think I would be able to ski with her equipment or should I rent some which would fit me properly?

thanks in advance and sorry for the mistakes, english is not my mother tongue Very Happy
snow report
@celia63, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I would strongly advise renting boots in that instance.
With the skis, you could try them out (after resetting the bindings), but again you may be better off renting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@celia63, I would rent boots - well fitted rentals are likely to be much better than your friends oversized boots. When you look at the relative costs of a ski holiday, flights, accommodation, transfer and lift passes, boot hire is pretty insignificant.

However, bad boots will ruin your holiday.

Rich
snow report
Thank you very much for your answers! If I ever go, I'll rent boots! @RayZorro @RichClark
ski holidays
Is this ever going to get re-written? coming up to the end of the season. people looking for deals on boots.
ski holidays
@blueforests,
I can't say it's needed, the thread seems to speak for itself, go to a proper boot fitter, preferably in resort and you'll get the best results, buying online is a mugs game. There you go!
ski holidays
@CH2O, I suspect you are biased.
snow conditions
@CH2O,

What about types and brands of boots? I'm going to go ahead and guess all boots don't cater for all types and levels of skiing...
snow conditions
blueforests wrote:
@CH2O,

What about types and brands of boots? I'm going to go ahead and guess all boots don't cater for all types and levels of skiing...

No guess work involved, that's why you need to go to a bootfitter. They know (or should) which types and brands will fit your feet. Just don't ask about colour Laughing
latest report
My experience is that you end up paying about £300 for the boots and then have to pay about about another £70 for a footbed. Does anyone ever find that their existing footbed (assuming they have one) slots neatly into the new boots or that they don't need a footbed at all as the inner of the new boot is so good?
ski holidays
Hey, I am 22 and have been skiing a lot. I am really interested in buying some boots and know end of season is a great time to get some. I live in Liverpool and won't be in resort for a while. Any advice on when/where to shop?
snow conditions
So, first post, hi. Pretty pleased that this was the first forum I stumbled on to!

Does anyone have any recommendations for boot fitting in or around Newcastle upon Tyne? I've had good service from LD mountain centre before (other sports though) or I could go to Snow and Rock. I guess it's very much about the person rather than the shop so I wondered if anyone had any experience of either.

I'm a beginner so I'll settle for good service, it doesn't have to be world class.
ski holidays
@muddewater, my husband bought new ski boots Autumn 2014 from CEM in Bicester. He took his old pair along with him and Colin said there was no need for new footbeds, he just trimmed down the ones in the old boots as plenty of life left in them. They were probably three or four years old then.
latest report
@jasonvallen, leather ski boots? How retro!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy